DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Mentor
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would be a good idea for us to share how much (if any) all of us who are suffering with the HR20 have been compensated from DTV (and how you have gotten it).

I'll start ...

I've been having problems w/ the HR20 from day 1. Because of all of my issues and complaints to them, here is a list of the free stuff they have creditted me (a few different calls):
- 6 months free HD programming
- $20 / month credit for 12 months
- ANOTHER 6 months free HD programming
- free Showtime for 1 year (big whoopee)
- ANOTHER $10 / month credit for six months
- this one is the best .... a free DirecTivo and programming waved because I am using it as a backup to the HR20!!
- I am calling them back today to get a free antenna and installation since my MPEG4 locals dont work (and I will push for more monthly credits)

These have been in ADDITION to the deals they used to convince me to try the HR20 (different threads for these).

How much have YOU gotten?

To get these compensations, you must call DTV and tell them exactly the problems you are having with the HR20. Demand to talk to retention. Tell them you are forced to use other DVRs as "backup" units. Tell them exactly how many shows you have missed. Tell them exactly how many times the unit hangs. Tell them why watching shows with OOS audio is terrible. Threaten them that they are not holding up to their contract because they are not delivering the service.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
jayvista said:
I think it would be a good idea for us to share how much (if any) all of us who are suffering with the HR20 have been compensated from DTV (and how you have gotten it).

I'll start ...

I've been having problems w/ the HR20 from day 1. Because of all of my issues and complaints to them, here is a list of the free stuff they have creditted me (a few different calls):
- 6 months free HD programming
- $20 / month credit for 12 months
- ANOTHER 6 months free HD programming
- free Showtime for 1 year (big whoopee)
- ANOTHER $10 / month credit for six months
- this one is the best .... a free DirecTivo and programming waved because I am using it as a backup to the HR20!!
- I am calling them back today to get a free antenna and installation since my MPEG4 locals dont work (and I will push for more monthly credits)
So let's see:

That would be:
6 * 9.99 = $59.95
$20 * 12 = $240
6 * 9.99 = $59.95
12 * 12.95 = $155.40
$10 * 6 = $60
Depedning on DTiVo model... any where from $99 - $499 (based on ebay prices), and $5 * what ever... let's say 6 months...

....

So that is $575.30 before you add the price for the TiVo...
Which can bring it between $600 and $1000

Now you want a free antenna and install?

simply amazing...
If I was in your shoes... I certainly would continue calling, as right now, you have basically paid for an entire years worth of DirecTV service...

And we wonder why prices have to increase, customer service numbers have to change, and everything else....

I just wish some day, DirecTV would get the picture, and just start telling people... Okay well... the service tech will be there on Wednesday to pick up the hardware, and discontinue your service...
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
162 Posts
Seems like your sqeaky wheel has gotten too much grease. I would think that the amount of "credits" you have recieved by now would make you more than pleased, but to say you are planning to call back again, that is just plain wrong. I know that we are dealing with a huge company here, but what makes someone think that they are basically "owed" free tv for more than the time that they are actually being inconvienced? If you would add that up, it comes out to several months of the Premier package, and yet you are still not satisfied, and planning on calling again? I hope that you were stretching the amounts abit to make it seem over-the-top, to provoke peoples reactions such as mine.
Kevin
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
59 Posts
How much is enough? Is your goal to get D* to pay you for being a customer?

PS. I've gotten HD free for 6 months and free shipping on the HR20.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
375 Posts
jayvista said:
I think it would be a good idea for us to share how much (if any) all of us who are suffering with the HR20 have been compensated from DTV (and how you have gotten it).

I'll start ...

I've been having problems w/ the HR20 from day 1. Because of all of my issues and complaints to them, here is a list of the free stuff they have creditted me (a few different calls):
- 6 months free HD programming
- $20 / month credit for 12 months
- ANOTHER 6 months free HD programming
- free Showtime for 1 year (big whoopee)
- ANOTHER $10 / month credit for six months
- this one is the best .... a free DirecTivo and programming waved because I am using it as a backup to the HR20!!
- I am calling them back today to get a free antenna and installation since my MPEG4 locals dont work (and I will push for more monthly credits)

These have been in ADDITION to the deals they used to convince me to try the HR20 (different threads for these).

How much have YOU gotten?

To get these compensations, you must call DTV and tell them exactly the problems you are having with the HR20. Demand to talk to retention. Tell them you are forced to use other DVRs as "backup" units. Tell them exactly how many shows you have missed. Tell them exactly how many times the unit hangs. Tell them why watching shows with OOS audio is terrible. Threaten them that they are not holding up to their contract because they are not delivering the service.
You have got to be kidding this one tops the list for stupid threads.:rolleyes:
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
179 Posts
You have valid complaints. I called with the same issues looking for answers. They offered to give me a different model at no cost. If you were serious about being up and running rather than making money, you could have taken that route too.

I don't know which is worse.... that you kept calling to get more money or that you're proud of it. If you're that unhappy, go to cable. The rest of us are paying for this.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
59 Posts
I don't think it's a stupid thread, but jayvista is pretty ballsy for wanting more.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
And just to add.

