DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
AllStar
94 Posts
My receiver gets slow/hung quite frequently and the channel one/button push routine clears it up for a couple days. But I'm curious. If that is such an easy fix, why doesn't the software simply clear the NVRAM every couple hours and be done with this slowdown issue.

I don't see any reason why it has to be customer initiated.

veryoldschool said:
Actually it isn't a system reboot.

Tune to channel one, wait for it to load with sound.

Press red red, blue blue, yellow, green [quickly] and look in the lower left of the screen for "NVRAM cleared"

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I understand that point of view completely. In fact I've said the same thing. The good news is, they are spending a lot of time on finding the root causes of the slowdowns so clearing the NVRAM won't be necessary.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I guess that's what I'm saying... the HDUI is going to have more and more functionality as time goes on. I think you'll like what you see.

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
wxguy said:
My receiver gets slow/hung quite frequently and the channel one/button push routine clears it up for a couple days. But I'm curious. If that is such an easy fix, why doesn't the software simply clear the NVRAM every couple hours and be done with this slowdown issue.

I don't see any reason why it has to be customer initiated.
"If it was easy" they would have fixed this long ago. :lol:
The "good news" is they are aware of it and trying to address it.:)

·
Hall Of Fame
3,912 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
I understand that point of view completely. In fact I've said the same thing. The good news is, they are spending a lot of time on finding the root causes of the slowdowns so clearing the NVRAM won't be necessary.
That is good to hear. They fixed the biggest issue for me, entering a channel #. Very rarely do I have to enter it more then once. In the past it could take me 4 or 5 tries. Although I would like to see some improvement when I press List, Guide and a couple others.

·
Legend
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Richierich said:
Don't you have the Original Directv Remote? Use it to Enter the code and to clear the NVRAM and then go back to using your Harmony One Remote which I also have.
Yes, I did clear the NVRAM. I was referring to the fix which makes the remote no longer send identifiers...
RA

·
Legend
152 Posts
beforesixbeers said:
Guaranteed fix and how to for system slowness
The remote's model ID sends remote information to receiver with each keystroke, narrowing options for remote-to-receiver programming.
Customers may need to disable Model ID if receiver is slow to respond to remote commands.
Put remote in TV mode
Press and hold Mute and Select until the green light flashes twice.
Enter 9-6-3 on numeric key pad.
The green light on remote should flash twice.
Press the Channel Down key.
The green light on remote should flash twice again.
I have not tried this yet, but how does a New Member with 4 posts know this and I have not seen it anywhere else?

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
"fullcourt81" said:
I have not tried this yet, but how does a New Member with 4 posts know this and I have not seen it anywhere else?
Just because he only has 4 posts doesn't mean he doesn't know a lot about their systems. He's from Englewood, CO. Pretty much guaranteed he works for them.

Though I know for a fact that codfishjoe posted this trick last year.

It does work, of you use the DirecTV remote. If you use something like a Harmony it doesn't apply.

·
Legend
152 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Just because he only has 4 posts doesn't mean he doesn't know a lot about their systems. He's from Englewood, CO. Pretty much guaranteed he works for them.

Though I know for a fact that codfishjoe posted this trick last year.

It does work, of you use the DirecTV remote. If you use something like a Harmony it doesn't apply.
Davenlr said:
I have seen this before, but I use a harmony, so never tried it. As for how he could know with 4 posts...Maybe he works for DirecTv, or has been on other forums?
Well I am not trying to insult anyone. I think it is great that D* employees come here and try to help.
So you guys with thousands of posts, does this fix actually make a difference?

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
It did when I used a DirecTV remote. I'd always kind of wondered why my box responded better to my harmony than when I used the DirecTV remote.

Honestly, there is no downside, so I'd try it. You can always put it back the other way.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.