DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have two DVRs installed. Each requires two separate lines, so for whatever reason (I'm not sure that the original installer knew what he was doing), I have four lines going from the multi-switch inside the house (at the distribution point) up to the dish on the roof. Now they are coming to install a 5LNB so that I can add an HR20. Does anybody know if they will need to add more lines up to the roof--or can it all be done with the four lines that are already in place?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,020 Posts
You should have 4 lines from the dish on the roof ran to the multiswitch and then 2 lines from the multiswith to each DVR.

·
AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, even though I'm adding another two-line DVR (this one, a high-def), the installer can still use the same four lines in place now when he installs the 5LNB? I'm already distributing two lines to each DVR from the multiswitch in the house. I'm concerned about having to add more lines from the multiswitch to the dish though (again, I already have four installed) -- I want to anticipate anything that the installer might try to charge me for.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,020 Posts
4 is all you will have from the dish for the AT9 and AU9 5LNB dishes only have four outputs off of the dish. They will go into the Zinwell WB68 multiswitch and then you will have 2 lines running from the switch to the first DVR and then 2 more lines from the multiswitch to the second DVR and finally 2 lines running to your HR20 and then you will still have 2 ports free on the multiswitch to add another DVR.

But again 4 line is the max that will be run from the dish to the multiswitch.

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
Do make sure the installer replaces your existing multiswitch with the WB68. That is required for the HD signals.

Also, if you have an antenna diplexed through your existing multiswitch, that won't work through the WB68, so you'll have to find another solution for OTA. There is already a lot of discussion/information available on that topic by searching the forum.

Carl

·
Legend
142 Posts
I've got an HR20 and the AU9 Slimline dish w/5LNB on order - If I only have the HR20 in the house, can I get away with only two feedlines from the dish and still have dual tuner operation? Or do I need to run 4 lines?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
If the only receiver you have is one HR20, and you don't need either the 72.5 or 95 satellite for locals or special international programming, then you should be just fine with just 2 lines to your DVR.

If you expand in the future and add additional receivers or dvr's, then you will need additional wiring.

One thing to consider though, with the AT9 (and maybe with the AU9), you have to remove the LNB assembly to connect additional lines, and you have to re-align the dish when you put it back on. So you are really better off having all 4 lines run to someplace, even if you only extend two of them into your house initially.

Carl

·
Godfather
311 Posts
MarkGreiner said:
I already have two DVRs installed. Each requires two separate lines, so for whatever reason (I'm not sure that the original installer knew what he was doing), I have four lines going from the multi-switch inside the house (at the distribution point) up to the dish on the roof. Now they are coming to install a 5LNB so that I can add an HR20. Does anybody know if they will need to add more lines up to the roof--or can it all be done with the four lines that are already in place?
Interesting... I am in the exact same situation...

I plan on having them use the four lines coming off the multiswitch currently mounted to the back of my dish, and have them directly go from the dish into my house...

Inside my house, I'll take those four into a 4x8 multiswitch and then feed my two current DVRs and my new HD-DVR...

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
With the 5-LNB dish you will still have four lines from the dish to the multiswitch. You have to use the WB68, older 4x8 or 5x8 switches won't work with the entire bandwidth that is capable of being fed from the AT9 or AU9 dishes.

Carl

·
AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay. I was installed yesterday and everything came together just as you folks advised. The installer is using the same four lines that were already installed and he replaced my powered Trunkline 35-TRDS8 multiswitch (4x8) with the non-powered WB68 (4x8).

So far so good, except that the cable runs from the multiswitch to the home theater room are well over 100 ft. and we couldn't get the signal to pass through that part of my installation with sufficient strength to get anything (even though I was able to get an amplified OTA signal from the antenna in my attic over these lines.

So, I purchased some in-line amplifiers and this is where it gets confusing because the packaging for these in-lines don't always mention satellite installation or HDTV. Just to get things going, I purchased two in-lines at Home Depot for about $26 ea. and something almost the same at Radio Shack for about $12 ea. I know--if it works, just go with it. But I'm only getting a signal strength of about 77%, where I get about 94% at my other receivers.

Can someone explain how I might get a stronger signal over this longer cable run?

Also, I pretty much max out a 4x8 multiswitch with the addition of the HR20 along with my two SD DVRs. I know that my HD signal needs to come through the WD68, but can I cascade my old multiswitch into this knew setup. That is, take two lines from the WB68 and feed them into the powered Trunkline, and then take another eight lines from that (as long as I'm not feeding an HD receiver)? If I do this, which of the 4 inputs on the Trunkline do I use (one LNB A 13VDC and one LNB B 13VDC? There are also 18VDC for A and B.)?

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
If you need to cascade your older multiswitch for the SD receivers, you need to run FOUR lines from the WB68 outputs to all four SatA and SatB inputs on the older multiswitch. You will then have 4 remaining outputs on the WB68, and eight available outputs on your older switch.

The reason you need all four lines, is because the connections are two-way communication links. The receiver sends a signal to the dish to request a satellite/transponder/polarity, and the dish sends the appropriate signal back to the receiver. There are four possible combinations of this signalling.

When you run a line directly from the dish to the receiver, there is no problem as the dish gets the request from the receiver. But when you add a multiswitch, what the multiswitch actually does is to lock each of it's four inputs to one of the four signalling combinations so that specific signal is always available at the multiswitch input. Then, with up to 8 (or 16 with some multiswitches) receivers connected, no matter which of the four combinations the receiver asks for, the multiswitch will have that signal available, and cross connects the appropriate input to the appropriate output.

If you use fewer than four, then the multiswitch will not have access to some of the signalling combinations, and you will end up with a searching for satellite error on the receiver.

Carl

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
Hey, i'm sorry ahead of time if this question has been asked before or I am clueless about what i'm talking about. I am getting my HR20 installed on 12/20 and after reading this thread, I was curious to see what I have coming down from my current DirecTV dish.

My current situation: I still have the older Samsung basic receiver and I see 2 cable lines coming down from the dish. Those 2 lines are connected outside to 2 other lines that run into the cable box inside the house. I used to have 2 basic recievers but now only use only one.

I have several questions if someone can help me... I appreciate the help:

(1) If only one receiver will be used in the house (the HR20), does this mean that the 2 cable lines coming from the current dish will be adequete?

(2) If I decide in the future to have more receivers in the house, will I have to get more lines installed from the dish since 2 of them are already used up by the HR20? I am guessing I will and I'm wondering if I can just get the installer to run the 2 extra cables (total of 4) just in case I need to get more receivers in the future.

(3) Finally, there is only one cable connection in the living room where I will have the HR20. Will the installer have to run cable inside the house from the cable box to this connection or will a diplexer work? I currently use a diplexer to couple the DTV signal & OTA signal from the cable box to the living room and then using another diplexer to split them back up and feeding one into the DTV receiver & one into the ANT in of the HDTV.

I am sure the installer knows what they are doing, I just wanto be ready for anything that might come up.

Thanks again for your help

·
AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
carl6 said:
If you need to cascade your older multiswitch for the SD receivers, you need to run FOUR lines from the WB68 outputs to all four SatA and SatB inputs on the older multiswitch. You will then have 4 remaining outputs on the WB68, and eight available outputs on your older switch.

The reason you need all four lines, is because the connections are two-way communication links. The receiver sends a signal to the dish to request a satellite/transponder/polarity, and the dish sends the appropriate signal back to the receiver. There are four possible combinations of this signalling.

When you run a line directly from the dish to the receiver, there is no problem as the dish gets the request from the receiver. But when you add a multiswitch, what the multiswitch actually does is to lock each of it's four inputs to one of the four signalling combinations so that specific signal is always available at the multiswitch input. Then, with up to 8 (or 16 with some multiswitches) receivers connected, no matter which of the four combinations the receiver asks for, the multiswitch will have that signal available, and cross connects the appropriate input to the appropriate output.

If you use fewer than four, then the multiswitch will not have access to some of the signalling combinations, and you will end up with a searching for satellite error on the receiver.

Carl
Great answer! Thanks so much. Any thoughts on my amplification issue? Am I expecting too much to get an HD signal greater than 77%, when my SD signals on shorter runs are 94%. I don't even understand how these in-line amps works. From what do they get their power?

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about the exact reading. If you are getting a good picture, and don't have significant pixelating or blocking, then you have a good enough signal.

Different model receivers report signal differently. An H20 will typically show 15 to 20 points lower signal than an HR20, for example.

Carl

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
RollTideinHD said:
(1) If only one receiver will be used in the house (the HR20), does this mean that the 2 cable lines coming from the current dish will be adequete?
Yes, that will work.

RollTideinHD said:
(2) If I decide in the future to have more receivers in the house, will I have to get more lines installed from the dish since 2 of them are already used up by the HR20? I am guessing I will and I'm wondering if I can just get the installer to run the 2 extra cables (total of 4) just in case I need to get more receivers in the future.
Every receiver, and every tuner input on a DVR, requires it's own dedicated line back to the dish. Absolutely run all 4 lines from the dish to a common or central point where you can then run wire to additional rooms/locations.

RollTideinHD said:
(3) Finally, there is only one cable connection in the living room where I will have the HR20. Will the installer have to run cable inside the house from the cable box to this connection or will a diplexer work?
You will need a separate line for each tuner. You can't split or diplex to get the second tuner feed.

RollTideinHD said:
I currently use a diplexer to couple the DTV signal & OTA signal from the cable box to the living room and then using another diplexer to split them back up and feeding one into the DTV receiver & one into the ANT in of the HDTV.
You can't diplex with the new AT9 or AU9 5-LNB dish and WB68 multiswitch. If you want OTA, you need to have a separate coax run to your TV location.

RollTideinHD said:
I am sure the installer knows what they are doing, I just wanto be ready for anything that might come up.
Some do, some don't. The more you know the better off you will be.

Carl

·
AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
carl6 said:
I wouldn't worry so much about the exact reading. If you are getting a good picture, and don't have significant pixelating or blocking, then you have a good enough signal.

Different model receivers report signal differently. An H20 will typically show 15 to 20 points lower signal than an HR20, for example.

Carl
You are SO wise. I was reporting signal levels that I was getting from the H20 that was installed until the HR20 arrived. With no other changes, and with the in-line amplifiers installed, I went from a peak of 77% as reported by the H20, to a peak of 100% as reported by the HR20. I couldn't be happier. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
The "wiseness" comes from everyone on these forums. The users contribute an exceptional amount of information - this being one example. I've never even seen an H20 or an HR20 - but I've sure read what many others have said - people who I've learned over time seem to know what they are talking about.

Carl

·
3 Posts
carl6 said:
If the only receiver you have is one HR20, and you don't need either the 72.5 or 95 satellite for locals or special international programming, then you should be just fine with just 2 lines to your DVR.

Carl
I have a similar situation, and I think I was ok right up to the point in your answer that I bolded. I have a 3 LNB dish on my roof now, with what appears to be five wires coming down into the house. I have two DirecTivos (two tuners each) and a third DirecTivo with only one tuner active. I'd like to replace one of the first two with an HR-20. I'd like both tuners on the HR-20 active, and also want local HD channels through DirecTV (not OTA).

From the rest of this thread I understand that I should only need four wires coming down from the dish, so I should be ok. Since I want locals though, will I need something more? Or do the four wires from the dish cover locals too?

Also, just to confirm, since I already have two wires going from my multi to the DirecTivo that I'm going to replace, I won't need any more wires there either, right? If absolutely necessary I can punch more wires in from my dish to the house. Since I finished the basement though I can not take more wires from the multi to the entertainment center.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.