DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to reduce the amount of my monthly bill. I have been a Dish customer for over 10 years and paying over $160 per month for TV just seems ridiculous. We only have 3 TV's in our house (all HD) and only 2 of them are ever being watched at the same time. We have a VIP 722, VIP622, and a 625. We really don't need any of the premium channels in our package as we watch mostly locals, Bravo, ESPN and the Food Network. We do use the DVR's to watch one channel while recording another. Is there someway we can reduce the number of receivers, and/or downgrade our package to lower the monthly bill?

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Period 07/16/12 - 08/15/12
Jul 16 - Aug 15 Monthly Charges
America's Everything Pak 104.99
Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
[email protected] 10.00
Protection Plan 7.00
DVR Service 6.00
$161.99
Jul 16 - Aug 15
Monthly Savings
Cr: DVR $6x24 -6.00
HD 250 Free ($10/mo) 0.00
-$6.00
Jul 06
State/Local Tax (Sales) 10.44

Bill Period 07/16/12 - 08/15/12 $166.43
Bill Due by Jul 26, 2012 $166.43
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,984 Posts
If you replace the 622 and 625 with a pair of 612s, that saves $14 a month. Also, dropping from AEP to Top 200 saves another $45, keeps Bravo, Food, ESPN and locals.
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,484 Posts
I'm astounded that someone with AEP is asking what they can do.

If you haven't used the Protection Plan recently, I'd jettison it. If you watch all the other channels, AT250 represents a pretty good drop and you only lose a couple of non-movie channels.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
21,658 Posts
Outside of the obvious (drop the Everything pack since you said you don't need the Premiums) the rest comes down to how you use the receivers.

As already suggested, other receivers have cheaper monthly fees... and depending on how easy it is to run cabling, you can use HDMI and component outputs simultaneously to drive two different HDTVs with a receiver like the 722 as long as you are OK with both TVs displaying the same channel.
 

· New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We never use the receivers to control more than one TV at a time and I believe I can also connect 2 of the TV's to the same receiver since those TV's are never used at the same time. Can you still record something and watch something different with the receivers that don't control 2 TV's?
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
40 Posts
You should also look at swapping out all your equipment and get one hopper and 2 Joeys you will probably save some money and for sure headaches being able to watch all of your shows on any TV, also have you called about AMC being dropped they should drop your bill by 10.00/month for 6 months at least, and give you a Roku box to boot!
 

· Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
Joined
·
3,148 Posts
Drop BBMP too. Holy smokes.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
146 Posts
Keep 1 722--free except for the $6/month DVR fee.

Add 1 211--$7/month--Optionally, get an external hard drive and pay a one-time $40 fee to turn it into a DVR.

Drop the 622 and the 625 (Before doing so, find out why you are getting a $6/month DVR credit unless you already know why).

Drop the protection plan. (You should be able to drop and add it easily as needed due to a recent change.)

Drop [email protected] if you do not need it and do not watch the channels or use the one disc at a time service.

Drop from AEP to Dish America Silver ($49.99/month)/Dish Latino Max ($57.99/month)/America's Top 200 ($59.99/month).

Has: 3 HDTVs

Wants: Locals, Bravo, ESPN, and Food Network

Option 1:

Dish America Silver: $49.99 (locals, ESPN, and Food Network in $34.99/month Dish America...paying $15/month more for Bravo--does not contain ESPN U or ESPNews)
722 Primary Rec'r: $0.00 (1 HD TV and 1 SD TV--the SD feed could be for the TV hardly watched or not watched)
211 HD Solo: $7.00
DVR Service: $6.00

TOTAL: $62.99/month

Dish America lineup card (I do not think Sirius XM is included): http://www.mydish.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/DISHamericaChannelGuide.pdf

Option 2:

Dish Latino Max $57.99 (Locals, Bravo, and Food Network in $44.99/month Dish Latino Dos..paying $13/month more for Bravo and ESPN--does not contain ESPN U--A word of caution if you have kids: Playboy en Espanol is included at no additional charge--may still have to ask for it if wanted--not sure)
HD Max Free $0.00
722 $0.00
211 $7.00
DVR Service $6.00

TOTAL: $70.99

Dish Latino lineup card: http://www.mydish.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/OnlineChannel_Latino.pdf

Option 3:

America's Top 200 $59.99
HD 200 Free $0.00
722 $0.00
211 $7.00
DVR Service $6.00

TOTAL: $72.99

America's Top channel lineup card: http://www.mydish.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/StandardHDChannelGuide.pdf

I hope that helps. Remember that all three have varying channel lists. So, I would compare as they are somewhat close in price. When you said ESPN, I took it as the main feed. With that being said, in terms of the quantity of channels, I think there are more included in Dish Latino Max (which is a little bit lower than AT200 and AT250 but includes some channels from both along with Sirius XM and RSNs). The least amount of channels seems to be in Dish America Silver. However, if you wanted just Food Network and locals, the $14.99/month Welcome Pack would have been perfect! :) I would love to read what you choose to do, and good luck with your selection! :)
 

· Legend
Joined
·
146 Posts
"komondor" said:
You should also look at swapping out all your equipment and get one hopper and 2 Joeys you will probably save some money and for sure headaches being able to watch all of your shows on any TV, also have you called about AMC being dropped they should drop your bill by 10.00/month for 6 months at least, and give you a Roku box to boot!
While the Hopper is nice, it comes at a price. A Hopper and 2 Joeys would be $14.00/month. DVR service would be $6.00/month. Whole home service would be $4.00/month. That is $24.00/month alone in equipment fees.

