DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows how long I have to wait after I cancel before I can sign up for D* again and take advantage of their new subscriber offers? Can my roommate sign up after I cancel?

The reason I ask is my HR10-250 is stuttering like crazy on the HD channels (it's unwatchable now, but there has always been audio and video drop.outs for the two years I've had the thing). D* wants to charge me $200 to upgrade to the new HR20.

For that price I can sign up with E* and get HGTV and Food Network in HD, both of which I would really enjoy (not much into sports here). But if D* starts offering these channels in 2007 after they get their new sats up, I'd probably switch back (I'm not going to sign a contract with E*). So this is more about instant gratification and not so much because I'm unhappy with D*.

Which comes back to my question, how long after I cancel do I have to wait before I can sign up as a new customer, or can my roommate sign up after I cancel even though we have the same address?

·
Mentor
47 Posts
cornflakes said:
I was wondering if anyone knows how long I have to wait after I cancel before I can sign up for D* again and take advantage of their new subscriber offers? Can my roommate sign up after I cancel?

The reason I ask is my HR10-250 is stuttering like crazy on the HD channels (it's unwatchable now, but there has always been audio and video drop.outs for the two years I've had the thing). D* wants to charge me $200 to upgrade to the new HR20.

For that price I can sign up with E* and get HGTV and Food Network in HD, both of which I would really enjoy (not much into sports here). But if D* starts offering these channels in 2007 after they get their new sats up, I'd probably switch back (I'm not going to sign a contract with E*). So this is more about instant gratification and not so much because I'm unhappy with D*.

Which comes back to my question, how long after I cancel do I have to wait before I can sign up as a new customer, or can my roommate sign up after I cancel even though we have the same address?
:(
You wont like this answer but you will have to wait for infinity. Well or get a new phone number to tie the account too or move.
I've been a D* user since about '92 and just this past fall decided I wanted to upgrade my system. My equipment wouldn't even let me get locals. When I called they said they would "let me purchase" a new box. I asked D* exactly your question.. How long do I have to go without D* before I can sign up for the new "deals". I was told that as long as I lived at that address and had that Phone number then I was stuck with what I have. Well of course I can always purchase new equipment. After some talking explaining that I was a devoted cutomer for over 12 years they finally decided to send me a new H10-300 reciever for FREE.. BFD. I've been with them over 12 years and the best they could do was give a discontinued receiver.

I like D* and cant see not ever having it, but they treat their loyal customers like crap.

Wedge

·
AllStar
93 Posts
wedge40 said:
I like D* and cant see not ever having it, but they treat their loyal customers like crap.

Wedge
That was my experience in early 2002 and that is why I terminated the service then. This yr I reactivated my old equipment and inquired about an upgrade to HD. They offered me the H20m AT9 dish and multiswitch for $99 plus $19.99 for S&H with a $100 rebate. To make a long story short, the rebate was denied because I had been a customer back in 2002. I called the number on the card and politely explained to the CSR that I was never told that I would not qualify for the rebate at the time I ordered. I presumed the gentleman that took my order could have seen my old records since we never moved or changed phone numbers but he never said a thing. The lady put me on hold and came back with a settlement. Ten bucks off my monthly bill for the next 12 months. DEAL!

Five months later, I was also able to get the HR20 for $150. I paid $299 at Best Buy and DTV gave $150 credit on my bill. I got that from having a nice chat with someone in retentions. ( we talked about all the problems I was having with HD and the high cost of the DVRs compared to cabletv. He offered to note my account to credit $150 upon activation of the HR20. A day later I called DTV to verify that he had noted that on the account. That's a must!!! )

My advice is to call retentions express your concerns and be polite. Your mileage may vary but if you are not under contract and have always paid your bill on time, you should be able to get a deal.

I forgot to mention, a month ago, DTV replaced 4 of my oldest SD receivers with the new style because the parental controls did not work with my locals.

Good Luck!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
wedge40 said:
You wont like this answer but you will have to wait for infinity. Well or get a new phone number to tie the account too or move.
I've been a D* user since about '92
DTV was not around in 92 :nono2:

·
Legend
210 Posts
Its has been done. but you must have thought ahead. only put the subscription in one name. We canceled to go to dish about 4 yrs back then came back to DTV. this time we used my wifes name and there was no problems. they asked if i still lived there and she simply said no. afer that, new eqiupment was on the way!

·
Banned
614 Posts
Your roomate can create a new account in his name at the same physical address and get the latest offers. It doesn't matter if you share the same phone or not.:D

·
Godfather
532 Posts
cornflakes said:

. . .

This is very difficult to do. As I recall, it takes two years at the same adddress. They actually key by address, not name or phone. My son had DTV and until he actually moved the service to his new address I could not start my own. Once he did that it was a snap.

·
Icon
545 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Your roomate can create a new account in his name at the same physical address and get the latest offers. It doesn't matter if you share the same phone or not.:D
The account is tied to the phone #, doesn't matter if you try under a dif name, if you give them the same phone # they can not open a new accnt!! belive I tried that route some time ago!!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
wedge40 said:
Dish Network does the same thing... You need to tell them you want to disconnect. They'll ask you why and you tell them and I GUARENTEE they'll offer to upgrade you.

Call it what you will but I learned that when I left Dish. That's how customer service is defined now… Customer service does not exist until you tell them you don't want to be a customer anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.