DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
14,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to provide a link to a specific post so that the post opens within the thread it is a part of, so that the previous and subsequent posts are visible and the post can be viewed in context?

What happens now is I right click a post in a thread, choose copy link, and paste it. Clicking the link, though, opens the specific post in a new tab in my case, because I'm using Firefox, and I have to click to get back to the thread.

Any tricks to creating a link to a post so it opens "in place" within a thread?

Thanks!
 

· Tain't ogre til its ogre
Joined
·
14,768 Posts
AirRocker, you do know this stuff don't you? Thanks man, I will have to use that from now on!

(BTW, I think the posts/thread is the kewlest one yet you've shown me)
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
10,464 Posts
smiddy said:
AirRocker, you do know this stuff don't you? Thanks man, I will have to use that from now on!

(BTW, I think the posts/thread is the kewlest one yet you've shown me)
I'm not sure of the proper way to obtain those links... but the way I do it is... Click on the post number in the top right corner to create a link to that post only... or you can click on someone's name and do the "Find more posts by ..."... and then select one from that list to get the type of link that will show other posts in the thread... but center on that post first...

No prob smiddy... Glad I could show the posting expert a trick or two... :p
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AirRocker said:
But the difference is that post count is relative, isn't it? What if post 1718450 was the third post, and the previous post gets deleted. If I used the first link format, I'm still linking to the 3rd post, so I'm linking to the wrong post, right? :)

It just seems there must be a flag in the VB software to make this easier ... TCF has had it configured that way for as long as I can remember ...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AirRocker said:
I'm not sure of the proper way to obtain those links... but the way I do it is... Click on the post number in the top right corner to create a link to that post only... or you can click on someone's name and do the "Find more posts by ..."... and then select one from that list to get the type of link that will show other posts in the thread... but center on that post first...
Woah ... that's an AWFUL lot of work!
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
10,464 Posts
Drew2k said:
Woah ... that's an AWFUL lot of work!
Yeah.. it is a lot of work.. but not sure of another way to do it...

I see what you're saying about a post being deleted... but I believe the post number would still remain the same... so the link should still be valid..
 

· Dry as a bone
Joined
·
12,321 Posts
Drew2k said:
Is it possible to provide a link to a specific post so that the post opens within the thread it is a part of, so that the previous and subsequent posts are visible and the post can be viewed in context?

What happens now is I right click a post in a thread, choose copy link, and paste it. Clicking the link, though, opens the specific post in a new tab in my case, because I'm using Firefox, and I have to click to get back to the thread.

Any tricks to creating a link to a post so it opens "in place" within a thread?

Thanks!
Not sure if this is what you mean, but here's what I do:

If there's a post I want to link to, I go to that thread first. Next, I look for a unique word in that post. So, for example, lets say I wanted to link to AirRockers first post in this thread. He used the word extensions. So, I go to the search this thread and search for extensions (the more unique the word, the fewer posts will come up - depending on the size of the thread). When I search, I click on the link (it will have the arrow and say "click here to be taken right to the post that contains your search hit). I click on that link and then copy and paste what's in the address bar.

Resulting in THIS.

Seems complicated when you read it, but it's really not.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, this is stupid, but I just figured out something, and it's easier than I thought.

Hover over the post number and copy the shortcut.

Paste the shortcut and then delete everything for the post number.

Wrap the post number in [post] tags.

Wow ... that's just sill that it's that easy, and the link will open up WITHIN the thread so it's in context!

The only problem I see is the post number is also what is displayed, so it doesn't look like I cat put the link behind custom text ...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
spartanstew said:
Not sure I understand Drew. Here's your latest post. How would I change it?

http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1718760&postcount=11
Baiscally, edit out everytihng but the post number 1718767...

Then put [post] in fron of the number it, and the corresponding closing tag behind it. (The closing tag is [ / post ] without spaces.)

The browser will underline the post number and make it a hyperlink, and when clicked, opens the corresponding post in its proper position in the thread, and not in a separate window.
 

· Dry as a bone
Joined
·
12,321 Posts
The only thing I don't like about that, is that for some reason, it doesn't open it in another tab (or was that what you were trying to do?). I don't link hitting my back button, I like links that open new tabs instead.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
spartanstew said:
[post]1718760[/post]
AirRocker said:
Testing...

[post]1718767[/post]
That's weird ... I just quoted both of your posts, and see you're both using the POST tags, so why are yours showing up looking like full links, while mine showed up looking only like a post number?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
spartanstew said:
The only thing I don't like about that, is that for some reason, it doesn't open it in another tab (or was that what you were trying to do?). I don't link hitting my back button, I like links that open new tabs instead.
Exactly, I did want to have the post open in the same tab/window and NOT open a new tab or window.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top