DBSTalk Forum banner

How Long Should the Press & Hold Time be for Slow Motion, End, Jump to Tick, etc.

• Make the Press & Hold time MUCH shorter (1 second or less)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Make the Press & Hold time shorter (~ 2 seconds)

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Keep the Press & Hold time at 3 seconds

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Increase the Press & Hold time to 4 seconds or more.

Votes: 5 12.8%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently five functions are accessed by a 3 second Press & Hold:

SLOW - Press and hold Play ► for slow motion (like the old SLOW motion button)
BEGIN - Press and hold Replay to jump to the beginning (or previous bookmark if set)
JUMP UP TO TICK - Press and hold FFW to jump to next tick mark.
JUMP BACK TO TICK - Press and hold REW to jump to previous tick mark.
END - Press and hold Advance to jump to end of program (or next bookmark if set)

In dozens of posts, users have expressed dissatisfaction with the press & hold time being too long.

How long should the Press and Hold Time be?

If we have a consensus, this mightbe something to request through the Wishlist Survey.

Let's see what everyone says.

- Craig

Before someone else says it: "Oh boy another survey!"

EDIT:
I am told that if you hold down a remote button, it will output its primary command for the first 3 seconds. If you are still holding down the button beyond 3 seconds, the remote begins transmitting its secondary function command. All during this time, the HR20 is monitoring those transmissions in either IR or RF depending upon setup.

Five buttons have a usable secondary command at this time. But many more do transmit a secondary command that is not used currently. For instance I was told that the Yellow button's secondary command can lock up the HR20 in certain modes but I am afraid to try it.

It may be that no change would be needed in the remotes. The HR20 could see that the primary command has been transmitted for say 1.5 seconds and treat it as the secondary command.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
3 seconds is fine with me. Although, it'd be nice if I didn't have to do the "hold for 3 sec, release, and press again" workaround with my Harmony 880.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Actually it would be best if these functions did not require a "hold" and instead had their own buttons -- perhaps using the color buttons. It's difficult to program these "hold" functions into a universal remote.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
However,

Regardless what "the poll" reads.
This is an issue with the remote control, and not the units.

The remote control is issuing a differnet remote command, after that period of time.

So there is no way to update it via a "firmware"... other then assigning those functions to other buttons.

It would require a new remote to be released, as all the DirecTV OEM remotes, do not have a method to "update"

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
However,

Regardless what "the poll" reads.
This is an issue with the remote control, and not the units.

The remote control is issuing a differnet remote command, after that period of time.

So there is no way to update it via a "firmware"... other then assigning those functions to other buttons.

It would require a new remote to be released, as all the DirecTV OEM remotes, do not have a method to "update"
Could the HR20 itself be updated to do the same command when it gets the unique IR signal from the D* remotes as well as when it sees a constant IR signal for 3+ seconds (from a non D* remote)?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Could the HR20 itself be updated to do the same command when it gets the unique IR signal from the D* remotes as well as when it sees a constant IR signal for 3+ seconds (from a non D* remote)?
I do not know....

I'll ask though.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
Currently five functions are accessed by a 3 second Press & Hold:
Again, my own issue with the "secondary" functionality is not necessarily the time it takes, it's the fact that the button sends both the primary and secondary actions in order to successfully perform the secondary action.

Buttons should only ever send one action. If it's prior to the determined time frame (3 seconds), send the primary action. If it's after, send the secondary action. Never should a button send the primary THEN secondary action.

I really don't care about the time (3 seconds is fine, one or two seconds might be a little better, but eh - not a big deal). I do care about good user interaction design.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
iacas said:
Again, my own issue with the "secondary" functionality is not necessarily the time it takes, it's the fact that the button sends both the primary and secondary actions in order to successfully perform the secondary action.
I want to echo this - although I get impatient with 3 seconds. One or two seconds would be better.

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as of 12/08/06..

No one wants a longer press & hold time.

20% want to keep the 3 second time.

80% want the press and hold time to be shorter.

It may be that no change would be needed in the remotes. The HR20 could see that the primary command has been transmitted for say 1.5 seconds and treat it as the secondary command.

- Craig

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as of 12/09/06..

16% want to keep the 3 second time.

84% want the press and hold time to be 2 seconds or less.

Almost half actually want the press & hold time to be 1 second or less.

D*? Knock, knock? Anybody home?

- Craig

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
Almost half actually want the press & hold time to be 1 second or less.

D*? Knock, knock? Anybody home?

- Craig
1 second or less? You guys do realize that will never happen, right? The press and hold time needs to be sufficiently longer than just a single press of the button.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Ok, so, let me ask a silly question.....

..I'm about to purchase a learning remote (between breaking my budget with the Harmony 880, or going cheap with the RCA RCR815)...

...Can you program a button via "learning" by TIMING the learning to start AFTER the three second change of signal? Thereby having a one button immediate command of the secondary function?

Anyone tried this? Anyone?

TheYoke

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
PoitNarf said:
1 second or less? You guys do realize that will never happen, right? The press and hold time needs to be sufficiently longer than just a single press of the button.
One second is actually quite a long time.

Personally, I think two seconds is a good time, but my main complaint remains that the primary AND secondary actions occur when accessing the secondary action. The buttons should activate the primary function on "release" if under the time frame or the secondary action when the press surpasses the time frame.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
TheYoke said:
Ok, so, let me ask a silly question.....

..I'm about to purchase a learning remote (between breaking my budget with the Harmony 880, or going cheap with the RCA RCR815)...

...Can you program a button via "learning" by TIMING the learning to start AFTER the three second change of signal? Thereby having a one button immediate command of the secondary function?

Anyone tried this? Anyone?

TheYoke
I have not done this myself, but I'm fairly certain it would work with no problems.

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
as of 12/10/06..

14% want to keep the 3 second time.

86% want the press and hold time to be 2 seconds or less.

- Craig

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.