DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, according to my tivocommunity friends, I've "sold out" (for the record, they're here too :D). I got my HR20 today and so far I can't complain. I know I have to give it a few days to load all the guide data and set up my season passes (I'm sorry, series links). This isn't my first or even second level DVR, I only got it to see what everyone was talking about and find out if this will make a good addition to the family when the TiVos go the way of the doorstop. Honestly, I can't complain so far. I've seen the issues with the new code (pixelation on the MPEG-4 channels) but that's about it. I had it record a movie earlier and watched it later without any problems. Caller ID is working and I think my learning curve isn't as big as I thought it would be. I still need to see how it works with Sunday Ticket so I know I still have a few days for that. With all that said....

What is a fair amount of time to give the receiver a true review? I know code upgrades are coming fairly quickly and that's okay.

By the way Earl, you told me months ago to get a comfy chair while I waited for dual buffers..... I think I'm getting bed sores! :D

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
I would go through a week and see how it did with recording and playing at least some of your series links, etc.

But hey, really, you'll be building opinions about the functionality gradually all of that week anyway. It's not like you need to submit an official evaluation.

Of course, give yourself somewhat of a learning curve for gui acceptance too.

I tell you, the speed on this machine is what's really impressive. That's with selections of menu options, and with changing channels.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
It took me about 2 or 3 weeks before I felt real comfortable with the HR20's user interface after several years with my DirecTV/Tivo DVRs. I no longer feel that the Tivo interface is as great as I used to believe. The DirecTV interface has some advantages, especially when the remaining bugs are fixed.

·
1 Posts
Does it have AI for learning programs you like? I really like that about the Tivo, the thumbs up/down feature.

I hope for some answer. It seems that you have to tell the DTV DVR what you want, and that's that. Can it learn what you want like Tivo?

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Monty22001 said:
Does it have AI for learning programs you like? I really like that about the Tivo, the thumbs up/down feature.

I hope for some answer. It seems that you have to tell the DTV DVR what you want, and that's that. Can it learn what you want like Tivo?
No. Tivo probably has a patent on the "suggestions" and "thumb up/down" software, so it's doubtful we'll see that in the new DirecTV DVRs.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
litzdog911 said:
No. Tivo probably has a patent on the "suggestions" and "thumb up/down" software, so it's doubtful we'll see that in the new DirecTV DVRs.
It is not probable... they do have a patent on the function.
Raiting of programs to determin and automatically record similar programs.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mikeny said:
But hey, really, you'll be building opinions about the functionality gradually all of that week anyway. It's not like you need to submit an official evaluation.
Yeah, I figure a week is pretty good. I've already stumbled through the GUI showing it to my wife but she was impressed with the one touch recording. I'm sure I'll have tons more questions as the week goes on but so far I'm loving it.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah, and for the record I'm running HDMI without any problems.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
litzdog911 said:
It took me about 2 or 3 weeks before I felt real comfortable with the HR20's user interface after several years with my DirecTV/Tivo DVRs. I no longer feel that the Tivo interface is as great as I used to believe.
I have to say that trying another DVR does give one a different perspective on the TiVo interface. There are features on the HR20 that I find myself saying, "Why can't TiVo do that?". In fairness, I find myself saying the same about HR10 features lacking on the HR20.

It does make you think that TiVo is a bit overrated by some. The highest praise for TiVo is that it's reliable, but I find it a bit like "training wheels" for a DVR user. There are things like Suggestions that I've never had much use for once I found out it was reliable about recording.

Don't let the TiVotees rag on you tfederov. You were a TiVo user before a lot of them knew what a DVR was. If they choose to be close minded, so be it. Some of them just wear their TiVo-ness like a badge that it gets old. I threw my support behind TiVo and I still use it, but now I'm ready to see what else is out there.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
bidger said:
The highest praise for TiVo is that it's reliable
And for me, that is the absolute #1 job of a DVR. My HR10-250 and two HDVR2s have worked like champs in that regard for years.

I'm not a Tivo fanatic; I have used ReplayTV and UltmateTV, and in many ways liked them more than Tivo. I don't have an HR20, but it looks like there are some interesting features. However, unless and until D* can get to the point where their DVR can handle season passes and manual recordings in a truly worry-free, "set it and forget it" manner, the features and speed don't tempt me at all.

I'm glad to see that they're furiously working on squashing the bugs in the HR20. But so far as I can tell, albeit as an "outsider," they have yet to prove that they can produce a highly reliable SD DVR, never mind an HD unit.

I hope they do. I'm a long-term D* customer, and I'm looking forward to their implementation of more national HD in 2007. Exciting stuff. But they absolutely need a reliable DVR to record it with. I'm fine, really, with it not being Tivo-branded; but, since they made the decision to move development in-house, the burden is on them to prove they can meet the same standard of reliability as the Tivo-based systems that they dropped.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I noticed a blue screen while watching one of the local MPEG-4 (FOX) for about a minute watching live TV. Known bug or could it be something else?

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
tfederov said:
What is a fair amount of time to give the receiver a true review? I know code upgrades are coming fairly quickly and that's okay.
It's common to do a full review once a new device/technology is out 90 days or more so that any original "quirks" are ironed out.

We're about 2 weeks away from that point.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
I've given it a positive review so far. If OTA is enabled and it doesn't work well, and they don't have the bugs ironed out by 1st of the new year, I'll be rather disappointed. It's why I don't mind if they're not rushing OTA into service.

·
Godfather
379 Posts
Tony - was gonna PM you to see how you liked it so far....

I might be switching back to my HR-10 full time (once 6.3a comes down) since there are things I just do not like about the HR20 - namely the 30 sec slip v skip - makes watching programs quickly not as easy.. I only have sometimes 5-10 mins to watch something like PTI, and it's not easily done with the SLIP.

Also I don't like how you can't switch between the tuners, and the no-dual-buffers thing....

Also I swear the HD picture is better with my HR10 than 20, especially the non-local channels (ESPN, especially...)

·
Banned
48 Posts
litzdog911 said:
how long do these patents last? i work in the pharmaceutical industry and patents on drugs are for a set amount of time. once a drug goes off patent, other companies can start selling their version of the drug albeit not with the same formulation.

·
Legend
127 Posts
Alvin Nuckleglazer said:
how long do these patents last? i work in the pharmaceutical industry and patents on drugs are for a set amount of time. once a drug goes off patent, other companies can start selling their version of the drug albeit not with the same formulation.
The patent for drugs is 7 years (my wife works for a pharaceutical company too) I am told that the patent for this type product (DVR) is 20 years.

·
Legend
189 Posts
It only took us 1 week before we hated it and saw how inconsistant it was with recording the shows we wanted to watch.

How long it will take you is anybody's guess. :D

Hopefully the replacement unit will work better (unless the new DL solves some of the many problems) ....and that could arrive anytime within the next week or 6!

·
Godfather
418 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
It is not probable... they do have a patent on the function.
Raiting of programs to determin and automatically record similar programs.
I would be willing to bet that the patent is on how they do it, not what they are doing.

By that logic, they could sue Blockbuster.com for offering me movie suggestions based on my previous selections and ratings.

Someone could devise a method for doing the same thing that wasn't too much like Tivo's and it should be fine.

You can patent a process, not an idea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.