DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to make the switch from DirecTV to Echo for the HD programming and the ViP622.

Before calling to place the order I want to ensure I understand what to ask for, because it's usually impossible to get them to adjust things after that.

Most importantly what dish/antenna/wiring do I want them to install? My current setup has a DirecTV dish with two very high quality RG6 cables running about 280' to my media panel, then two cables to my dvr. I'm outside seattle and there are lots of trees to avoid, as you might have guessed.

I really want to ensure that the signal quality is excellent. Is there a larger dish option to request? Can it all come in via one cable?

Bottom line, what should I negotiate on the first call? Thanks!!!

·
Godfather/Supporter
1,436 Posts
You should be able to reuse the 2 lines of RG6. 280' is a LONG run. The Pac NW is tough to set up. The 129 Sat is weak up there and the 61.5 Sat needs a long clear line of sight (East) as its very low in the sky but at least the signal is strong if you can get it. You would probably need one of the new Dish 1000+ model Dishes. Its a few inches bigger than the standard Dish 1000. You also have to connect a phone line or pay an extra $5 a month. There is a $10x10mo rebate for new HD subscribers that will help offset the upfront cost. The form is on the Dish website. If you subscribe to the Everything package you get the PVR fees waved. You can use only one cable coming into the receiver if you use a separator at the 622 (supplied). You will need to supply your own HDMI cable if needed (monoprice.com). Only a component cable comes with the box. I think thats about it.

Oh and :welcome_s to DBSTalk.com!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,893 Posts
RubenD said:
My current setup has a DirecTV dish with two very high quality RG6 cables running about 280' to my media panel, then two cables to my dvr.
That's a monster run. They will likely want to try something else. You should scout out a way that they can see all the necessary satellites (110, 119, 129) to see if there is any chance it is going to work.
I really want to ensure that the signal quality is excellent. Is there a larger dish option to request?
There is a larger "wing dish" that is sometimes used in the Seattle area for 129. Digital "quality" depends less on the power of the signal and more on the cleanliness of the signal. Having a long run of cable typically hurts quality.
Can it all come in via one cable?
Absolutely!
Bottom line, what should I negotiate on the first call?
You may be happier not calling Dish Network. I would suggest that you first try a local authorized Dish Network retailer that does their own installs. In this way, you can iron out everything up front and get it in writing.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much for the suggestions! What's the pointing angle for the 61.5 dish to the East? I've got a hill due east. Of course, in this area there's a hill in every direction. :)

The DirecTV sats are at about 133 degress (azimuth?) from my zip of 98053. Aren't the Dish sats at about 157 degrees, or is that just the 129 sat?

Is the wing dish the same dish as the larger 1000+ with different LNB's?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,893 Posts
RubenD said:
What's the pointing angle for the 61.5 dish to the East? I've got a hill due east. Of course, in this area there's a hill in every direction. :)
More important than the azimuth is the elevation. 61.5 requires an unobscured view at only 10-11 degrees above level.
The DirecTV sats are at about 133 degress (azimuth?) from my zip of 98053.
DirecTV's basic satellites are spread across 20 degrees of sky; 99W, 101W, 103W, 110W and 119W (plus some way out stuff for some locals and internationals).
Aren't the Dish sats at about 157 degrees, or is that just the 129 sat?
Dish Network has has satellites at 110W, 119W and 129W for Left Coast subscribers (and 121 for those seeking international content).
Is the wing dish the same dish as the larger 1000+ with different LNB's?
The Dish1000+ is not a consideration for you as your locals come from the basic Dish500 locations. I can't say I've heard from anyone with the bigger secondary dish, but I'd assume that it was a 20" or larger round dish.

The key is to consider both the azimuth and elevation. The single number that you have is generally the number for just one of the satellites. In theory, if you get one of them right, the others should be lined up too.

Most installers have a plastic gizmo that allows them to survey the situation in seconds. It involves a level, a compass and some sights indicating the position of the various satellites. if they can see sky at the necessary angles, you're in.

·
2 Posts
Hi,
New member here. I'm switching over from D* to E*. The reason is I don't believe the D* HD-DVR is as reliable as the one from E*. Am I correct?

Anyway, if anyone would like to PM me a ClubDish or DishClub or whatever number I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
b76778b said:
The reason is I don't believe the D* HD-DVR is as reliable as the one from E*. Am I correct?
You have a PM with a ClubDISH code.

I can't say how reliable they are, but whenever I go look at the signup stuff, I can't open a new account with just an HD DVR. They are wait list only. As an existing sub, do you show them as available to you without going on a wait list? I have read that the OTA tuner is supposed to be enabled RSN.

·
2 Posts
CABill said:
You have a PM with a ClubDISH code.

I can't say how reliable they are, but whenever I go look at the signup stuff, I can't open a new account with just an HD DVR. They are wait list only. As an existing sub, do you show them as available to you without going on a wait list? I have read that the OTA tuner is supposed to be enabled RSN.
Thanks for the number. It worked flawlessly! If the HD-DVR from D* would have been available I probably would have stayed with them. The CSR couldn't or wouldn't give me any time frame for availability. Thanks again for the swift response!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.