DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Legend
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an old Hughes TiVo DVR fail the other day. DTV sent me an HR22. I have 3 Hr20's which I like but was hoping for a 24. Are the 22's that much slower than the 24's? Any other differences besides speed?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
radamo said:
Had an old Hughes TiVo DVR fail the other day. DTV sent me an HR22. I have 3 Hr20's which I like but was hoping for a 24. Are the 22's that much slower than the 24's? Any other differences besides speed?
Thanks.
The HR22 has the larger drive [500 vs 300], and the speed wasn't that much slower than my HR20, though it was "slightly" [as in I could notice it and have to slow down my remote pressing]

·
Legend
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
veryoldschool said:
The HR22 has the larger drive [500 vs 300], and the speed wasn't that much slower than my HR20, though it was "slightly" [as in I could notice it and have to slow down my remote pressing]
Thanks for the prompt reply. The extra room will be nice to have. I will have to assess the speed issue. One of the big benefits of DTV over our local cable provider (Cablevision) is the speed of the menu and guide. If that gets taken away by this "downgrade" in equipment I will not be a very happy client.
RA

·
Premium Member
11,401 Posts
radamo said:
Thanks for the prompt reply. The extra room will be nice to have. I will have to assess the speed issue. One of the big benefits of DTV over our local cable provider (Cablevision) is the speed of the menu and guide. If that gets taken away by this "downgrade" in equipment I will not be a very happy client.
RA
The new HDUI should speed things up when using the guide and menu. Also keep in mind if you use Native ON it will make channel changing slower.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I know many complain about the HR22 and because of this I cringed when my parents received an HR22 as a replacement a year ago when one of their hr's died, but that unit has performed well. I have HR24's and while there is a difference in performance vs the HR22, thosedifferences aren't significant enough for me to complain about.

Also, the new GUI does speed up guide and menu performance.

·
Legend
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
say-what said:
I know many complain about the HR22 and because of this I cringed when my parents received an HR22 as a replacement a year ago when one of their hr's died, but that unit has performed well. I have HR24's and while there is a difference in performance vs the HR22, thosedifferences aren't significant enough for me to complain about.

Also, the new GUI does speed up guide and menu performance.
That is great news. My HR20's have performed well... at least since about 2007. Originally the software sucked... But they now work well. I am just hoping that the HR22 performs as well in the long run.
Thanks for the feedback.
RA

·
Legend
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MysteryMan said:
The new HDUI should speed things up when using the guide and menu. Also keep in mind if you use Native ON it will make channel changing slower.
Yes, Native on absolutely slows things down a bit... did that on the HR20 as well. But it still is my choice for best picture quality. Thanks,
RA

·
AllStar
62 Posts
I hear this quite a bit too about Native ON vs OFF. From my tests, having Native on with my TV is about 2 seconds faster with if I turn native off. Not sure why that is..........The TV is really good/fast at changing and adjusting the resoultion with it on. So I keep mine on with 720 and 1080 checked.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
leier911 said:
I hear this quite a bit too about Native ON vs OFF. From my tests, having Native on with my TV is about 2 seconds faster with if I turn native off. Not sure why that is..........The TV is really good/fast at changing and adjusting the resoultion with it on. So I keep mine on with 720 and 1080 checked.
It because of another stage of buffering as it changes resolutions.

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Old School. But I thought people said Having Native ON slowed things down. If it is another round as you say, why is it that mine goes so zippy? Because the tv is better at it? I always hear people saying oh turn Native to OFF, your channel changes are a lot faster. Well I tried that and the channel changing got SLOWER....

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
leier911 said:
Old School. But I thought people said Having Native ON slowed things down. If it is another round as you say, why is it that mine goes so zippy? Because the tv is better at it? I always hear people saying oh turn Native to OFF, your channel changes are a lot faster. Well I tried that and the channel changing got SLOWER....
You sure you didn't mix these up? :lol:
Mine does have the 2 sec difference, but it isn't an issue, and it is with native "On", not off.

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Guaranteed fix and how to for system slowness
The remote's model ID sends remote information to receiver with each keystroke, narrowing options for remote-to-receiver programming.
Customers may need to disable Model ID if receiver is slow to respond to remote commands.
Put remote in TV mode
Press and hold Mute and Select until the green light flashes twice.
Enter 9-6-3 on numeric key pad.
The green light on remote should flash twice.
Press the Channel Down key.
The green light on remote should flash twice again.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
radamo said:
How is this done on the HR22?
Thanks,
RA

Nevermind... this is just a system restart.
Got it.
RA
Actually it isn't a system reboot.

Tune to channel one, wait for it to load with sound.

Press red red, blue blue, yellow, green [quickly] and look in the lower left of the screen for "NVRAM cleared"

·
Legend
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
veryoldschool said:
Actually it isn't a system reboot.

Tune to channel one, wait for it to load with sound.

Press red red, blue blue, yellow, green [quickly] and look in the lower left of the screen for "NVRAM cleared"
Thank you for the info.
RA

·
Legend
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
beforesixbeers said:
Guaranteed fix and how to for system slowness
The remote's model ID sends remote information to receiver with each keystroke, narrowing options for remote-to-receiver programming.
Customers may need to disable Model ID if receiver is slow to respond to remote commands.
Put remote in TV mode
Press and hold Mute and Select until the green light flashes twice.
Enter 9-6-3 on numeric key pad.
The green light on remote should flash twice.
Press the Channel Down key.
The green light on remote should flash twice again.
I am using a Harmony One so I am not sure this will do much for me. But thanks!
RA

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.