DBSTalk Forum banner

After I insert a DVD/BluRay disc, it should...

• start playing the movie, and I have to press a button to get to the main (or pop-up) menu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • go directly to the main menu, and I have to select "Play Movie". The movie does not start playing af

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • go directly to the main menu, and I have to select "Play Movie". However, the movie automatically pl

Votes: 18 90.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here is the scenario.... and it applies to both BluRay as well as DVD. Warner Bros. early DVD releases as well as BluRay releases had you insert the disc, and after the copyright/home video release video, it would start playing the movies. Other studios release the discs that end up taking you to a menu where you would select to play the movie. So, which do you prefer?

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Either is ok with me, although I favor the menu a little bit because I can set audio options.

What I don't like is 20 minutes of trailers that you can't skip. I do actually watch them, the first time I watch the disc, but if I own it, it's frustrating.

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
This:

go directly to the main menu, and I have to select "Play Movie". The movie does not start playing after a timeout.

I like to set any audio settings that might need setting as well as see if there's any previews or special features we want to watch first.

Sometimes, after putting the movie in, it takes up to 15 minutes to gather everyone up, make the popcorn, etc., so I certainly don't want the movie to start on its own.

·
Whatever
1,567 Posts
Kind of makes me think of this:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,268 Posts
I don't buy as many disks as I used to but I can only think of one Blu-Ray disk that did not default to the best audio track. It was a crapshoot with DVD's when they first came out but I think now they usually default to the 5.1 surround track.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,640 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
Either is ok with me, although I favor the menu a little bit because I can set audio options.

What I don't like is 20 minutes of trailers that you can't skip. I do actually watch them, the first time I watch the disc, but if I own it, it's frustrating.
spartanstew said:
This:

go directly to the main menu, and I have to select "Play Movie". The movie does not start playing after a timeout.

I like to set any audio settings that might need setting as well as see if there's any previews or special features we want to watch first.

Sometimes, after putting the movie in, it takes up to 15 minutes to gather everyone up, make the popcorn, etc., so I certainly don't want the movie to start on its own.
MysteryMan said:
I too prefer going directly to the main menu so I can select audio options.
Add me to this list.

Like the others, I like setting the audio options before starting the movie (even though my wife thinks it's a little silly :)).

And yeah, I don't like seeing all those previews over and over again each time I start the disc. I wish it were easier to get through all of those...

·
Legend
184 Posts
Really as long as it doesn't play all the previews and other junk I'm good but overall I like pressing play after seeing the main menu.

·
Godfather
364 Posts
spartanstew said:
This:

+1 This is my preferred option.

·
Icon
894 Posts
After I insert the blueray, I like to get my snacks and drinks ready while the disk is booting up. Then I can start the movie when I am fully settled down on the couch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.