DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Godfather
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reset the HR20 yesterday morning. As of this morning, 24 hours later, it still does not have all the guide data for Friday night on SciFi. I want to set up a series link for Doctor Who.

It knows that Battlestar Galactica starts at 9:00, and it knows what starts at 7:00, but the 8:00 hour is blank still. And other channels also don't have the guide data for Friday night, yet.

I have been turning the HR20 off when I am not using it since I have read it downloads the guide faster when you do this.

Is the guide data erased when the HR20 does a software download on its own (without pressing the red button)?

If the guide is stored in RAM for speed of access, it sure isn't doing a very good job at speeding up the guide. Scrolling up and down in the guide takes ages! :( It should not take half a second to bring up the next line.

·
Legend
127 Posts
ShapeGSX said:
I reset the HR20 yesterday morning. As of this morning, 24 hours later, it still does not have all the guide data for Friday night on SciFi. I want to set up a series link for Doctor Who.

It knows that Battlestar Galactica starts at 9:00, and it knows what starts at 7:00, but the 8:00 hour is blank still. And other channels also don't have the guide data for Friday night, yet.

I have been turning the HR20 off when I am not using it since I have read it downloads the guide faster when you do this.

Is the guide data erased when the HR20 does a software download on its own (without pressing the red button)?

If the guide is stored in RAM for speed of access, it sure isn't doing a very good job at speeding up the guide. Scrolling up and down in the guide takes ages! :( It should not take half a second to bring up the next line.
I have the same problem. It has taken as long as 3 days to get the complete list. This is an unreasonably long time to get guide data. I also turn my HR20 off when not in use in an attempt to make it get the guide data faster. :confused:

·
AllStar
90 Posts
So let me see if I understand...

Red button resets wipe out the guide data and it takes 24+ hours to redownload.

Software upgrades... they also wipe the guide, right?

Recorder restart using the onscreen menus... this doesn't wipe the guide data?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
It should not take 3 days.

Should only take about 24 hours

The guide data is clear out everytime the unit restarts... as the guide data is loaded into memory

·
Icon
777 Posts
There is absolutely no reason that the guide can't be cached on the HD. This was a poor design to say the least.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
dervari said:
There is absolutely no reason that the guide can't be cached on the HD. This was a poor design to say the least.
There are reasons, and I have explained them over the last few months in a buch of different threads.

There are pro's and con's to both ways of doing it. (memory or hard drive)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.