DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, I really miss watching the NHL now that the preview week is gone. :(

I mainly enjoy watching football and baseball. I'm just not sure what to do now that we possibly might see the NBA Season Pass.

Would anyone like to guess on how much the NBA package will be when it becomes available?

Maybe I should sub to both packages? thats alot of $$$$$.
*decisions* :shrug: *decisions*

G

·
I think with DirecTV, it's $179 regular price, $159 early-bird price (signup by Nov 5), and $149 automatic renewal for last season's pass-holders. There is also a half-season package offered in mid-January for about $100. I believe cable charges about the same prices, and I assume when Dish finally signs a contract, they would also charge similar prices.

1,096 Posts
I subscribed to the NHL Center Ice package and pulled the plug on Showtime since the championship boxing matches on Saturday nights are no longer all that interesting to me and the new movies featured there aren't enough to justify me keeping it any longer. I used to enjoy watching Tyson box once upon a time there, but it no longer holds the same appeal and Bobby Chez (SP?) just doesn't do much for me. Seems like HBO's boxing coverage is much better nowadays anyways and I'd rather hear Lampley or Foreman over the guys doing the Showtime fights. I'll watch some of the Celtics games on Fox Sports New England with passing interest, but I'm not a big enough NBA fan to warrant going for the NBA season pass. Pro hockey is where its at for me.

· Icon
715 Posts
Yeah, it gets expensive when you subscribe to one or more packages.

I buy the MLB one every year, my dad and I split the NFL ST and he comes over to watch the games on all of the TV's.

I've had the NBA package too every year since 1996, but some years I lose interest in the eastern conference no-scoring boring teams. :) When I lived in Phoenix, the package stunk for Suns games. COX/ASPN 9 feeds that were on the NBA package one year early on suddenly weren't on anymore. I didn't even have the opportunity to get Dimension/COX cable as my apt complex didn't have it. I was blacked out of a lot of Suns games for a few years since LP had to use the visiting teams feed. (COX 9 feeds were always from home). I'm undecided whether to renew for this year. NBA OTA backhauls the last 2 years haven't been scrambled on c-band (after about 5 years) and c/ku digital is on the way for me (Woohoo!), so I don't know yet.

NHL package: Well, 1st year I had satellite is the year Gretzky joined the Kings in 1988. I jumped on the bandwagon and haven't got off yet. :) Hockey is too boring for me overall though. Much more exciting at the Forum or Staples in-person. I subscribed one year in Phoenix to watch the CBC feeds (Coach's Corner) when those feeds went digital on c-band, but I won't get it anytime soon. I barely watched the games from the last week. Just wanted to catch the DirecTV mistakes if any. There were even 2 Islanders games on SBS 6 this week plus the usual games from Columbus again this year on Ku, but I don't really follow it until March and then I'm ready. Kings I know are 3-0, so that's good.

I have 7 DirecTV receivers and 3 from Dish. If the sports packages that I like are on Dish then that's great, but I have more DirecTV receivers. so that's where the programming is going for now.

· Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
Have got both packages this season on D*....BTW.....when did D* start including preseason NBA games as part of the free preview period?!!!

· Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it's tough when you like all sports programming.
I primarily watch Baseball and Football, but I do enjoy the NBA and NHL. I was watching hockey every evening during the free preview week. :)

Maybe we should talk more NHL here in the forum. :)

· Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
I had NHL when I had Digital cable and used it all the time to watch my Mighty Ducks....

I think MLBEI and NFLST are better buys and are the two packages I go with every year. I haven't subscribed to NHL Center Ice since DirecTV, but if you like the NHL its a good package. I'd just rather spend my money on MLBEI and NFLST, but I realize some people don't have that option.

· Godfather
286 Posts
I have an automatic renewal for the NBA LP with DTV, but if Dish gets the NBA LP, I will get it from Dish and suspend my subscription frpm DTV until MLB EI starts. If Dish doesn't get the NBA, I may just purchase a second DTV receiver and end my subscription with Dish. It's a long soap opera how I ended up with both, but I think it's getting ridiculous to pay for many of the the same channels on both.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
I would really like NHL CI, I have the $160 bucks, but it seems like an awful lot to me to pay for it. I miss flipping from one game to the next :(. NFL ST would be the only other sports subscription I'd be interested in.

