DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Legend
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few posts lately stating people have been with D* since the begining.
So I thought it might be intersting to see how long each of us have been a customer.

I have been with D* for 8 years.
I still have the self-installation waiver I had to sign at Best Buy when I bought my original Sony receiver.
Installed it my self and when I called to activate the CSR was surprised when I told him I had a signal strength of 98. :D
Back then you had to pay D* for basic service and USSB for premium channels.
Eventually D* bought USSB then they bought Prime Star.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Little more then 10 years.

I bought my first $650 RCA "advanced" receiver with DUAL LNB dish...
about three weeks after graduating college, and getting furious at the cable in our area.

The first account was under my parents, since it was there house.
Then when I moved to my town house (After my wedding), I officially became a member under my name.

·
Legend
192 Posts
I have been a Directv customer since 1996. So, a little over ten years. I installed my first Sony single LNB dish myself as well as the next triple LNB dish. The AT-9 was installed December 2005 by Directv.

They have been good to me and I've had very liitle problems as compared to the cable company.

·
Icon
763 Posts
Been with D* since 96, my first reviever was a Sony SAT-A1 with a single LNB dish that I installed myself.
Cost me around $950.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
TheMoose said:
Been with D* since 96, my first reviever was a Sony SAT-A1 with a single LNB dish that I installed myself.
Cost me around $950.
The pretty little white Dish, with the RED LED on the LNB assembly to help you point it....

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I have been with Directv for over 10 years. My dish was installed by a local installer and it was the Series 1 RCA with a single lnb dish for around $600. Then upgraded to a triple lnb and now the 5 lnb with 3 R15's, 1 HR20, 1 H20 and 1 H10.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
I have been with D* since 2000 (I guess close to seven years). I started off with the single lnb dish with the rca receiver. It cost me three hundred dollars at the time. I still have that receiver although I recently deactivated it.

I let the professional install it the first time, but I have installed everyone since. Everyone except the new dish for my hr20-700. That one seemed more difficult and they wouldn't let me install it since I ordered my box directly from D*.

·
Banned
63 Posts
The actual telephone company technician came initially to install the satellite dish and setup 3 sets. The bill for my phone service, DSL and DirecTV came on one bill from BellAtlantic. A few years later the account was converted to DirecTV solely due to Verizon merger.

Here is an article excerpt:

Bell Atlantic's complete package includes:
-- Installation of a quality, tested off-air antenna - at no additional
charge - to deliver clear local broadcast channels without a cable
connection.

-- Rental option for set-top box - eliminating up-front equipment costs.
At $5.99 a month per set-top box, consumers can enjoy the technological
advantages of a high-end digital set-top box and an 18-inch satellite
dish without purchase and maintenance requirements.

-- Simplified ordering and billing - consolidating programming package,
sports subscription and pay per view charges from DIRECTV, premium
movie and special event charges from USSB, and equipment fees into one,
easy-to-read bill from Bell Atlantic Video.

-- Customer service from a leading telecommunications company 24 hours a
day, seven days a week.

·
Legend
129 Posts
I became a DirecTV customer in 2002 just before moving into my first house. I would have gotten D* sooner but I was living in apartments where it was much more difficult to get. I couldn't wait to get rid of the cable company.

·
Icon
869 Posts
I have been a customer since 2000. When I moved into my halfplex, the ADT Security installer put up my Single LNB Dish with a Hughes Receiver. In 2005, I moved and had Ironwood out to install a Dual LNB and set up an R10 with the old Hughes. July of this year they came back out and replaced the Dual with a Triple LNB and set up the HR10-250 with the R10.

Mid September, back out again to install the AT-9 and swap out the HR10 with the HR20. I have two replacing the R10 and the HR10. Very happy with the service once I get someone out to do the work on the house. That is the biggest pain I have experienced.

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Since '96. Unlike you guys with your fancy SAT-A1 receiver and its RF remote I was poor and I got started with the B-receiver. I did get the the free upgrade via mail-in offer for the dual LNB. Sure did like that blinking LED to get the dish tuned in though.

I was in a rental at the time so I had to mount it to a post in the yard, bury the cable up to the house, and use the fancy little flat wire they supplied to run it through the patio door. Worked surprisingly well.

Sure did hate paying two bills every month though, one to D* and one to USSB.

·
Legend
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
The pretty little white Dish, with the RED LED on the LNB assembly to help you point it....
That was a great feature. It is how I got mine aligned :D

·
AllStar
79 Posts
Not sure but has been quite some while. We bought our first system (Sony A2, approx 700 dollars) it had that cool little dish with the red aiming led. Just did disconnect the old Sony dish a couple of months ago for the AT-9, but the A2 keeps on chugging along. I do remember paying 2 bills in the beginning, 1 to USSB for some programming and the other to Direct tv for other programing.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
Mike Huss said:
'93? Now THAT'S an early adopter, because IIRC D* didn't start broadcasting until '94 or '95!! :lol:
Summer of 1994, IIRC.

9 years at the end of Jan. 2007.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.