DBSTalk Forum banner

How much more per month are you willing to pay for Tivo DVRs?

• $0.00

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1/month

Votes: 323 51.9%
  • $2/month

Votes: 25 4.0%
  • $3/month

Votes: 28 4.5%
  • $5/month

Votes: 27 4.3%
  • $8/month

Votes: 108 17.4%
  • Price is not an issue

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • I'd only switch if my bill were reduced

Votes: 59 9.5%
  • Just looking

Votes: 43 6.9%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 223 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Note, the only concept I have is from the SEC filings that indicate TiVo will be getting more $$ for the full set of features. That sounds like higher charges to thems that wants the TiVos...

No formal pricing has been announced yet.

Cheers,
Tom

· Legend
164 Posts
I am actually perfectly happy with the direction that the DirecTV+ line is heading. I might want to play around with a TiVo enabled firmware upgrade, but at no extra cost.

· Legend
188 Posts
Well I was one of the ones that came over to D* after the HR2X just came out. So I have never seen a Tivo one before. I do like the HR2X series, I just hope that they do not give up on these now that Tivo is coming back. The only way would be if they did a swap out for the Tivo ones like they did for the HR2X ones for old Tivo users.

· Legend
191 Posts
I put $3/mo, but it could be higher or lower depending on the product. I will not be one of the first to buy; I don't want to be part of another 2 year firmware development. If it is reliable, has DLB and CIW, I'd pay more.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I see no reason to switch to Tivo if it costs more.

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
2 years ago when I first got an HR20... maybe I would have paid a premium for a Tivo.

Now. Not a chance. I'm happy with the 3 HR2x's in my house. They've performed perfectly for me in the 2 years that I've had them.

Unless, of course, the TIVO box is released and it's the DVR to end all DVRs and it becomes must have technology because it's left the HR2x series in it's proverbial taillights.

BUT... as it stands today. I'm not willing to pay more just to have the Tivo name.

· Godfather
395 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
I see no reason to switch to Tivo if it costs more.
I'd have to agree BUT if I could get things like MRV I may be swayed for a minimal fee. That said, I really don't care about whether its Tivo or not; I would be just as happy with MRV on my existing HR's.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm curious about the Swivel Search, but not enough for a premium. Now--if it could reduce my charge... :)

· Legend
178 Posts
When I went from an HR10-250 to an HR20-700, my monthly did not go down or up. Why would it go up in the other direction? At the time HR20 was introduced, it was less of a product than the TIVO.

As with any cosumer product, they will have to offer more in the future to maintain the same price that they get today.

· Registered
1,681 Posts
I paid a "Lifetime" DVR Fee back when DirecTV used TiVo DVR's exclusively, and expect that to be honored. DirecTV has been good about that to this point - I don't expect that to change ...

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jzoomer said:
When I went from an HR10-250 to an HR20-700, my monthly did not go down or up. Why would it go up in the other direction? At the time HR20 was introduced, it was less of a product than the TIVO.

As with any cosumer product, they will have to offer more in the future to maintain the same price that they get today.
In the SEC filing by TiVo, the fees to TiVo have increased for all new DIRECTV DVRs based upon the TiVo service. So my expectation is fees will have to increase.

Cheers,
Tom

· RIP
6,203 Posts
Tom, those fees may be less to DirecTV than the cost of their own in-house development. Of course, saying fees won't go up is akin to predicting the sun won't rise.

However, I don't think the Tivo offering will be an add-on...I think it will be the only DVR offering from DirectV come 2010 (Maybe some grandfathering thrown in for what they can't update)

· Icon
819 Posts
Comcast charges $2.95 per box for the tivo service vs their own. Seems plausible the cost would be around the same on directv.

Its also interesting to note that in the comcast world, I'm pretty sure the box still runs the comcast s/w with just a tivo 'layer' over the top. Quite possibly that'll be what happens in the directv world. Unfortunately that created two layers of problems for comcast early adopters...all the bugs that were in the comcast s/w and the bugs introduced by the 'melding'.

I'd pay an extra $5 a month just to get rid of the PIG, the one touch recording, the two touch series link, the two touch no-confirmation delete and to have my shows marked 'keep until I delete" actually get kept until I delete them... :)

1 - 20 of 223 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.