DBSTalk Forum banner

How Satisfied Are You With the HR-20 As of Right Now?

• Very Satisfied and Optimistic For Improvement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat Satisfied and Somewhat Optimistic

Votes: 117 39.8%
  • Barely Satisfied and a Bit Skeptical

Votes: 125 42.5%
  • Somewhat Dissatisfied and Pessimistic

Votes: 26 8.8%
  • Very Dissatisfied and Very Pessimistic

Votes: 26 8.8%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put together my first poll, so if this looks "unusual", just ignore it.
I'm thinking of 3 polls...one for all users, a second for those who have MPEG-4/HD-Locals, and a third for those who DO NOT have MPEG-4/HD-Locals.

· Registered
2,158 Posts
I second that; but i voted anyway.

I went with Somewhat satisfied; only because I still have a fear of missing recordings or having an annoying problem using trick plays while watching a recording. I haven't gotten to a place where when i turn on the TV i will have an uninterrupted night of enjoyment. However, i know its going to get better and i haven't had lots of the problems others are having. I feel for them and i hope it gets better for us all soon.

· Icon
828 Posts
I have two hr20s and one hr10.
I voted somewhat satisfied as I have lost several recordings as "partial", several BSOD, and some that, even though I have seen them recording, later don't show up on "My Playlist" at all.
When it works, it works well. When I first got it, I thought the GUI sucked compared to the hr10, but now I really like it. The ease of setting up recordings and series links is great and beats the heck out of the hr10 as far as speed.
Hopefully, D* can clean up the problems with this machine and THEN add the other features this dvr is capable of, especially the expansion and portability of storage.
E-SATA will be great once it expands storage as opposed to substituting storage as it now does.
I would also be great to have two or more machines interact so you could potentially schedule four or more programs to record at the same time and not have to switch from one machine to another in order to do it.

· Banned
989 Posts
Wow. If this poll was for some sort of research project, the results would be automatically disqualified. Those are some seriously loaded answers. A loaded answer is one that answers two separate questions without the ability to distinguish between the two.

What if you are Very Dissatisfied and Very Optimistic? Or Very Satisfied But Very Pessimistic? You can't answer the poll. If someone picks Very Satisfied and Optimistic For Improvement, you don't know if they are very satisfied or optimistic or both. There is no correlation between satisfaction and optimism (or dissatisfaction and pessimism).

Basically, your poll is similar to a poll like:
What do you think of apples?
I love apples but hate bananas.
I sort of hate apples and sort of hate bananas.
I hate apples but love bananas.

What if you love apples AND love bananas?

You've made a good start but you need to re-think your options a little bit. I hope I explained it correctly.

· Icon
Dish Hopper 3, Dish Hopper Plus (sort of), Denon AVR-6500H HT receiver, Klipsch speaker system
730 Posts
My HR20's been pretty good so far. No major issues at all.

And PoitNarf, I hardly recognized you without your Joker avitar :D

· AllStar
52 Posts
My experience is that I have been better off with the HR20 than I was without it. I was unable to get reliable OTA reception and this DVR, for me, works well most of the time. I've had to reset a few times... so I voted Somewhat Satisfied.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chaddux said:
Wow. If this poll was for some sort of research project, the results would be automatically disqualified. Those are some seriously loaded answers. A loaded answer is one that answers two separate questions without the ability to distinguish between the two.

What if you are Very Dissatisfied and Very Optimistic? Or Very Satisfied But Very Pessimistic? You can't answer the poll. If someone picks Very Satisfied and Optimistic For Improvement, you don't know if they are very satisfied or optimistic or both. There is no correlation between satisfaction and optimism (or dissatisfaction and pessimism).

Basically, your poll is similar to a poll like:
What do you think of apples?
I love apples but hate bananas.
I sort of hate apples and sort of hate bananas.
I hate apples but love bananas.

What if you love apples AND love bananas?

You've made a good start but you need to re-think your options a little bit. I hope I explained it correctly.
I considered that when I put it together. The categories speak for themselves. If you want other categories, by all means do your own poll. The idea for me was base satisifaction and some sense of anticipated progress...trying to use more categories that covered the cases you listed (which in my estimation were likely to be used very little) would have complicated things too much. So, yes, I was aware of the compromises. The "outliers" not addressed by the poll might show up with an entire host of comments like yours...we'll see. So far there's ...uhhh...oh yeah, one.

