DBSTalk Forum banner

What is your recording KEEP UNTIL set to?

• Disk is Full

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Delete It

Votes: 43 100.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With DIRECTV there is a screen under MENU > Recordings > Manage Recordings > Record Defaults where you can set your recording defaults.

The factory setting for how long to keep programs is until ""Disk is Full", but you can change the value to keep recordings until "I Delete It".

What is your default recording KEEP UNTIL set to?

1) Disk is Full
2) I Delete It

·
Registered
14,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have several DVRs, and when I first got each one, one of the first things I did was go to Record Defaults and change it to "Keep Until I Delete". I'd rather manage the deletion of the recordings myself, and I get a perverse pleasure out of pressing RED on a folder of programs to watch the percentage of free space grow dramatically. :p

·
Hall Of Fame
3,640 Posts
I use keep until the disk is full. Like others, if the show is in danger of being deleted, I'll use the blue button. I normally just delete the shows after viewing.

·
AllStar
330 Posts
I leave mine at default - we're pretty good about keeping up with our recordings so there's no danger in something being deleted due to full disk. I'd much rather the DVR be able to handle a full disk situation though.

On my old cable DVR system, I had one series set to record everything and I didn't realize it was recording dupes as well. It was in the Bedroom and I didn't have WHDVR with cable, so it rarely got used. I turned it on one day and it was completely locked up and non-functional because the disk was completely full. I ended up having to call the cable company and they had to replace the unit.

I doubt DirecTV's units have this problem, but it's just an issue I'd rather avoid no matter how unlikely this time around.

·
Registered
14,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before I got my HR34 I had spread my recordings out over multiple DVRs, sometimes leaving them there for weeks to a month before I'd view them, so I always wanted to know that they were safe and that I'd be the one to delete them.

Now about 90% of my recordings are done on the HR34, but I still have it KUID because the drive is so big it can take a long time to get through just what I record in a week!

I'm always behind, in other words! :p

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
KID.

I like to keep at least 30% of my HR20 free so long sports programs won't fill up the drive and be truncated. I don't want to risk other things being deleted if I were to have it "Until Full".

Since I am replacing that with a '34, I won't have either drawback, and 10% free will do.

·
Icon
1,083 Posts
Keep Until I Delete

My hard drives never get below 85% so space is never an issue.

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
Well, you can set the default to either..

I use KID for tv series and movies, and generally leave that as the default for new recordings. I use Disk is full for sports and for programs I record that I might watch but don't necessarily watch that often or all of. For example, I have my units record all the late night news, and all the late night talk shows. I max the news at 1 program at a time, and the talk shows at 10... I then look through the late night shows once a week and blue the ones that have guests on I want to see, and then I watch those whenever I get around to it... But I would never want one of those shows to take space that could be used to record something more important...

Your poll should have had a third option, depends on the program... :)

·
Registered
14,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
inkahauts said:
Your poll should have had a third option, depends on the program... :)
From post 1, this looking at the Recording Defaults though, so there are only 2 choices, as shown on that setting under Menu > Recordings > Manage Recordings > Record Defaults.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.