DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older directivo hooked up to one of my TVs, but I just bought a new Plasma HD and want to switch to a HD DVR for it. How much is that going to cost me to switch receivers? I have been a Directv customer for many years if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
Anywhere from $0 to $199 plus shipping depending on your account history, how much you grovel, etc. Check on the Directv web site or call. A dish upgrade and installation will be included if you order from Directv.

· Hall Of Fame
1,177 Posts
bkanneg said:
I have an older directivo hooked up to one of my TVs, but I just bought a new Plasma HD and want to switch to a HD DVR for it. How much is that going to cost me to switch receivers? I have been a Directv customer for many years if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.
How many years? call in to make sure your not a loyal customer and can get one hddvr for free. or if a 5 heart you can get one for 99 dollars. dont forget 2 yr agreement, plus 9.99 for hd access and if you want the hd extra pack its 4.99.

· Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been with them for at least 7 years.

I already have 2 HD DVRs (1 Directivo HD-DVR, 1 HR20-100) I just want to replace one of my regular directivos with a new HD DVR.

Thanks again.

· AllStar
50 Posts
I switched to HD about 4-5 months ago and at the time I had the option for the HR2X for $99 but got it waved. I ended up only paying a handling fee of $20+.

Even if you don't get the HD DVR offered for free $99.00 plus handling is well worth it. While you have them on the line ask for free showtime and you might get that as well.

· AllStar
53 Posts
I called them up about 3 months ago and told them that I can get the HD DVrs from my cable company for free and I got 2 more HR21-700's (which I detest compared to the HR20's) for free with free shipping.

I think it all depends who you get on the line.

· Legend
109 Posts
Interesting Earl. I had one HR21, one HR10-250, one phillips and one hughes sd tivos for 2 years (been a customer since 1997) and recently was given the offer of a new HRXX to replace the dying hughes and at the same time upgrade to HD in my berroom. I was able to get the new HR for free. Ended up with a HR22.

· Legend
206 Posts
I currently have a HR20-700, HR21-100 and an old HR10-250. I tried to upgrade the 10-250 today to any version of the HR20 series. I did get a 10-250 upgraded about 6 months ago for no charge. CSR told me $199 for HR22 and $99 for installation because I never had the 2nd tuner cabled initially for the 10-250.

He did say there was a promotion for $50 rebate on the HR22 so my end total would have been $248. Had to pass as not in the budget right now. He also told me MPEG2 HD content was gone from channels 70-79 but I still have it?

Has anyone bought an Hr2x-xxx from Costco lately and gotten program credits from DirecTV when activating?

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
kenmoo said:
I currently have a HR20-700, HR21-100 and an old HR10-250. I tried to upgrade the 10-250 today to any version of the HR20 series. I did get a 10-250 upgraded about 6 months ago for no charge. CSR told me $199 for HR22 and $99 for installation because I never had the 2nd tuner cabled initially for the 10-250.
If this H10-250 is the same one that was "free upgraded" before, then you won't get any deal from it. If it was a different unit, then they should give you a free upgrade, and the installer will take the old H10 with him.

He also told me MPEG2 HD content was gone from channels 70-79 but I still have it?
Only a few of those channels have been removed so far, with a few more scheduled to come down this week IIRC. They will all be gone within the next couple of months.

Has anyone bought an Hr2x-xxx from Costco lately and gotten program credits from DirecTV when activating?
You generally won't get any credits that way. You could still get it there and only pay their normal $169 price, and if you can handle the installation yourself, you'll save the other $99 as well.

"Deals" and discounts are based on a few different things, but first and formost is the customer's history of paying their bill before the due date. If you're a little late once or twice, you lose a lot of your bargaining power.

· Mentor
40 Posts
I call yesterday, have been with DirecTV over 7 years and have alway paid the upfront costs on my receivers myself, buying them at Best Buy. Was told $199 plus 20 shipping. He said call back in Feb, they will have deals advailable then.

· Legend
119 Posts
jal1975 said:
I call yesterday, have been with DirecTV over 7 years and have alway paid the upfront costs on my receivers myself, buying them at Best Buy. Was told $199 plus 20 shipping. He said call back in Feb, they will have deals advailable then.
I called 2 weeks ago and was quoted $99. I've been with them almost 10 years, my latest commitment was to expire Feb. 10. I called back 3 days ago and they offered an HD DVR for just the shipping and tax (about $32).

I also needed an AM-21 for OTA. They cannot add to an account until the compatible equipment is activated. I pointed out that my commitment is almost up and if I have to pay $50 for the AM-21 plus the $30+ for the DVR I would cancel and go with AT&T U-Verse. They gave me 12 months of $9.99 credits to offset. The HR22-100 was installed this morning, the AM-21 is now ordered. I called and changed my package from Choice Extra to the HD DVR Plus.

Funny thing is, I check my account online and see the Protection plan and Starz on my account for $0.00. :confused:

· Icon
2,696 Posts
The first thing that I'd suggest doing is to take a look at DirecTV's website. Signin to your account and look at "Add Receiver". This should show you the base price for a new receiver. Currently, my account is showing "special offers" that would give me any receiver or an SD DVR for free and an HD DVR for $99. Last month, I think that it was showing an HD DVR for $199.

With that knowledge in hand, then call DirecTV to see if they can do better.

· Icon
2,696 Posts
Nolzman said:
Where do you see "special offers"? I do not see that when I go into the Add a Receiver page.
The special offers seem to be on an account by account basis for a period of time. I had them on my account in September. Then they went away for a while. When they weren't available for my account, an HD DVR was $199. When I looked at my account the other day, the special offers were back.

I assume that if I were to look at my account in another month or two, they will be gone again.

With regard to where I'm seeing the special offers, it's on the regular Add A Receiver page. Directly below each photo, there is a small box with a red heart and the text "Special Offer for Valued Customers". Also, the description of each of the 4 receiver types ends with "Special Offer" (DIRECTV® Receiver Special Offer, DIRECTV Plus® DVR Receiver Special Offer, DIRECTV® HD Receiver Special Offer and DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR Receiver Special Offer). Below that, the regular price is crossed out, with $0.00 or $99.00 right next to the crossed out price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.