DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The attached article indicates that NBC is developing a direct to consumer RSN offering. Sinclair is doing the same thing and plans to launch it sometime this year. The cost for the service is estimate to be more than $20 per month, though an exact amount remains to be seen. How much would you pay for RSN's

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
Nobody has really figured out RSNs on a large scale in the streaming world yet but I'm betting that NBC won't get anywhere near $20/month for it.

I wonder how this meshes with Comcast's responsibility to offer their RSNs at a reasonable cost to competitors.

Reactions: I. Hogeye

·
Super Moderator
53,493 Posts
The "pass" options seem interesting but games would need to be included. Perhaps out of market people could buy a cheaper non-game pass. Breaking the RSN out by team may help keep the cost down. Don't pay for the sport one doesn't follow. If I was an RSN I'd probably push a pass model ... one season of a team's game plus all of the RSN produced sports shows related to that team for one price (not monthly).

If NBC or Sinclair wants to extend their passes to satellite (not just streaming) I'd expect DISH to help sell a version a la carte (still per season). Fans who believe the price is worth paying get the games, the rest don't have to pay and the RSNs get distribution.

·
Mentor
130 Posts
Sinclair plans to launch a DTC product reportedly priced at around $23 per month. It recently took on another $600 million of debt to fund its plans.
That vision might not be so far away, if anyone can figure out how to pay for it.
Travis Sawchik is theScore's senior baseball writer

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MSG says they are going launch a direct to streaming service by the end of the year. As the article notes they haven't determined a fee for this service.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sinclair plans Bally Sports DTC soft launch in first half of 2022, full launch in second half prior to start of NBA, NHL seasons

No mention of price yet

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This baseball season (if we have one) you may be able to stream games of the Kansas City Royals, Milwaukee Brewers, Miami Marlins, Detroit Tigers and Tampa Bay Rays.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,426 Posts
This baseball season (if we have one) you may be able to stream games of the Kansas City Royals, Milwaukee Brewers, Miami Marlins, Detroit Tigers and Tampa Bay Rays.

But about about the MLB plans to do it on there own? That may end up with an court fight over team rights.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd want to see a lot more detail about the sports and teams they plan to carry. This may not be much like the Fox Sports Net of old.
I'm thinking that one will only be able to stream one RSN per subscription. Still if that gave me a chance to see the Cardinals via Bally Sports Midwest I would go for it. I absolutely am blacked out from seeing the Redbirds now. It would be great if I was able to see both the Cardinals and the Royals (who technically are on Bally Sports Kansas City). It would sure be great if I could see every team in my territory covered by Bally Sports like I was just a few years ago with my DISH subscription.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
I assume the RSN's would use the league territories assuming they can get a deal with MLB for all teams. So you would only get the RSN for your home territory.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I am paying $30.00 a month for Evoca including receiver and two regional sports networks, AT&T Rocky Mountain and Altitude which gives me Rockies, Avalanche, Nuggets, Mammoth and Rapids. I also get NFL network, Weather Channel and 37 other cable channels with them. With OTA antenna I get 122 channels total, four channels in ATSC 3.0. I can record the games and play them back for 14 days on demand.

I would pay $20.00 a month for regional MLB if that was my only option other then DirecTV or cable.
I would think there would be a lot of people that would not keep it year round so I wonder if they will require commitments or offer a season package?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
I would pay $20.00 a month for regional MLB if that was my only option other then DirecTV or cable.
IIRC, one of the blog posts states that only five MLB teams are currently signed on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts