DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't want a dish and an hdtv antenna hanging on the outside of my home and was just wondering if mounting this in my attic will work, I noticed a few others on the web did this and it seems to work in their attic. My attic is pretty high up and very open so the size will not be an issue. Also, is this the best hdtv ota antenna to get?, It seems to be...:confused:

PLMK, thanks.

· AllStar
61 Posts
I have a two-bay bow tie antenna in my attic, and it's been working well for me. I'm about 10-15 miles from the transmitters, but I have several nearby trees directly in-line between my house and the transmitters. It's worked through thunderstorms and also when I had 12+ inches of snow on my roof. My picture is not always perfect, there is artifact at times, but it's completely acceptable to me.

· MRVing
3,781 Posts
My OTA antenna is in the attic, but it's just a Phillips Silver Sensor set top antenna. :lol:

Still, even with splitting, diplexing into the DirecTV RG6, and then more splitting it provides 100% signal strength to all TVs and HR20s. Of course only being 13-15 miles from the transmitters (all the important ones are in the same direction too) helps.

· Godfather
316 Posts
When I had a CM4228 I had it mounted outside. It worked great but had to replace it due to its heavy weight and wind loading. It destroyed my rotor. I really wish I could afford to do a tower install. I replaced it with a much lighter 43XG yagi and a winegard pre-amp that works almost as good except I now I don't get the VHF Hi channels anymore.

6 Posts
There are several things you need to be aware of, but the bottom line for you (assuming you're in Picayune, MS) is that I think you'll be fine. It'll just take a little work and experimenting. I just went through all this myself (quite a learning experience!); I wound up pretty happy with the results, and I think you're in a lot better shape reception-wise than I am.

A couple of useful web sites, in case you haven't been to them yet, are (since I can't post URLs yet, I had to put in extra spaces):

w w w.tvfool.com - great details on the stations/directions/signal strengths, etc.
w w w.hdtvprimer.com - the section on antennas has all sorts of good stuff

One important factor: It looks like two of your New Orleans stations (WVUE Fox and WYES PBS) are going to be in the high VHF (ch 7-13) range after the analog cutoff. (WVUE is currently on UHF-29, but will move down to VHF-11.) An antenna designed for UHF like the 4228 sometimes also works for high VHF for some people, but I suspect you're too far from the transmitters (40+ miles) to be able to do that in your attic.

So you may be able to get by with a UHF antenna like the 4228, or you may need to combine it with a high VHF antenna like the Winegard YA 1713. (And of course there are combined UHF/VHF antennas, too...) There are lots of ins and outs to all this (preamp? splitter?) - too much to just dump into one giant post. Check out the info in those two websites and see what you think. There's also an area over at AVS forums:

w w w.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=381623

dedicated to all things antenna. Or just ask here and I'll try to help.

-WIrving

· Child of the 60's
3,127 Posts
I've got a 4228 in my attic and it works like a champ! Just be sure you don't have any metal (siding, roof, etc.) between it and the local towers. Good luck!

John

· Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wiriving: I am a member over at AVES, great site and I have been to antenna web and TV fool too. I just can get used to having a dish and having to do the OAT thing too but I suppose I shall see...should I assume your in the same zip code too since you deciphered it so quickly? Thanks for the info and welcome to the site.

6 Posts
Todd,

Actually I'm in Auburn, AL. Unhappy position of being in a market I don't care about (Columbus, GA) and on the fringe of a different market (Montgomery, AL) I'd prefer to get. So I put up the antenna for Montgomery. I'd *really* prefer the Mobile locals (Saints games!!), but that's another subject...

Anyway, let me know if you think I might be able to help with your project.

-WIrving

· Godfather
452 Posts
Foil-backed radiant barrier, popular in new construction in southern climates and mold-resistant zinc-impregnated shingles will impart substantial signal level attenuation to attic-mounted antennas. I am 20 miles from the antenna farm in Houston and had major problems with the attic antennas. Once outside, even pole mounted below the fence line and it works great. 100% signal on all OTA stations.

YMMV (your mileage may vary)

· Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cap'n Preshoot;1738409 said:
Foil-backed radiant barrier, popular in new construction in southern climates and mold-resistant zinc-impregnated shingles will impart substantial signal level attenuation to attic-mounted antennas. I am 20 miles from the antenna farm in Houston and had major problems with the attic antennas. Once outside, even pole mounted below the fence line and it works great. 100% signal on all OTA stations.

YMMV (your mileage may vary)
Good to know, thanks!
Katy is a neat area, FWIW

· Godfather
430 Posts
My CM 4228 is mounted in a pole 20 foot in the air. I pick up stations as far as 50 miles away with no problem.
I also have a CM 3021 pre-amp.
One of my channels is digital channel 7.1. Its 38 miles away.
Antennaweb says I cannot pick up the signal but TVFOOL says I can.
I pick it up with 92% signal strength. I do have some multi pathing every once in a while but only during bad tropo days.
Mount it outside and you will not go wrong.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
fredinva said:
My cm 4228 is roof mounted.
I once read that an attic install will lose 30 to 40% of signal.
fred
Depends a lot on your building materials (shingles, braces, sheathing, siding, etc.)

I am about 40 miles from the transmitters and get a great signal with an attic mounted 30 - 50 mile range antenna.

· Godfather
325 Posts
Grentz said:
Depends a lot on your building materials (shingles, braces, sheathing, siding, etc.)

I am about 40 miles from the transmitters and get a great signal with an attic mounted 30 - 50 mile range antenna.
What antenna do you have? Any VHF channels? Are your channels in different directions/do you have to use a rotor?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just trying to figure this out for myself as well.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
It has been a long time since it was setup (15yrs+), so I cant really tell you the model and such (dont remember), but it is similar to this I believe:
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=ANC3016

All the transmitters are in the same direction from me and about 32-40 miles away.

I also have a separate amplifier on the line (plug in type from Radioshack), but this could be needed also because the line is split to 10 or so jacks and not all are terminated. The antenna is mounted in my attic which is about 1.5 - 2 stories off the ground. Shingle roof. the antenna is between the trusses (the large gaps between the elements help to make this work) and suspended by a few wires that are nailed to the trusses.

It has worked very well for 15yrs or so for UHF, VHF, and FM. and now works great for the digital OTA channels in my area (Minneapolis).

· Godfather
325 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly the type of antenna I have been looking at. The only thing I may end up needing is a rotor because one of my stations is in the opposite direction. Although using an inside antenna now, I really don't have to move it around much to get all the channels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.