DBSTalk Forum banner

Have you had to get a new HR20 due to 10B?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

Votes: 6 100.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My other poll went so well... Think I'll try another. This is for people who had stable boxed then durring or after the 10B upgrade have lost their HR20 and are getting a new box.

Z

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Count me in, although not sure it was tied to 10B or not.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I guess I am going to have to start another poll..

Who things 10b caused the issues that some of our user base is seeing...
or is just a combination of events that have led to it.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
10B no good for me!

I am getting a new box delivered.

Just wondering (Earl), if I do a full format following the instructions on DBSTalk and during the restart do the 02468 manual software pull, do you think that this may help solve any problems?

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Did that dafreeds, no help.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

I tend to agree with the "other events" (non-10B) point of view.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I voted yes but what I really mean is, "After 10B" not "because of "10B". I'm still not willing to say for sure that there's a direct causal link. I will say it's getting a bit coincidental around here.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
dafreeds said:
10B no good for me!

I am getting a new box delivered.

Just wondering (Earl), if I do a full format following the instructions on DBSTalk and during the restart do the 02468 manual software pull, do you think that this may help solve any problems?
It might and it has for some people.

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lamontcranston said:
I voted yes but what I really mean is, "After 10B" not "because of "10B". I'm still not willing to say for sure that there's a direct causal link. I will say it's getting a bit coincidental around here.
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
ZDawg,

I know what you are saying but there are other options which could be causing what seems like a surge in bad units. It could just as easily be that, since there have been a lot of new users joining lately, we're still seeing the same failure rate but since there are more people, we're seeing more failures.

When my HR20 went to that great electronics show in the sky, the upgrade to 10B was the last thing from my mind. It was after I took it out of my entertainment center and I figured maybe a loose wire.

I respect your opinion but I'm not willing to say -- right now -- that this firmware upgrade was the cause of my DVR's failure. I might come around to that, but I'm not 100% convinced.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
dafreeds said:
If you are already going through the replacement process... it certainly can't hurt to try, and would be a good "data point" for others in your same situation.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
ZDawg said:
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
It could simply be a little guy in a yellow suit, with a $1 whistle :D

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lamontcranston said:
ZDawg,

I know what you are saying but there are other options which could be causing what seems like a surge in bad units. It could just as easily be that, since there have been a lot of new users joining lately, we're still seeing the same failure rate but since there are more people, we're seeing more failures.

When my HR20 went to that great electronics show in the sky, the upgrade to 10B was the last thing from my mind. It was after I took it out of my entertainment center and I figured maybe a loose wire.

I respect your opinion but I'm not willing to say -- right now -- that this firmware upgrade was the cause of my DVR's failure. I might come around to that, but I'm not 100% convinced.
True... very true... I guess I am a little more of a believer because it happened to me on the same night it was trying to download 10B.

On a side note, it is entertaining to see how many people are looking forward to having their HR20s fail and get replaced. I added that option as a lark.

Z

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
ZDawg said:
This is for people who had stable boxed then durring or after the 10B upgrade have lost their HR20 and are getting a new box.
I won't claim that 10B caused my box to fail, but as of today this is an accurate description of my situation. Heading out to the store in a few moments to pick up the replacement box.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,060 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

I agree with Earl, it's just circumstances.

ZDawg, you ought to know that when you load the options in your survey you're going to get the results you want. For shame! Anyone who "looks forward" to a new HR20 is just asking for more problems and a whole lot of setup pain. No way! My HR20 has been solid since FA and is operating better under 10B. I had one 0min recording (immediate Delete/Not Delete), but that was recorded under FA and I just got to viewing it. Re-did the recording last night with no problems.

By the way, my previous posts ALWAYS suggested that if you're having consistent problems that aren't BROADLY shared, you should consider getting a new box. But that's it own tough row to how. Check the hardware before blaming the software in cases like this.

·
AllStar
80 Posts
Just J said:
I won't claim that 10B caused my box to fail, but as of today this is an accurate description of my situation. Heading out to the store in a few moments to pick up the replacement box.
I am 100% sure! Working at 1 AM. Went to sleep, and woke at 8AM. Power light was off and could not turn it on. My other HR20 got its update at 4:44AM. Unit was one of the first made and never had a single problom -- other than the bugs reported in this forum.

·
Legend
162 Posts
pmayo2002 said:
I am 100% sure! Working at 1 AM. Went to sleep, and woke at 8AM. Power light was off and could not turn it on. My other HR20 got its update at 4:44AM. Unit was one of the first made and never had a single problom -- other than the bugs reported in this forum.
I'm personally one of those looking forward to getting a new box. Not because I am needing to replace one that broke, but now that I get my OTA, I am VERY happy with these boxs, and would love to add a third to the house, to replace my R15
Kevin

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
richlife said:
I agree with Earl, it's just circumstances.

ZDawg, you ought to know that when you load the options in your survey you're going to get the results you want. For shame! Anyone who "looks forward" to a new HR20 is just asking for more problems and a whole lot of setup pain. No way! My HR20 has been solid since FA and is operating better under 10B. I had one 0min recording (immediate Delete/Not Delete), but that was recorded under FA and I just got to viewing it. Re-did the recording last night with no problems.

By the way, my previous posts ALWAYS suggested that if you're having consistent problems that aren't BROADLY shared, you should consider getting a new box. But that's it own tough row to how. Check the hardware before blaming the software in cases like this.
I guess you missed my point on option B. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I just wanted a count of people who DID have their HR20 go non-recoverable on them, but a poll with one option is a bit silly.

Frankly, I didn't want to replace my HR20 either. FA was quite stable for me and I was not happy when I had to get a new box. That said, it looked to me like we had a lot of people with down boxes after 10B and I was just getting a feel for how many we had. For me, these polls give me a better feel for the state of the HR20 than trolling through page after page of posts, many getting off track. It also lets me understand if I am in the majority or minority. I would hope that Earl and Co, might put up more of them, with better constructed question and options. :p

Z

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.