DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a combo Tivo/Sat unit for years and now just received my HR20 unit. I want to know if I am doing something wrong or not.

With my old unit I liked to record unknown movies by genre. I would select the genre and the ones I receive would display alphabetically. I would select the one I want, it would show me the times it was showing, and I would hit record.

Now, under search, there is no genre. Only Title, Person, Keyword, and Channel.

So I went to Category sort, Movies, Action/Adventure. What I got was 1824 selections! Most of them were on channels I don't receive first of all. Then, they were listed by time over and over and over again. The same titles would show up! Not alphabetically like before, so you could scroll thru and select one. I don't care when it comes on, as long as it records it.

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. This is how I use my DVR most of the time. To find movies I don't know the names of in certain genres. To find a movie now it's like a needle in a haystack because it shows channels I don't receive and you have to keep flipping page by page to go thru all the time slots.

I made a custom lineup of only the channles I receive but that didn't help. It still shows every movie on every channel.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Try using the Catalog serach (I think that is what it is called).

When you are in the guide... hit menu.
There is another "filtering/search" method there.

I am not home right now, so I can't check it exactly

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is called "CategorySort". This is what I already tried which is horrible. It lists the movies on all the channels, even the ones I don't receive. That's problem one. The second problem is it doesn't list them alphabetically like the other searches. It lists them by time slots over and over again. There has got to be a better way than this.

With my Tivo unit I select "Search by Title", "Movies", than the genre and than the full list comes up alphbetically. It seems the HR20 is missing one important filtering step. After you select "Search by Title" it should give you a choice on where to search for it. Than you could narrow it down.

And how do you get it to search only the "Channels I Get". When I go to this menu it shows all 570 stations and doesn't let me filter it down. When I set up a Custom List the searches don't use this, they bypass this and it searches all the channels.

Is my unit working properly?

· Godfather
340 Posts
alexdrozd said:
It is called "CategorySort". This is what I already tried which is horrible. It lists the movies on all the channels, even the ones I don't receive. That's problem one. The second problem is it doesn't list them alphabetically like the other searches. It lists them by time slots over and over again. There has got to be a better way than this.

With my Tivo unit I select "Search by Title", "Movies", than the genre and than the full list comes up alphbetically. It seems the HR20 is missing one important filtering step. After you select "Search by Title" it should give you a choice on where to search for it. Than you could narrow it down.

And how do you get it to search only the "Channels I Get". When I go to this menu it shows all 570 stations and doesn't let me filter it down. When I set up a Custom List the searches don't use this, they bypass this and it searches all the channels.

Is my unit working properly?
It is working correctly. Check out this thread.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=67754

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.