For the price you have been paying, chatting with Dish about losing AMC Networks (AMC, IFC, Sundance Channel, and We TV) is not a bad idea. You may be eligible for credits along with a free Roku and possibly some free premiums or premium offers. You have been with Dish a long time that you should have some loyalty offers as well. Go to www.dish.com/chat (before you downgrade) and ask to be transferred to the Loyalty Department until they transfer you. Otherwise, if the initial CSR gives you a difficult time, try CSR roulette by leaving the chat and starting the process over.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
59 Posts
Really nice, Mojo.

We have AEP, but use the premiums. Jettison that, and the protection plan. I've picked up the protection plan a few times (in eight years) to get a service call to switch out the receiver. If you keep it for six months, there is not a fee to cancel the protection plan. It is much more cost effective to get it when you need it. Extended warranties and service protection plans are designed to make $ for the companies selling them; they are highly profitable. If we bought those plans on every appliance we ever owned we would be out thousands by now, instead of the few hundred we have paid in repairs over 27 years of marriage. :hurah:
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
88 Posts
Mojo Jojo said:
Keep 1 722--free except for the $6/month DVR fee.

Add 1 211--$7/month--Optionally, get an external hard drive and pay a one-time $40 fee to turn it into a DVR.

Drop the 622 and the 625 (Before doing so, find out why you are getting a $6/month DVR credit unless you already know why).

Drop the protection plan. (You should be able to drop and add it easily as needed due to a recent change.)

Drop [email protected] if you do not need it and do not watch the channels or use the one disc at a time service.

Drop from AEP to Dish America Silver ($49.99/month)/Dish Latino Max ($57.99/month)/America's Top 200 ($59.99/month).

Has: 3 HDTVs

Wants: Locals, Bravo, ESPN, and Food Network

Option 1:

Dish America Silver: $49.99 (locals, ESPN, and Food Network in $34.99/month Dish America...paying $15/month more for Bravo--does not contain ESPN U or ESPNews)
722 Primary Rec'r: $0.00 (1 HD TV and 1 SD TV--the SD feed could be for the TV hardly watched or not watched)
211 HD Solo: $7.00
DVR Service: $6.00

TOTAL: $62.99/month

Dish America lineup card (I do not think Sirius XM is included): http://www.mydish.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/DISHamericaChannelGuide.pdf

Option 2:

Dish Latino Max $57.99 (Locals, Bravo, and Food Network in $44.99/month Dish Latino Dos..paying $13/month more for Bravo and ESPN--does not contain ESPN U--A word of caution if you have kids: Playboy en Espanol is included at no additional charge--may still have to ask for it if wanted--not sure)
HD Max Free $0.00
722 $0.00
211 $7.00
DVR Service $6.00

TOTAL: $70.99

Dish Latino lineup card: http://www.mydish.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/OnlineChannel_Latino.pdf

Option 3:

America's Top 200 $59.99
HD 200 Free $0.00
722 $0.00
211 $7.00
DVR Service $6.00

TOTAL: $72.99

America's Top channel lineup card: http://www.mydish.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/StandardHDChannelGuide.pdf

I hope that helps. Remember that all three have varying channel lists. So, I would compare as they are somewhat close in price. When you said ESPN, I took it as the main feed. With that being said, in terms of the quantity of channels, I think there are more included in Dish Latino Max (which is a little bit lower than AT200 and AT250 but includes some channels from both along with Sirius XM and RSNs). The least amount of channels seems to be in Dish America Silver. However, if you wanted just Food Network and locals, the $14.99/month Welcome Pack would have been perfect! :) I would love to read what you choose to do, and good luck with your selection! :)
Option 4:
Skip the dual-tuner DVR and go with 2 - 211k receivers. $7 additional receiver fee, one-time hard drive activation fee, no monthly DVR fee. OTA capability. Mirror third television off one of the receivers.

I saw the OP was receiving a $6 monthly DVR credit. Take advantage of that.

America's Top 200 $59.99
HD 200 Free $0.00
Additional receiver fee: $7.00
DVR credit $-6.00
Total: $60.99.

Now I'm jealous.:D
 
Joined
·
37 Posts
I am happy to assist you with lowering your bill. Please PM your account or phone number and we can look into this.

lonedragonfly said:
I am looking to reduce the amount of my monthly bill. I have been a Dish customer for over 10 years and paying over $160 per month for TV just seems ridiculous. We only have 3 TV's in our house (all HD) and only 2 of them are ever being watched at the same time. We have a VIP 722, VIP622, and a 625. We really don't need any of the premium channels in our package as we watch mostly locals, Bravo, ESPN and the Food Network. We do use the DVR's to watch one channel while recording another. Is there someway we can reduce the number of receivers, and/or downgrade our package to lower the monthly bill?

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Period 07/16/12 - 08/15/12
Jul 16 - Aug 15 Monthly Charges
America's Everything Pak 104.99
Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
[email protected] 10.00
Protection Plan 7.00
DVR Service 6.00
$161.99
Jul 16 - Aug 15
Monthly Savings
Cr: DVR $6x24 -6.00
HD 250 Free ($10/mo) 0.00
-$6.00
Jul 06
State/Local Tax (Sales) 10.44

Bill Period 07/16/12 - 08/15/12 $166.43
Bill Due by Jul 26, 2012 $166.43
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top