DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a satellite tech, although I do have an engineering degree and know how to diagnose something when I have a clue what I'm doing, so is there any document that explains how to use the test/diagnostic functions under the Setup menu to check my signal reception/strength?

I've gone to that screen, but don't understand at all what all the numbers and settings mean and what a "switch test' is, etc. I do see that the bar along the bottom is only reading a 15 when I go there, which doesn't seem very good if it is actually on a 0-100 scale, but again not sure how to interpret what I'm seeing.

Any tips for checking things out before I spend the $$$ for a DISH tech visit (see my "Complete Signal Loss" thread for more of the story)? Thanks!

·
Icon
678 Posts
To answer a part of your question.

I like to think of a "check switch test" as a ping test. It does a ping to identify what equipment your using (like what kind of switches you have), after that It pings the satellites your pointing at by pinging 4-ish transponders on each (my memory of the process if fuzzy).
Its usually used in troubleshooting steps for missing guide info (if hard reset didnt work) and sig loss issues (again if hard reset didnt work). Usually if it doesnt work and the cabling is all correct indoors a tech will have to be dispatched.

edit:
By the way regarding signal strength. 15 is indeed poor lol, depending where you are though some locations can get away with 45-50% strength (customers closer to the equator), but generally 60-80% across the board on all sats is the sweet spot from what I recall. 90 and above is from my experience really rare and Its my personal believe people with that high of a strength probably lives in space or on a mountain lol.

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P Smith said:
You could (accounting your background ;) ) tweak your dish aiming and avoid costly tech visit.
Do that slowly and use walkies-talkie with an assistant.
So is there some sort of "signal strength" display that I could have someone watch while doing this?

My first sat TV experience was with DirecTV early in the game before they even had local techs -- it was strictly a DIY proposition. Their receiver had a fairly straightforward display that made it easy to zero in once I set the elevation according to my latitude and a compass to approximate the direction. It worked without readjustment for at least 10 years!

·
Icon
616 Posts
The "Point Dish" screen is the signal strength display. It also has auditory feedback.

You can change which satellite and transponder you are looking at. If you first tune to a channel you are having trouble with, and then go to "Point Dish" it should be on the matching satellite and transponder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.