1,096 Posts
They broke down the cost of the Center Ice package per game on the Charlie Chat the other night and I thought it was like $ .15 cents or something when all was said and done. Not too bad of a deal for me if I consider the costs I would save attending a game or two at the FleetCenter factoring in my time, parking, food, and drinks. I think you and John should both go for it. I had season tickets one year with the Bruins and it cost me $847.00 for 41 home games way up in the balcony (second to last row at the top but still a great view at the blue line) just for tickets alone including one bonus preseason game. Glad I did it as it was one of those things on my list to do before I die, but I'd sooner get the CI package now and enjoy action from all around the league. You can easily drop $160 going to a few games in person with a friend when you factor in everything including the gas to get there.

· Legend
202 Posts
I have had NHLCI 4 years and running. In fact, it was the sole reason for me getting a sat. Living in Oklahoma makes it very difficult for a hockey fan from Chicago. I find it odd that I can watch all of the Blackhawks home gams when fans in Chicago cannot. Gotta love Dollar Bill Wirtz! Any way, I have no interest paying for any more packages. Luckily my college fb team has thier own national network(HEHE). Go Irish!

1,096 Posts
Originally posted by keep amonte
I have had NHLCI 4 years and running. In fact, it was the sole reason for me getting a sat. Living in Oklahoma makes it very difficult for a hockey fan from Chicago. I find it odd that I can watch all of the Blackhawks home gams when fans in Chicago cannot. Gotta love Dollar Bill Wirtz! Any way, I have no interest paying for any more packages. Luckily my college fb team has thier own national network(HEHE). Go Irish!
I had never before seen a professional hockey team charge its own home fans pay per view fees just to follow their pride and joy in the windy city prior to the Wirtz regime. He's infamous for being tight with the purse strings and actually manages to make the Bruins owner/Delaware North guru Jeremy Jacobs look like an impulsive spender on occasion if you can imagine that.

Steve and John: Take a look at all of the whacked out stuff you are missing out on with no NHL Center Ice! The world of pro hockey has more quirks, superstitions, and random oddities then any sport I can think of. Below is what happened last night in Calgary during a game between the Bruins and Flames.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/sports/RTGAM/20021018/whoca17/Sports/sportsBN/breakingnews-sports

Attachments

1,096 Posts
http://www2.bostonherald.com/sport/bruins/bnots10182002.htm

The naked truth

Thomas and the rest of the spectators at the Saddledome got an eyeful with five minutes left in the third period, when a young male disrobed, climbed to the top of the glass and proceeded to crash headfirst down to the ice.

He suffered a head injury and had to be taken off on a stretcher, presumably heading for the hospital and, later, jail.

``I saw him taking down his pants,'' said Bruins captain Joe Thornton, who was visibly amused by the weird scene. ``I'm saying, `What is this guy doing?' And then right from the top of the boards down to the ice. Oh man, it's not very nice falling from up there. I hope he's all right, the poor guy. He gave the crowd what they wanted to see. He's an entertainer, that's for sure.''

1,096 Posts
Originally posted by angiodan
Saw the preview, saw HNIC, saw the $140 leave my wallet!
Amen to that. If there is one thing Canadians take a lot of pride in, it's hockey and beer in no particular order. Watching a hockey night in Canada telecast with the Leafs, Senators, Canadiens, etc.. on a Saturday night is a great way for new fans of the sport to catch up pretty quickly. They seem to raise the bar pretty high in terms of excellent production values with the most insightful commentary between periods. It's a religion up there.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
Man why couldn't the preview last an extra two days :lol:

HNIC is great! I'll still be watching :)

· Godfather/Supporter
288 Posts
Originally posted by The Unthinkable

Amen to that. If there is one thing Canadians take a lot of pride in, it's hockey and beer in no particular order. Watching a hockey night in Canada telecast with the Leafs, Senators, Canadiens, etc.. on a Saturday night is a great way for new fans of the sport to catch up pretty quickly. They seem to raise the bar pretty high in terms of excellent production values with the most insightful commentary between periods. It's a religion up there.
Well, as I've mentioned in a previous thread, I'm a transplanted Canuck, so seeing HNIC after more than 8 years was great! I feel it really is the best coverage of the game. The camera angles are great, and Ron and Don were a blast to see again.

Leafs-Canadians this week, should be a great game especially after the Habs gave the Wings a loss at home last night.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.