DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have switched from a TIVO unit to the HR20, I'm wondering how much you miss the TIVO interface and features? I've ben skimming these forums and notice alot of "technical issues"and bugginess with the HR20, but if you were to put that aside and your HR20 was functioning as it should be, how much of an issue is it to no longer have TIVO? Enough to make you want to switch back?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Like this is going to shock anyone....

I don't miss TiVo at all... seriously... My wife misses it a tad, as she liked the suggestions feature, but even then she only used it when there was flat out nothing on... and wanted something for background noise.

· Icon
Dish Hopper 3, Dish Hopper Plus (sort of), Denon AVR-6500H HT receiver, Klipsch speaker system
730 Posts
I do not miss it at all either. I'm rather glad that I can access the menu in the HR20 without missing the station I'm watching, thanks to P.I.G. The TIVO interface is clunky and slow compared to the HR20; however the only thing I miss is TIVO's ability to jump back automatically when you FF through commercials. Other than that, I don't miss it at all and hate having it up in my bedroom. When more HR20s become available, I will be replacing my HR10.

· Icon
Dish Hopper 3, Dish Hopper Plus (sort of), Denon AVR-6500H HT receiver, Klipsch speaker system
730 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Like this is going to shock anyone....

I don't miss TiVo at all...
No big suprise there. :D

4 Posts
I really miss the TIVO guide where you could see six hours of upcoming shows on an individual channel rather than two hours of shows on six channels. Otherwise, I am happy with the HR20.

· Registered
2,158 Posts
rbro said:
For those of you who have switched from a TIVO unit to the HR20, I'm wondering how much you miss the TIVO interface and features? I've ben skimming these forums and notice alot of "technical issues"and bugginess with the HR20, but if you were to put that aside and your HR20 was functioning as it should be, how much of an issue is it to no longer have TIVO? Enough to make you want to switch back?
I don't miss TIVO at all. The HR20 has many advantages over the TIVO unit. I think we all know what they are at this point. Best is the MPEG4 abilities; great DD sound quality and ease of use.

Since this latest upgrade, I've had zero issues and I'm hoping that the number of people who have had issues in the past are getting smaller and smaller.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
pwjoy said:
I really miss the TIVO guide where you could see six hours of upcoming shows on an individual channel rather than two hours of shows on six channels. Otherwise, I am happy with the HR20.
While in the HR20 Guide. Highlight the channel, hit INFO.
It will show you all the shows on that channel in list format.

However, you can't channel up and down in that mode, like you could in TiVo Guide mode.

· Godfather
284 Posts
Honestly, now that my unit has stabilized (no lockups or missed recordings since 0xEF), I don't miss it much at all. The HR20 is performing well now, and the HD content is excellent.

The only things I miss now is dual buffers and the auto-correction during fast forwarding. Other than that, the HR20 is doing its job. Of course, I'm still not something I trust 100% to record stuff and not lockup, given the problems I had prior to 0xEF. But it's getting better, and I'm starting to really like it.

· Registered
2,158 Posts
pwjoy said:
First off.....:welcome_s

You can see up to 2 weeks of programming on an individual channel.

Hit guide 2x
Cursor over to the channel number.
Hi info button.

It takes about 20 seconds to load, but you can view all the upcoming programs on that channel.

This and many other tips can be found in the "Unofficial Guide". http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=67933

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
I don't miss it at all, I'm quite glad it's gone. Unfortunately I still have one Tivo in my house, but it'll be gone once DirecTV enables the ability to move shows between the new receivers.

· Hall Of Fame
2,012 Posts
I don't miss my TiVo at all because I didn't give it up. But, I have to say I use the HR20 now a lot more now than the HR10. My biggest use for the HR10 is on Sundays during the NFL Season because of dual buffers, a feature I hope is added to the HR20 after NFL-ST is moved to MPEG-4.

That's how it is for me, but for the person who is hardcore TiVo or not confident with their own DVR handling capabilities, it would be different. It's really only a question you can ask for yourself, "How important is TiVo to me?".

Be advised that if you do decide to follow TiVo and go HD, it won't come cheaply. Plus, if you're going to switch to cable for the S3, Cable Card pricing and implementation varies for each location. I'd visit TCF and the Cable Card threads started for the provider in your area and see if anyone in your location has made the jump yet.

· Legend
148 Posts
We still have 2 in the house so I can't say we miss it. My wife misses it a little. Mostly the guide thing as others have mentioned in the thread. The info trick takes too long for that quick look.
Also getting used to no two live tuners. Recording the other show is fine but still getting used to it.
We got one of the very first Tvo units so many years ago though so we are quite familiar with being ahead of the curve and going through software updates.

· Registered
4,690 Posts
I'm still missing the dual buffer thing just a little but I can see us upgrading our other three HD TiVos when FTM comes out. I've said it on here before, running cable #3 to some of my locations is almost impossible unless Bob Vila came over to fix the walls behind me.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
I have always been a BIG Tivo guy, and made the switch (only because of HD) to the HR20 a week ago. From reading about all of the bugs I was kind of dreading it. But I have been very pleasantly surprised and don't really miss Tivo much at all. I love the dual tuners (I had a stand alone Series 2 Tivo hooked up to a DirecTV receiver, so I only had one tuner), and overall the performance of the unit is much better than Tivo. The HR20 is a little clunkier when it comes to responsiveness to rewind, FF, etc., and as good as the 30 second slip is, it still pales in comparison to Tivo's skip IMHO. I also miss Tivo's ability to play MP3's from my network, but I now use my XBOX 360 for that. I also have had to reset my HR20 3 times in a week, which is something that happened with Tivo maybe once every 3-4 months. But overall I don't miss Tivo much at all.

· Legend
152 Posts
My TIVO has always been banned to my son's playroom. My wife and I hated the slow interface and multiple button pushes to do anything. We stuck with our ultimate TV until the HR20 came out and I convinced her we should go HD. I also promised her that if this unit stunk we would go back to the UTV. Well this unit smells a little, but the installers somehow fried my UTV while moving it to the other room, or maybe there is some problems with the older recievers working with the AT9 dish. Either way, we are stuck with this unit so I hope it gets fixed soon.

· Legend
200 Posts
I miss a few things, but I am finding every day things about the HR20 that make me like it a lot.
I really like the boops and beeps and wish HR20 had them (please don't bother me with "it won't work with DD"; I don't use DD :)
But I think that if HR20 gets dual buffers and a few other minor things I will be quite happy.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Ignorance is bliss for me...so I don't miss TIVO at all.

Overall, I find the operation of the HR20 pretty intuitive...I've never had to use the manual or help screens. There are things that seem silly (like pressing Guide twice to get to the selected guide), and the "All Channels I Receive" not working, etc.

In general, I like my HR20 a lot and am glad I didn't have to convert from one O/S to another.

I'm glad they are working on things and am jonesing on OTA at the present.

· Icon
609 Posts
i dont miss it either, i like the features of the hr20 able to schedule a new program or pull up the guide with the pnp window feature is very nice, , they havent never updated the software for hr10 still on 6.1 every tivo remote has a window button on it but it has never been activated even with the series 2 dual tuner i have, you never lose your programming you are watching and still able to do features with the hr20, with tivo you have to pause the program and schedule another program, it lacks alot of features that the hr20 has and i am very happy with the hr20:)

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
I don't miss my SD Directivo because of the jump to HD. Now if I had an HR10-250, I might miss it, but I doubt it. I loved the Tivo interface when I had it, but now I really like the HR20 interface. If it was 100% reliable like my Directivo, then I definitely wouldn't miss it at all.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.