DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading more about the vip622, and it looks like there are two major problems that potentially will bug me... but I'm not sure how serious they really are, or if perhaps I should wait a little longer before getting it...

1. Audio and video dropouts
2. Video stuttering

The reason why I'm dumping DirecTV is because I can't stand all the audio and video dropouts I'm encountering with my DirecTivo... and it's gotten worse since the 6.3 "upgrade".

Should I be concerned that the vip622 has similar problems? Or are they only affecting a small group of people and most are fine? I know some of the problems might be related to HDMI... My TV only has DVI, so I plan on using an HDMI->DVI cable for the video, and optical for my audio.

Your thoughts?

·
Icon
625 Posts
cornflakes said:
I've been reading more about the vip622, and it looks like there are two major problems that potentially will bug me... but I'm not sure how serious they really are, or if perhaps I should wait a little longer before getting it...

1. Audio and video dropouts
2. Video stuttering

The reason why I'm dumping DirecTV is because I can't stand all the audio and video dropouts I'm encountering with my DirecTivo... and it's gotten worse since the 6.3 "upgrade".

Should I be concerned that the vip622 has similar problems? Or are they only affecting a small group of people and most are fine? I know some of the problems might be related to HDMI... My TV only has DVI, so I plan on using an HDMI->DVI cable for the video, and optical for my audio.

Your thoughts?
IMHO the 622 is getting much better with time. Back in April I was sure that I did the wrong thing when I had mine installed.........now I'm almost 100% happy with it. It does has a couple of small audio problems (out of sync & stuttering) but these are getting better.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,202 Posts
I'm only getting the dropouts and green pixillation on the new local digital stations on satellite (those on the 6300 range). The OTA and HD stations on satellite are working fine.

·
Legend
234 Posts
I had my installation a couple of weeks ago and have had numerous audio problems. This morning I woke up to 'your HD has become corrupt and contents will be deleted'.....DVR rebooted and nothing was deleted. All network programming had sound studdering and Fox had lip sync problems. Had either syncing or studdering problems in one form or another since day one.

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Overall I'm very happy with my 622. I've had it since April and I've noticed a couple of things that still need to be addressed. I'm not using HDMI, I'm using component cables so I cannot comment on those issues.

1. Occassionaly lose reds from the SAT feed to the TV. A reset (press and hold the power button for a few seconds) of the 622 resolves it.
2. Out-of-sync audio, but not all the time. I wouldn't even say it occurs 'frequently'. Annoying, but I'm sure they'll fix it.

Outside of these 2 issues, I've been extremely pleased with the 622.

·
AllStar
85 Posts
KingJerky said:
Overall I'm very happy with my 622. I've had it since April .....

2. Out-of-sync audio, but not all the time. I wouldn't even say it occurs 'frequently'. Annoying, but I'm sure they'll fix it.

Outside of these 2 issues, I've been extremely pleased with the 622.
Ditto for me - very stable & overall very happy. #2 above is the only problem I have.

·
Mentor
66 Posts
I've had my 622(own it) about a month now. I have the HD Plat package. It is my only Receiver with no switches between Receiver and DishPro + LNB. I have a seperate dish for 129 sat. & OTA antenna. I use component output because I use the switching/combining feature of my Onkyo receiver to manage all my video inputs to a single component output to the TV.

I record several shows everyday with a mix of HD and SD & watch "live" tv at various times. TV2 is distributed throughout my house using my existing homerun cabling so all my other tv's have access to Sat programs.

As of now I have not had one problem with my 622. No random reboots, no out of sync audio, and my video display is great, especially the HD.

Just remember, forums are where people having problems go for advice, so you will mostly read about problems. There are thousands like me who you don't hear from that are problem free. If you like the 622, go for it, odds are you will not have any problems if it is properly set up.

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
If you read the various forums, every current DVR has exhibited some problems. The number of VIP622 complaints found on this forum, however, appear to be significantly fewer than the complaints about the HR20, Tivo S3, Moto 6412 etc. found on other forums.

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
I do see some pixelization from time to time but It is definitely occassional for me. As for Audio. here is my take on its state.

3.60 - Audio was pretty solid
3.63 - Major audio problems introduced that introduced customer pain.
3.65 - Improved audio experience but still not at par with 3.60.

The one thing to keep in mind... Is that E* and D* both push software updates so there is always that potential of taking a step back with a software update. If you look at the "Hows my 622 doing?" it appears to me that overall Dish has done a good job improving the stability of the box while adding features. The big quality hit we took was with 3.63 and I believe 3.65 reversed the trend and hopefully the next update will be more like 3.60's update and 3.65 update.

If your expectation is that you will not see any audio or video issues, I don't think D* or E*can deliver it, but based on my experience with teh 622 the audio issue I have been having recently are minor in nature and are few in quantity.

·
Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies... I guess my main concern is the audio portion which has been a major problem on D*. Apparently according to some people D*'s audio is rolled back every so often to sync it up with the video again, which says to me the problem's on D*'s side (which they have not fixed in the 2 years I've had HD with them). At least it seems E*'s audio problems are on the software side (with Rod Barry saying v3.60 had rock solid audio). So at least there's hope that the next software update will make it all better.

I guess I'm just nervous about the big switch! It's happening in 2 days!

·
AllStar
90 Posts
cornflakes said:
Thanks for all the replies... I guess my main concern is the audio portion which has been a major problem on D*. Apparently according to some people D*'s audio is rolled back every so often to sync it up with the video again, which says to me the problem's on D*'s side (which they have not fixed in the 2 years I've had HD with them). At least it seems E*'s audio problems are on the software side (with Rod Barry saying v3.60 had rock solid audio). So at least there's hope that the next software update will make it all better.

I guess I'm just nervous about the big switch! It's happening in 2 days!
I was nervous as well... I made the switch about 1.5 weeks ago. I was a Dish customer for about 6 years. I have very satisfied with the switch... I love the 622. The HR20 pails in comparison IMHO.

The only thing that happened is the first guy who showed up to install E* did not know anything (see my thread on that). However, I just requested a more experienced guy and the install went great.

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Whos is Rob Barry?? ;)

<Hate to rain on the parade... but wanted to clarify my comment to avoid miss representation of my post above>

When I said rock solid.. I was talking from my experience and also from the posts. Does not mean that 100% of the people here did not have audio issues. In otherwords no guarentees in life.

However, audio posts in the 3.60 time frame was minimal. I will say that in the beginning when 622 was released there were a lot of posts dealing with lyp sync issues as being very common. These type of posts are now far and few between.

Always tough to make a jump. Never know if the grass is greener. There are some thread in the is forum from D* folks that made a jump and were happy with the results. You will also find some that wish they didn't. So many variables and we all have our hot buttons. Be sure to let us know how your switch goes and if you are happy you made the switch.

·
Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ron Barry said:
Whos is Rob Barry?? ;)
Ooops... sorry Ron!

Ok, definitely will let you all know how the switchover goes! Can't wait!

By the way, how quickly did 3.65 come out after 3.63? Was 3.65 designed to fix the audio problems introduced in 3.63, or was that merely a side effect?

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
No problem.. just given you a hard time.

Based on how quickly 3.65 went out after and the fact that some of the users here that was experiencing the issues voluntered to take a Beta download to test the fix. It would be safe to say the purpose of 3.65 was to address the audio issue and it went out very quickly after 3.63. I think it was a week or less if I recall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.