DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a temporary need to mount a dish with my old 110 Sat LNB (single LNB for Sat C, from my old 3lnb dish) in a location where I can shoot through some trees.

I recently got my 3lnb dish replaced with a KaKu 5 lnb, slimline, model AU9-S.

Neither the old 3lnb or this new 5lnb dish will "see" the 110 satellite due to a
pine tree. My neighbor owns the tree. He's taken his family out of town for
the holidays, so for the next week to 10 days, I'd like to put my old dish out
in the back yard in a location where I think I can shoot just the 110 satellite.

Question, give that the new AU9-S has a built-in multi-switch type circuit,
is it possible for me to reuse the old C-sat combiner device and hook up
the single Sat 110 LNB with the signals from the new dish?

I want to do this for two reasons...

1. I want to enjoy the missing HD content that is currently behind the tree.

2. I want to ensure 100% that the 110 satellite is REALLY where I think it is.
I am not 100% sure that my magnetic readings are correctly translated
from the sat finders on the Internet. In other words, if I can get the old
dish working on the Sat at 110, I can then visually see where it's pointing
and verify that the tree I am blaming is actually the culprit. I really don't
want to pay to have it whacked and then find it's not the blame.

Thoughts?
:confused:

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
Carl's link documents the only currently known way to combine multiple dishes together to deal with trees. I did try using my existing 110-deg SatC dish and combiner kit, but it turns out that the older dish/LNBs are not electrically compatible with the newer Ka/Ku 5-LNB dish's integrated multiswitch. You can use an external multiswitch to combine them, but then you won't be able to receive the 103-deg satellite. So you'll need two AT9 Ka/Ku dishes. Review the link above for connection diagrams and additional technical info. Let us know if you have any questions.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Carl's link documents the only currently known way to combine multiple dishes together to deal with trees. I did try using my existing 110-deg SatC dish and combiner kit, but it turns out that the older dish/LNBs are not electrically compatible with the newer Ka/Ku 5-LNB dish's integrated multiswitch. You can use an external multiswitch to combine them, but then you won't be able to receive the 103-deg satellite. So you'll need two AT9 Ka/Ku dishes. Review the link above for connection diagrams and additional technical info. Let us know if you have any questions.
Note that Litzdog911 said AT9. This method won't work with the AU-9 (Slimline) since the interconnections are internal to the LNB assembly. Hopefully Directv will come up with an alternative solution for this problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.