DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
RACJ2 said:
That is good to hear. They fixed the biggest issue for me, entering a channel #. Very rarely do I have to enter it more then once. In the past it could take me 4 or 5 tries. Although I would like to see some improvement when I press List, Guide and a couple others.
Yes! That issue seems better now with this update. Hopefully that will stay fixed. I can actually hit a three digit channel in one attempt now. Man that was a frustrating problem.

And yeah, the LIST function on my HR-22 seems to take even longer now with this update. It takes on average of 11 seconds (I timed several tries) from when I press LIST for the actual list of recordings to show.

GUIDE seems to be about the same coming up... a couple seconds sometimes faster.

Still peaved about that SD/HD nag screen on the S-video output, but that's another thread. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
beer_geek said:
I have 3 HR22 used to drive 1 HD and 2 SD sets. They were fine before the upgrade. They all have the white screen issue.
Maybe I didn't understand your "white screen".
Is this where the black background of the GUI is white, or is this a white screen while not being in the GUI, and merely waiting for the channel to show?

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
veryoldschool said:
It because of another stage of buffering as it changes resolutions.
Not buffering per se. Buffering refers to latency or delay in the signal. The signal is not delayed (any more than with Native off, and any delay in the DVR rescale is offset by there being a like rescale in the TV, so if one or the other is in effect, that particular delay is about the same).

The signal is there already (gets there at the same time regardless meaning no added delay); its just that the TV keeps it muted to black for anywhere from a half-second to 3 seconds or more longer (depending upon the TV and the original and target scaling in each instance). And this is of course part of the HDMI handshake (video mutes to black until communication both ways is established). With Native on, there are changes in the resolution, which can extend the handshake. With Native off, the resolution does not change, which shortens the handshake time and consequently the mute time.

IOW, if you have identical receivers getting identical programming connected to identical TVs, and one is Native off and the other is Native on, the one with Native off will allow the video to be visible earlier on a channel change than the one with Native on, but once each handshakes its HDMI the video from both will be relatively in sync with each other (disregarding idiosyncratic MPEG decoding issues); one will not be delayed any more than the other, meaning there is no additional stage of buffering in either case.

·
Hall Of Famer
1,866 Posts
Channel surf very quickly for a while and pressing random numbers help remote responses temporarly and recommend to try while trying the 963 code

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
beer_geek said:
The entire screen goes white between channel changes.
This is not definitive, but my best guess would be that this is not a HDMI handshake issue, especially if "Native" is not on, where there would be no need for a handshake on a channel change. HDMI mutes to black during a channel change but usually only if there is a resolution change involved; I don't know but I guess there could be rare occasions where downstream equipment shows white instead, but unlikely. What makes this hard to decipher is that the receiver will also mute to black between channel changes, and sometimes white or grey if the STB is set that way. The receiver mutes to cover up the garbage frames that the decoder spits out when the incoming stream is abruptly changed to a new stream and it can't fully decode those frames yet, that is until it sees an I-frame. Once real video is decoded, it unmutes.

This is similar to the way electronic analog tuners mute during a channel change, but much longer due to the fact that digital decoding has latency. They would dip to black and silence during a channel change which took maybe a quarter second. Cheap analog cable boxes used to dispense with muting altogether; you'd get a nearly immediate channel change, but you would also get a split second of garbage accompanied by white noise in the audio.

The reported "white" is probably video coming from the DVR. It will display a white or grey screen when on a channel you can't receive if set that way in the user prefs, for instance, and will also then display grey pillar bars for 4:3 content.

Channel acquisition time is based on how often a key frame or I-frame comes along. The decoder has no idea what to do until it decodes a key frame, so stays muted. MPEG-4 can have I-frames more than 6 seconds apart, but we assume DTV adds key frames about once a second or so to speed this up, meaning that channel acquisition should be anywhere from 1/2 a second to up to 2 seconds plus about a second for decoder latency.

If the white screen is showing and reception is OK, this may be the GUI struggling to serve graphic pages fast enough (just an educated guess). But that can be fine tuned, so hold on.

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
Ok... I've used the suggestions in this thread and things are a lot better. But my 'List' still takes forever to display. I assume this is due to a 10% free, 2TB drive, worth of programming to display. Is there any trick I can do to help with this problem?

(I'm still upset that when the installer said he had a H24 on his truck and I asked for that, he actually just had the H22 in a H24 box... and I didn't know about the switch until way later).

·
AllStar
70 Posts
I've only had my Hr24's about a month, but the difference between the HR24 (3 of them) and my old HR22 is like comparing a new Porsche and an old VW beetle.

In all fairness, the new 24's HDDs are barely loaded, and the 22's HDD was 90%+ full, so that may change as the HDD gets more fully loaded. I hope that is not the case.

·
AllStar
131 Posts
When you say this won't work with a Harmony One, are you saying the Harmony does not send the ID, or that there is no way to prevent it?
radamo said:
I am using a Harmony One so I am not sure this will do much for me. But thanks!
RA
dpeters11 said:
Right, that won't work with a non DirecTV remote.
beforesixbeers said:
Guaranteed fix and how to for system slowness
The remote's model ID sends remote information to receiver with each keystroke, narrowing options for remote-to-receiver programming.
Customers may need to disable Model ID if receiver is slow to respond to remote commands.
Put remote in TV mode
Press and hold Mute and Select until the green light flashes twice.
Enter 9-6-3 on numeric key pad.
The green light on remote should flash twice.
Press the Channel Down key.
The green light on remote should flash twice again.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.