I see little likelyhood of comments like: I hate this thing, but I'm really optimistic, or I love this thing but am highly skeptical. That's why I didn't use them.

Anywho, in ten days I'll learn a little bit.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
At this point 6 out of 100 are very dissatisfied. That means that 20 are maybe watching football? :)

Anyone on this forum knows by now that they bought a first version DVR. Many of us have bought D* products before and knew how this works.

In fairness to Hasan, a big part of our satisfaction is based on our confidence in the HR-20's future. And a big part of our confidence in the future is based on our satisfaction today.

- Craig

· Cool Member
23 Posts
I voted, but I honestly feel a combination of things. As a long-time customer and DVR user, I am dissatisfied. On the other hand, I am optimistic that they will, eventually, get it right.

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
I am not satisfied with my specific unit, because it has a hardware problem and DirecTV can't send me out a new one until they get more. But aside from that, I'm pretty satisfied with the HR20.

· AllStar
65 Posts
I would have voted "somewhat satisfied" before viewing the Bear-Giant game last night in MPEG4. The PQ was excellent, fully the equal of OTA. I checked Comcast via a QAM tuner, and it was marginally inferior. I am very enthusiastic about the rollout of the national HD channels next year. Hopefully all the HR20 problems will be worked out by then. Even now, it's my favorite of the 5 different DVRs I have had an opportunity to work with.

· Godfather
422 Posts
Somewhat Satisfied. I've had problems with an NFL ST game deleted, and a partial recording deleted, if it wasn't for that I'd be very satisfied. I'm still holding on to mr HR10-250 though. Although when watching OTA Fox HD I get audio dropouts, so right now I'm only Somewhat Satisfied with it too. :nono:

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Larry G said:
I voted "very satisfied..." The HR20 is my first DVR and it far outperforms my previous television recording device (VCR) even with it's occasional glitch.
In addition to the problems in the poll with mixing present satisfaction with optimism for the future, I think that Larry's perspective is important. The degree to which someone will be satisfied with the unit depends upon their expectations about performance and functionality, which will very much be shaped by previous experience (or lack thereof) with DVRs. Degree of experience will probably also be related to "power use" of the machine...which may in turn lead to uncovering more of the bugs.

If I was moving to the HR20 from the world of VCRs, my expectations for the unit (and thus my satisfaction with it) would likely be quite different than if I felt I was being "forced" to "upgrade" from, say, an HR10-250 that had been rock-solid.

Not saying that either pespective is more valid...

· Cool Member
27 Posts
I've had my HR20 for one week after 2+ years with the TIVO and I can say that I'm pleasantly surprised with the new DVR. I posted earlier that I was completely open to the idea of being an "early adopter" and essentially, a Beta Tester. So bugs here and there don't bother me as much as it seems to for some.

A few bugs in the first few days like re-booting the unit a few times and the pink box around the arrow in the bottom right corner that sometimes shows up. I had an issue one night with the NBA Season Pass showing me the Bloomberg Channel instead of the Lakers/Portland game but no problems like that since.

But overall, being able to pause and record HDTV is just fantastic! The user interface is much "geekier" than the TIVO. My wife HATED the UI on her Standard Def D* DVR in the bedroom and was quite happy to get her TIVO back when I upgraded to the HR20. She likes the simplicity of TIVO. But for me, the HR 20 interface is not bad at all. It takes some getting used to but it's not horrible. I have one problem with it from the TIVO and that's when you first turn on the unit, it goes right to the TV instead of a greeting screen. I only have a problem with that when I come home in the middle of recording a sports event and the unit goes right to the game in real time and I see the score! At least with the TIVO, the greeting screen allowed you to jump right to recording and start from the beginning without risking a score ruining the entire recording. But to work around that with the HR20, I just pause the screen before the TV warms up and hit the list button so at least I minimize the screen before I start from the beginning.

I see huge potential for the HR20, especially when all the features are turned on, but even now, it's a great machine and I'm very happy I made the switch....

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Getting it back to page 1, my apologies if this isn't the right way to do it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.