DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Mentor
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a HR20 & am looking at getting a 1tb external eSata drive so I can record HD without having it take up 2-3% of my drive an hour... Was wondering if anyone knows how much recording time a 1tb drive will get me in HD & standard modes.

Also is it as easy as just plugging it into the back?... I know I won't be able to access both drives which sucks, but oh well!

Thanks in advance!
Dan aka dbassman

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Actually, given that HR22's have a 500GB HDD and offer up to 100 hours, I would say that 150 hours is reasonable as long as it is from the satellite not from OTA.

The math would not seem to add up but it has to do with the area of the drive that is not available for your use.

Does anyone with a 1TB eSATA care to step in?

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
HR20 has 200gig of usable space which allows 50 hours of MPEG4 HD. A one terrabite drive would have 900 gig of usable space so 25 hours per 100 gig of space equates to app 225 hours of HD. (MPEG4)It will vary depending upon the bitrate.

· Mentor
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
I would say that 150 hours is reasonable as long as it is from the satellite not from OTA.
First off, I want to thank everyone for their input!

Secondly, Stuart mentions above "as long as it is from the satellite not from OTA." DTV doesn't have the locals in my area so a lot of my recording is OTA, how does that differ?

· Registered
8,671 Posts
dbassman said:
First off, I want to thank everyone for their input!

Secondly, Stuart mentions above "as long as it is from the satellite not from OTA." DTV doesn't have the locals in my area so a lot of my recording is OTA, how does that differ?
Stock 20/21 is listed as 30 mpg2, 50 mpeg4
OTA and the channels in the 70's are mpeg2..
rest of the HD channels are mpeg4..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.