DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about 10 months into a 2-year contract and own both our DVRs. How much can we expect to have to pay to cancel our contract? I am fed up with the DVRs.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,887 Posts
johkar1 said:
We are about 10 months into a 2-year contract and own both our DVRs. How much can we expect to have to pay to cancel our contract? I am fed up with the DVRs.
Call DirecTV, ask for Retention and ask them that question.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
Why do people ask questions like how much will I owe? Do they think we have access to their private records so we can answer the quwstion. Directv or DISH are the only ones that can give a real answer.

·
Legend
162 Posts
johkar1 said:
I just had that exact conversation with D*... Termination is $12.50/mo for each month you have left in your contract.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,167 Posts
Do you own or lease the receivers? I thought if you own your receivers you have the option to return the equipment and not have to pay any fees?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
johkar1 said:
They will charge $175.00 to $187.50 for the term remaining on your contract, depending on the number of partial months (14 or 15 months remaining respectively).

You would also have to pay any programming charges, PPV purchases and that type of thing to close out your account.

As boba alluded to, there is no way for us on this site to know exactly how much you will be charged overall if you cancel your account. Their payment schedule is such that it works out to $12.50 a month for cancellation fees.

There was a time that if you owned the receivers/DVRs you could return them and not have to pay a cancellation fee. I am not sure if that is still the case. Some people who own their receivers still prefer to keep them and sell them on eBay or something like that, depending on the receiver/DVR and what the market is like for used units. You may or may not get more than the cancellation fee you would have to pay.

Call Retention at 1-800-824-9081. They may be able to work out your problems, or if you are set on leaving, they should be able to help you with these questions.

Which DVRs do you have?

Sorry for your trouble.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all. I guess I could have phrased my question to be a bit more specific. I didn't expect you to have a crystal ball into my account, but rather what I could expect for standard cancellation fees and the like. I couldn't find our contract and I couldn't find the information at directtv.com.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
johkar1 said:
What are you fed up with?

·
Godfather
373 Posts
Man, if you hate the D* DVRs you are going to *LOVE* Cable's DVR! Think DirecTV DVRs but without updates! I guess that's not to say you are going to cable, you could try Dish, I have no idea what their DVR is like....but I wouldn't touch a motorola box with a 10 foot pole.

The only good DVR out there is TiVo (and possibly replay, depending on who owns the company today). A large part of TiVo being good is because it's been around for a long time. I had my first TiVo back in '01. Given that much time, the HR20 will be as solid.

Leaving D* is up to you, but be careful. The grass can seem pretty green on the other side of the fence, until you realize it's astroturf and you are stuck with a Motorola DVR and analog cable.

·
AllStar
107 Posts
You say that you are, "fed up." If it means you have contacted them on several occasions and they responded but could repair a real prblem and you have documentation to whom you spoke, who came out, what they did, and so on, you may have case not to pay a termination fee. Even though you may have agreed to a two years service agreement, D* still must provide the service. If they do not, then they defaulted on their part.

This may be hard to prove. I have done it in the past, but not with D*. I kept documentation and presented it to an officer of the company via certified mail who agreed that his company did not handle the situation correctly and waived the termination fees.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Call retention explain your not happy. Don't forget to cancel your credit card so that they can't charge you. I don't think switching to Dish or Cable will help since they are having the same problems with the new MPEG4 as DirecTV.:eek2:

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The R15 is what I am fed up with...along with the rest of the world apparently. I am a former Dish customer. I still have my equipment. Their DVR is/was a dream...absoultely no problems whatsoever. I cannot remember ever having to reset it, the remote doesn't need direct line of sight, the features and functionality suited our needs. When you press a button, there is no delay and it does what you expect to do. Many of my friends have Dish DVRs and nobody has had any issues.

I left Dish because I wanted to buy new DVRs with dual tuners...long story short, their overseas customer service could not understand what I was asking them to do and they wouldn't escalate. So I simply switched. I have since had contact with their CS and it has been fine.

I realize the grass is not always greener and will research the performance of their new DVRs before I make a decision to walk away from DirectTv. If the latest update is forthcoming soon, I MAY wait...but I am not holding my breath.

Thanks for your input.

·
Banned
614 Posts
johkar1 said:
The R15 is what I am fed up with...along with the rest of the world apparently. I am a former Dish customer. I still have my equipment. Their DVR is/was a dream...absoultely no problems whatsoever. I cannot remember ever having to reset it, the remote doesn't need direct line of sight, the features and functionality suited our needs. When you press a button, there is no delay and it does what you expect to do. Many of my friends have Dish DVRs and nobody has had any issues.

I left Dish because I wanted to buy new DVRs with dual tuners...long story short, their overseas customer service could not understand what I was asking them to do and they wouldn't escalate. So I simply switched. I have since had contact with their CS and it has been fine.

I realize the grass is not always greener and will research the performance of their new DVRs before I make a decision to walk away from DirectTv. If the latest update is forthcoming soon, I MAY wait...but I am not holding my breath.

Thanks for your input.
Before you go back to Dish, read the forums for Dish, and you will see many rants about problems too, very similiar to what is complained about here.:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.