DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· AllStar
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there folks!
I'm currently a directv dvr customer but I'm interested in getting a standalone tivo. HOw would i go about using that? I understand that I can't do the dual recording with one unit, so i'd have to get two, is that ok?
I like tivo's Tivo to go features, and other things, which is why i'm going with them! thanks!

· Hall Of Fame
2,463 Posts
You set the Tivo to record from either the line input or channel 3 (or 4) on the tuner. www.tivo.com has instructions for setting the TiVo up to have the DVR control the D* receiver. That's about it.

· Godfather
367 Posts
Oh boy, this would be difficult at best, nigh impossible most likely for dual tuner recording.

* Record from two basic cable channels, or one basic cable and one digital cable channel, at once. Does not support recording from two digital cable or satellite channels at once. Supports recording from cable and satellite sources only; does not support recording from over-the-air antenna.

Thats from the tivo website describing the tivo series 2. The series 3 ($799) does indeed have dual internal digital tuners, but they're QAM for digi cable and not usable for directv signals.

As he said above, if you want to just hook one up no problem. But dual tuner recording isn't going to happen most likely.

If you really want tivo with directv, I suggest picking up an r10 from a 3rd party for around $100.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
If you got two stand alone TiVos to record two things at once, you would also need two DirecTv receivers - one for each TiVo. You could not record to two TiVos off of one DirecTv receiver.

· AllStar
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JLucPicard said:
If you got two stand alone TiVos to record two things at once, you would also need two DirecTv receivers - one for each TiVo. You could not record to two TiVos off of one DirecTv receiver.
hi! Thats what i wanted to know.. I had planned all along to get two recievers, and two tivo's...
You all wouldn't happen to know how to get a directv with tivo set up so i can transfer shows off of it? i know this will involve opening it, but this is really the main reason i'm going to the standalone tivo's...
i've tried searching, but I may be searching for the wrong thing... thanks again! atleast i know if i can't hack the directivo i can get two tivo's and two directv recievers(btw i have a directv dvr(non tivo) if i cancel the DVR with directv, will it still function as a normal directv receiver?)

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
If you have a DirecTv DVR and cancel DVR service, I believe the DVR becomes a paper weight. I don't think it can function as just a receiver.

As for rigging a DirecTv DVR to allow transferring of programs, I think there may be a forum at TiVoCommunity.com that goes into some of that. I am not familiar with it myself, but if there's things you can't find here on DBSTalk, sometimes you will find it there.

· Cool Member
25 Posts
steveymac said:
if i cancel the DVR with directv, will it still function as a normal directv receiver?)
If you cancel DVR services on a non-Tivo DVR from directv it will still work. You'll just get a "please activate your DVR services ext. 81" message if you try to record or use the DVR functions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.