I am not against people getting compensation for issue they are having.
But when you far out exceed what you have paid, for what you get...

And this IS a two way street.
DirecTV has to be willing to allow customers to leave them, instead of just throwing "good money" after bad...

Already at the level the OP was compensated, it would take them probably multiple years to recoup the cost.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
162 Posts
To be honest, I think most of us on this forum have probably gotten a freebee or 2 in our dealings with D*, but there is a difference between calling with what would be a legitimate complaint, and calling in for greed. For all we know, a person just perused this forum, saw what they would consider to be good things to complain about, and then called in saying that those problems were their own, maybe even causing problems to be manifest where none actually were. If that was the case, man, I really am glad I am not in customer service, I would probably try to strangle that person thru the phone.
Kevin
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
375 Posts
Oliwa said:
I don't think it's a stupid thread, but jayvista is pretty ballsy for wanting more.
Ok your right stupid is not the correct word for this it was just my first gut reaction.
But I do find it hard to believe, cry wolf to much and its going to backfire.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
13,447 Posts
upnorth said:
But I do find it hard to believe, cry wolf to much and its going to backfire.
As much as I'd love to see DirecTV cancel jayvista's account, the worst they'll do is just tell him to STFU.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
I didn't really start complaining until I was FORCED to use a 3rd party installer.

My self installs always went smooth.

My forced installer caused:

1 toasted receiver
1 weekend of lost NFL ST and all HD programming due to misdiagnosing a bad LNB.
2 1/2 days of time off I had to take from work

So, I got compensated from that, although I did get the HR20 free and Superfan
free (automagically), HD programming free for ordering the HR20.

I recently got a $5.00 credit / month because when working on a "technical" issue
I got such crappy service I called back just to speak with a supervisor. I resoloved
the problem myself and then called back. I told the supervisor I didn't want any
credit, I just wanted to make them aware of the problem with the CSRs. She
gave me a credit anyway.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Knon2000 said:
Seems like your sqeaky wheel has gotten too much grease. I would think that the amount of "credits" you have recieved by now would make you more than pleased, but to say you are planning to call back again, that is just plain wrong. I know that we are dealing with a huge company here, but what makes someone think that they are basically "owed" free tv for more than the time that they are actually being inconvienced? If you would add that up, it comes out to several months of the Premier package, and yet you are still not satisfied, and planning on calling again? I hope that you were stretching the amounts abit to make it seem over-the-top, to provoke peoples reactions such as mine.
Kevin
DTV initially charged me $$ to purchase the HR20. They sold me a unit (and its replacements) that did not work. Yes, I complained. Yes, I complained a LOT to DTV. They continue to have issues, and I still have a DirecTivo wired to my main TV as a backup. Until now, I had been paying extra $$ to DTV for the sole purpose of a backup.

I had also been paying DTV for HD locals. They just plain flat out dont work reliably. Now I want them to provide them to me via OTA.

Again ... THEY came to me and sold me a product. I paid them a lot of money. THEY failed to deliver, and now I have asked them to reimburse me. Is it mean of me to not expect to continue to pay them for a product that does not do what it says?

This thread was created to help others like me that have been victimized by DTV's product not working.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
And just to add.

I am not against people getting compensation for issue they are having.
But when you far out exceed what you have paid, for what you get...

And this IS a two way street.
DirecTV has to be willing to allow customers to leave them, instead of just throwing "good money" after bad...

Already at the level the OP was compensated, it would take them probably multiple years to recoup the cost.
IMO I think Earl has it right.

I have made 2 calls into D* regarding the HR20, one was regarding fee for service and the other was expectation setting regarding their ability to deliver vs contractual commitment.

The first was in the sep/oct time frame when the HR20 was extremely unstable and I gave D* the option of canceling my agreement or reversing the charges for the sports package I agreed to to receive the HR20 at no charge. D* opted to reverse the charges on the sports package.

The second call ~ Nov time frame was to reset expectation on the 2 year commit, we came to an agreement where they noted my account that if I was not satisfied with the stability in a couple of months I could cancel my service contract with out penalty. I requested no credits and none were offered, I just wanted to option to get out in the future if D* can not deliver on their commitment.

IMO both of these are fair and equitable to both parties.

If you goal is to just squeeze to get better price, and you don't feel you have a real problem you might have an ethics issue, but it is up to both parties to derive what is considered fair and equitable renumeration for service delivery problems. If D* is willing to compensate for your problems regardless of your investment there must be agreement that it is equitable, but bragging about it as a point of pride might be considered bad taste.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
So let's see:

That would be:
6 * 9.99 = $59.95
$20 * 12 = $240
6 * 9.99 = $59.95
12 * 12.95 = $155.40
$10 * 6 = $60
Depedning on DTiVo model... any where from $99 - $499 (based on ebay prices), and $5 * what ever... let's say 6 months...
Sorry, my bad .... I actually still had my old DirecTivo ... I just had them re-activate it. They did NOT send me a free DirecTivo.
 
1 - 20 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top