DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok - here's how you really do it.

1.) Reset the unit -red button reset
2.) RIGHT after the almost there screen disappears mash on the record button and the down button at the same time (on the unit face plate) and hold them until the record light shines red - then let go.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
You could also just go through the GUI:

Menu->Setup->Reset->Reset Everything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
You could also just go through the GUI:

Menu->Setup->Reset->Reset Everything
Earl, could you provide some clarification on exactly what each reset option does? There has been some confusion as of late, at least with me. I have heard from some people that reset everything formats the hard drive but keeps SLs intact.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PoitNarf said:
Earl, could you provide some clarification on exactly what each reset option does? There has been some confusion as of late, at least with me. I have heard from some people that reset everything formats the hard drive but keeps SLs intact.
Nope - either method (I tried both last night) removes EVERYTHING! When you restart its just like the first time you plugged in the unit, have to go through all the setup screens etc. :D Don't try it unless you rrrrrrreeeeaaaaly want to redo everything. Also this whole reformat thing is fishy. D* explained to me that the Hard drive is more a RAM drive and does not format in the traditional manner. I'm too ignorant on that issue to comment, but I can say that the so called "refornatting" takes about 10 seconds, I thought it would take an hour or better for a drive that large. What the heck is the difference between a RAM drive and a regular Hard drive?
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Earl, could you provide some clarification on exactly what each reset option does? There has been some confusion as of late, at least with me. I have heard from some people that reset everything formats the hard drive but keeps SLs intact.
I have heard the same (at least from the R15 side), but from what I am told... they do the exact same thing.

The down-arrow Record method, is to be used when you don't have GUI access.
 

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
WANDERER said:
I'm too ignorant on that issue to comment, but I can say that the so called "reformatting" takes about 10 seconds, I thought it would take an hour or better for a drive that large. What the heck is the difference between a RAM drive and a regular Hard drive?
I never head that the 250GB/300GB HDD is a RAM drive ? This would be odd since the only solid state density drives ARE much lower density....example SanDisk, Silicon Systems, etc. Thus, the HDD must be a rotating media. To answer the question about a "RAM" drive is basically a bunch of flash chips that are configured to look like a HDD. This type of App (DVR) would not be a good RAM Drive App because of all the writes to the HDD, nor would it be cost effective, nor are the densities there. So, the HR20 must be a HDD, probably notebook SATA drive.

So, if the above "reFormat" process takes only few seconds or even couple minutes then the drive most definitely is not doing a full reformat. It must be doing a quick format and possibly a bad sector check....kinda like FDisk on a PC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,456 Posts
thekochs said:
So, if the above "reFormat" process takes only few seconds or even couple minutes then the drive most definitely is not doing a full reformat. It must be doing a quick format and possibly a bad sector check....kinda like FDisk on a PC.
Yup. :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thekochs said:
I never head that the 250GB/300GB HDD is a RAM drive ? This would be odd since the only solid state density drives ARE much lower density....example SanDisk, Silicon Systems, etc. Thus, the HDD must be a rotating media. To answer the question about a "RAM" drive is basically a bunch of flash chips that are configured to look like a HDD. This type of App (DVR) would not be a good RAM Drive App because of all the writes to the HDD, nor would it be cost effective, nor are the densities there. So, the HR20 must be a HDD, probably notebook SATA drive.

So, if the above "reFormat" process takes only few seconds or even couple minutes then the drive most definitely is not doing a full reformat. It must be doing a quick format and possibly a bad sector check....kinda like FDisk on a PC.
Yep - but another example of D* CSR knowledge of product! :)

I agree - this did not pass for sense.

So this all said - is there really a way to do a full format?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
WANDERER said:
So this all said - is there really a way to do a full format?
You could always take the drive out of the HR20, put it into a computer and do a low level format of the entire disk :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
686 Posts
format time is dependent on both filesystem and size. some filesystems take hours to create, and some take seconds. sounds like they're using something like ext2 or ext3.

someone mentioned ordering drives "formatted for linux" and the HR20 recognizing them without a format- this strongly corroborates my suspicions.

if I had any spare time, I'd move an esata disk from the hr20 to a linux box, but i barely have time to watch the shows i record :p
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
matto said:
format time is dependent on both filesystem and size. some filesystems take hours to create, and some take seconds. sounds like they're using something like ext2 or ext3.

someone mentioned ordering drives "formatted for linux" and the HR20 recognizing them without a format- this strongly corroborates my suspicions.

if I had any spare time, I'd move an esata disk from the hr20 to a linux box, but i barely have time to watch the shows i record :p
I wish I had that problem! Mine keeps missing recordings! LOL! :D
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
77 Posts
Marty B said:
I chuckle every time I hear someone talk about "mashing" a button.:lol:
Sounds messy doesn't it. I guess you could do that for a one time use button.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
25 Posts
PoitNarf said:
You could always take the drive out of the HR20, put it into a computer and do a low level format of the entire disk :D
Then it will have no operating system when your done. Plus you need the proper OS to even begin. I believe it's directv proprietary. I know Tivos use Linux (that's one of the reason why it takes so much longer to reformat).

My take on the "reformate" is that it's main purpose is to block bad sectors. The 2major reasons for the need to reformat a dvr is if

A. You have had it for a long time and bad sectors have been created from recording over and over and over yada yada. (wait about 5-7 more months for this issue if you got it in september).

B. Some kind of power surge has created major sector problems.

I think reset everything does what a reformat does except blocking off bad sectors. It's a quick format because it's a dvr. You don't need to pull off and reload the OS like a computer because it doesn't get "infected" (unless you count crappy downloads that make more problems LOL).

Furthermore a reset everything will probably only fix the bugs associated with a bad software download that doesn't load properly.

I think the only two options right now are the resets and waiting for more download fixes.

But I STILL LOVE my HR20. :)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top