DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

· Legend
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally would because it would give Directv more resources and would give them better internet service offerings to compete with cable companies. Also and I know everyone is going to hate me for saying this but the HR platform would be replaced with something entirely different. AT&T would probably use some kind of box with Microsoft software on it as that is what they use with U-verse and Verizon would use something you see on fios. Maybe we would also have a selection of more channels than we have now since Verizon and AT&T offer slightly more channels than Directv does. So I would welcome something like this if it ever happened. What are all of your opinions?

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Verizon claimed I ordered a phone and signed a contract with them (I didnt), and then about ruined my credit rating trying to get me to return a phone and pay an ETF for an account I never had.

AT&T offered me a $14.95 internet special, with 6Mb/s speed, no contract, 30 day trial. I took them up on the offer. Best the tech could get was 768Kb/s. I took it out and used their prepaid mailer to return their modem via USPS. They claimed I never returned it, and turned me over to a collection agency when I refused to pay $200 for this "modem". After going round and round with them for three months, they finally realized they DID receive it, and credited my account. They, however, forgot to tell the collection agency, who is still trying to collect, and reporting all this to the credit bureaus.

If either one of them bought DirecTv, I would be with DISH before the ink on the merger was dry.

· Registered
14,539 Posts
mkdtv21 said:
Explain how this would be such a terrible thing for Directv?
spartanstew said:
It's not worth explaining.
Exactly. :lol:

As for your idea regarding using DVRs from AT&T...God no! Their DVRs are absolutely horrible. If you think the HRs have remote lag, you ain't seen nothing yet.

· This Space for Sale
7,436 Posts
I've one or two questionable conversations with DirecTV CSRs in 13 years. EVERY conversation with an AT&T CSR has been a problem. The only reason we still have AT&T wireless is because where my wife works, AT&T is the only signal she can receive.

· Registered
12,607 Posts
mkdtv21 said:
Explain how this would be such a terrible thing for Directv?
Maybe you should provide some more reasons why you think it's a GOOD idea? Other than your original point "it would give Directv more resources and would give them better internet service offerings to compete with cable companies", which assumes that DirecTV needs to broaden its internet offerings to compete with Cable. DirecTV already has partnerships in many areas to provide phone and internet if that's what the customer wants.

And, as you're already seeing, there's no consensus that the AT&T or FIOS have better DVR technology than DirecTV.

· Hall Of Fame
7,184 Posts
Every time I phone DirecTV and they answer, "AT&T-DirecTV" a cold shiver comes runs down my spine.

I'm not sure if DirecTV being sold by either AT&T or Verizon would be enough to get to switch Dish but it would open doors for us to explore other avenues for our TV watching.

· Registered
6,568 Posts
mkdtv21 said:
Also and I know everyone is going to hate me for saying this but the HR platform would be replaced with something entirely different.
That right there is a good enough reason to not want it to happen. :(

I know the HR is not perfect, but having used a UVerse box, teh HR's are way better, fast channels changes aside.

Personally, I think D* can stand on its own and I would like to see the parade of owners, each with their own agenda, cease.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.