DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic has probably already been addressed, but I'm not sure, so I wanted to check. I always outright purchase and install my own equipment (that way I don't have to sign new agreements and keep my "old" plans, nor pay rental/lease fees).

My current configuration:

2 PVR-501 receivers
1 Dish 300 with Dual LNB pointed at 61.5 (SkyAngel)
1 Dish 500 with Dual Twin LNB pointed at 110 and 119
2 SW-21 switches (combining Dish 300 and Dish 500 to each receiver)

Equipment on hand, but not yet in use or installed:

DPP-44 Switch
Superdish 121 (my locals are on 121 last time I checked, Rockford, IL.)

I have not yet invested in a HD television or receiver. However when I do, I will want to go with PVR receivers. I am interested in eventually getting dual tuner receivers (single TV) so I can record one show while watching another show, or recording 2 events at once.

What would be the *BEST* configuration for receiving the most satellite orbital locations and having the greatest capability for viewing the most channels when I eventually upgrade?

I had considered installing the Superdish 121 (110, 119, 121) and the Dish 300 (61.5) hooked up to the DPP-44 for 4 satellite view and keeping my SkyAngel channels and then having 4 (or if I trunk them, more) outputs to my various receivers in the house.

Is there a better way to do it in order to get more than just those satellites/transponders (even if it involves getting more equipment)?

Thanks,
Briana

·
Icon
860 Posts
briana said:
My current configuration:

2 PVR-501 receivers
1 Dish 300 with Dual LNB pointed at 61.5 (SkyAngel)
1 Dish 500 with Dual Twin LNB pointed at 110 and 119
2 SW-21 switches (combining Dish 300 and Dish 500 to each receiver)

Equipment on hand, but not yet in use or installed:

DPP-44 Switch
Superdish 121 (my locals are on 121 last time I checked, Rockford, IL.)
Your current configuration is almost identical to the one I had just a couple of years ago.

You'll need DishPro LNB's on both the Superdish and the Dish500 (in order to use the DPP44 switch). I'd keep the Dish500 and point it to 61.5 to get a better signal for SkyAngel and HDTV. You'll dump the SW21 switches, any current LNB's you are using and the Dish300 dish.

The only thing this might not do for you is if your HD regional sports network is at 129 (assuming the HD RSN's are ever actually made available :rolleyes:). If your HD RSN ends up at 61.5, you'd be set with the info above. Otherwise, you'd probably want to keep the Dish300 at 61.5 for Skyangel and then use the Dish500 at 129 for all your HD (including the RSN-HD). That may be too many orbital slots for a DPP44 - I'm not sure - someone else can chime in about that.

Clear as mud? :D

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evidently this is correct, according to DISH tech support.

I think I've just found out that I need to get a Dish 1000 plus antenna for looking at orbitals 110, 118.7, 119, and 129, and supposedly I can combine those with my 61.5 with the DPP-44 although I'm not sure how. Turns out my locals have been re-located to 110 and 119.

I don't know if I can still use my superdish or dish 500 reflector for either one. I'd rather find out for sure before I climb up on the roof and start punching holes once again.

I welcome your input and/or suggestions.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
53,491 Posts
Why do you need 118.7?

The DPP44 only takes four inputs ... you have listed five.

·
Legend
101 Posts
<< dish advanced tech level 3 >>

SuperDish is a big waste of sheet metal. Depending on how ethical you are, you might try selling it on EBay before the whole world knows its on its way out. I'd say you should make around 60 bucks or more.

121 is only mandatory if you're getting Southern Asia programming - otherwise we have another location you can use.

129 is loaded to host all MPEG4 HD Programming, but so is 61.5. The whole talk about RSN's being on 129 will likely happen but if it does, 61.5 will be loaded with the same programming.

The orbits you need in my opinion are:

110 - CONUS America's Top Programming and Rockford IL locals
119 - CONUS America's Top Programming and Interactive Features (DISH Home)
61.5 - Dominion SkyAngel and HD Programming

Optional Orbits would include:

148 - International
118.7 - International

I'd use the DPP44 since you own such an up-to-date piece of equipment, but you'll need all DP products for the DPP to work, which means your Dish300 needs upgraded to Dish500 with a DP Dual......

