DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does my HR20 show the searchign for satellite signal when a satellite is out while watching recorded content or when watching a channel i thas the satellite for.

Then it goes into screen saver mode while watching TV.

Seriously, it basically makes the HR20 completely useless when just 1 HD satellite isnt' coming in well even though everything else comes in fine.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
litzdog911 said:
Yep, it's a known bug. Hopefully it will be fixed soon in an upcoming software update.
I don't get this, it's a month later and this bug is still out there. I'mw atching TV all day with a stupid satellite message which says searching for signal while every channel I try comes in clear, and the stupid DVR goes to screensaver every 10 minutes.

As a programmer, I can't imagine how bad the internal design of this software must be that this bug isn't fixed yet. I mean seriously, how hard can it be to write a statement for when you get to the error message part to check to see if there is a signal for this channel or if there is a recorded program being watched.

if(!signal)
printf("Searching for signal on Satellite 1");

· Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
dougthonus said:
I don't get this, it's a month later and this bug is still out there. I'mw atching TV all day with a stupid satellite message which says searching for signal while every channel I try comes in clear, and the stupid DVR goes to screensaver every 10 minutes.
Most if not all of the major bugs are still there, even 2 months later.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
btmoore said:
Most if not all of the major bugs are still there, even 2 months later.
I think they really tried to fix it with this last update...obviously the fix didn't work. (I recall seeing something in the release notes?) If not, I'm just completely out to lunch.)

· Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
hasan said:
I think they really tried to fix it with this last update...obviously the fix didn't work. (I recall seeing something in the release notes?) If not, I'm just completely out to lunch.)
I have no doubt they are trying. I would imagine that the heat is on, I would hate to be the on the management team for this product. I would imagine finger pointing is at full steam, fur must be flying between marketing, product development and QA. We have had a few months now and I have do doubt internally the data points are building, and costs associated to the software problems are growing, and xmas is upon us, when lots of CE purchases are made and they are experiencing a lot of negative feedback in the online media and forums. It can't be fun for them, but I don't have much compassion for them because they are doing it to themselves. What is worse, sell into the holidays full steam with know product problems and deal with the fall out hoping that the software will be fixed before you have a critical mass of users or reduce your holiday sales plans and try to fix the problems in the software and miss your revenue targets.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
btmoore said:
I have no doubt they are trying. I would imagine that the heat is on, I would hate to be the on the management team for this product. I would imagine finger pointing is at full steam, fur must be flying between marketing, product development and QA. We have had a few months now and I have do doubt internally the data points are building, and costs associated to the software problems are growing, and xmas is upon us, when lots of CE purchases are made and they are experiencing a lot of negative feedback in the online media and forums. It can't be fun for them, but I don't have much compassion for them because they are doing it to themselves. What is worse, sell into the holidays full steam with know product problems and deal with the fall out hoping that the software will be fixed before you have a critical mass of users or reduce your holiday sales plans and try to fix the problems in the software and miss your revenue targets.
I'm sure going to work on the HR20 "team" is NOT a lot of fun right now!

I wonder how much of a "********" this box has become for them? (that's a rhetorical question, folks...I DO NOT want to start a tirade against D* or the HR20...there's enough of that already.

· Cool Member
27 Posts
btmoore said:
Most if not all of the major bugs are still there, even 2 months later.[/Q

I know two families that returned the receiver, cancelled dtv, and cable was at their house in a few days later intalling the cable dvr. I'm sure the cable companies are very aware of this huge problem and are licking their chops. I'm personnally hanging on to mine. Hopefully dtv can get their act together and kill the bugs.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
paulman182 said:
I'm wondering what a ******** is?
It's kinda like the "Ransom of Red Chief", where the kidnappers had to pay the intended victims to take the kidnappee back. And, yes, the ******** is a sticky situation, where you can't get rid of something because it sticks to you no matter what. (hence the tar reference)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.