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
James Long said:
The DPP44 only takes four inputs ... you have listed five.
Yes, but the 118.7 and 119 are on the same output, then the 110, and 129 so it only has 3 cable outputs, and combine that with the 61.5 and I should (I think) be receiving 5 orbital locations.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
53,491 Posts
Sorry for the correction (better now than later) but 119 and 118.7 are separate outputs from the LNB. It isn't like a DP Twin where one output can see either 119 or 110 (yet even with that LNB, you need both outputs fed separately to a switch).

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
James Long said:
Sorry for the correction (better now than later) but 119 and 118.7 are separate outputs from the LNB. It isn't like a DP Twin where one output can see either 119 or 110 (yet even with that LNB, you need both outputs fed separately to a switch).
Thanks! I was NOT aware of that.. thus the reason I'm asking questions.

I guess my main thing is that whatever configuration I use, and although I do not have HD yet, since I'm willing to hook up the DPP-44 and punch new holes in the roof, I want to do it right the first time and not have to change stuff around few months later.

I guess the main thing is what satellite orbitals are going to offer me the MOST capabilities (though I may not subscribe to them all) for future use?

I have also picked up (today) two single DP LNB's (one for my dish-300 pointed at 61.5) and the other I was going to use for the 110 side of the SD-121.

So this changes the equipment I have available:

Currently installed:
Dish 300 (legacy dual LNB) pointed at 61.5
Dish 500 (DP Twin [dual, not quad output] LNB) pointed at 110 and 119
2 PVR 501 receivers.
2 SW-21 switches (connected to to 500 and 300) to each receiver.

On hand, not installed:
DPP-44 w/power inserter
SD-121 w/FSS/119 LNB
Spare 121 FSS/119 LNB
2 single DP LNB's

Someone has told me that there is a way to upgrade the SD-121 to a SD-1000+ using a dish 500+ re-aim kit and then a side bracket or something? I can't seem to find any information or pricing on these though.

Brian

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
DishTSR3Mentor said:
<< dish advanced tech level 3 >>

129 is loaded to host all MPEG4 HD Programming, but so is 61.5. The whole talk about RSN's being on 129 will likely happen but if it does, 61.5 will be loaded with the same programming.
If you look at the up load reports you will see that for the RSN's 61.5 has different channels then 129. Essentially planned along the same lines as the markets that are suppose too be using the 129 vs those that must use 61.5.

E.g. MSG and Fox NY, are on 61.5. NY cannot see the 129 satellite.

·
Legend
101 Posts
like I implied (or at least meant to imply) if you're worried about missing a channel you shouldn't.... dish will make all chans available especially if its CONUS.

·
Godfather
289 Posts
briana said:
I don't know if I can still use my superdish or dish 500 reflector for either one. I'd rather find out for sure before I climb up on the roof and start punching holes once again.
Unless you have an obstruction you have to see around, there is no reason to put a dish on the roof. That happened a lot when satellite dishes first came out. Everyone thought of them as an antenna, and when you mount an antenna, the higher the better.

My dish is mounted below the dining room window, where the flowers in the flower bed grow up about even with the LNB. It's not visible from inside the house, almost invisible from outside the house, sits under the house overhang where it is protected from much of the weather, and is easy to clean, service or brush snow off of it. There are no holes in the roof. We tucked the wiring in through a foundation vent and distributed the coax through the crawl space.

Of course, if you have trees or buildings in the way, you do what you have to do. I just see a lot of dishes on the roof, when it was obviously unnecessary to put one there.

·
Legend
101 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,450 Posts
briana said:
I guess the main thing is what satellite orbitals are going to offer me the MOST capabilities (though I may not subscribe to them all) for future use?
Your switches other than the DPP44 are done. So is any legacy equipment.

If you have been advised that you're HD LIL will be on 118, then the Dish1000+ is your one and only solution (outside of simulating one with multiple dishes). If your locals aren't there, then you can do some tinkering with a Dish1000 and another slot.

Know that buying your own equipment may not protect you from an 18 month contract.

·
Legend
101 Posts
nearly every ILO I deal with in Tech Support works with 123# or 133# - I hope that helps everyone.

Of course, ILO is generic and Dish doesnt have any official codes from ILO, I've just gathered this info by addressing nearly 20 to 30 ILO's in the last few weeks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.