DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons HR 20-100 is running extremely sluggish. It takes 20 seconds or more to change channels and most remote functions are slow reacting. It is not the remote and is running ok otherwise. It is on the December 2011 software.

Any ideas on how to get it running smoothly again?

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Starchild said:
My sons HR 20-100 is running extremely sluggish. It takes 20 seconds or more to change channels and most remote functions are slow reacting. It is not the remote and is running ok otherwise. It is on the December 2011 software.

Any ideas on how to get it running smoothly again?
You might try rebooting the 100 twice within a half hour. That will clear the Guide data and should get you going again. If that's the problem.

Just reboot and when the HR is working after the reboot, immediately reboot again. It will take some time for the HR to gather Guide data. Try it, nothing to lose. It's worked for me several times.

Rich

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
AN NVRAM reset has also been often suggested. I am not sure if it is effective, but it couldn't hurt. How do we do that again, guys?

IIRC, what worked for me was the "reset defaults" option, but that may be because it does much the same thing as 2 resets in the same half hour, possibly a bit more than that (avoid "reset everything" if you are fond of your current recordings).

While unlikely, it could be a bad software download. You could try the "02468" trick (elsewhere on forum). That has solved other issues for me. But the first thing to try is ONE reset. If the HDD is churning for whatever reason, that will cure that, at least.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
From another reply here on the forum..

Tune to channel 1.
Reset the receiver using the red reset button.
Wait for video and audio to return.
Tune to channel 1 again.
Wait for Customer Information Channel to load (takes 10-15 seconds).
On the remote, press RED / RED / BLUE / BLUE / YELLOW / GREEN.
The message, "Observe NVRAM is cleared," should display on the bottom of the screen.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
TomCat said:
AN NVRAM reset has also been often suggested. I am not sure if it is effective, but it couldn't hurt. How do we do that again, guys?
That's never done anything for me. Fun to do tho. Little pleasures.

IIRC, what worked for me was the "reset defaults" option, but that may be because it does much the same thing as 2 resets in the same half hour, possibly a bit more than that (avoid "reset everything" if you are fond of your current recordings).
Never tried that one. But if it does the same as rebooting twice quickly it is probably the best thing to do.

While unlikely, it could be a bad software download. You could try the "02468" trick (elsewhere on forum). That has solved other issues for me. But the first thing to try is ONE reset. If the HDD is churning for whatever reason, that will cure that, at least.
One reset usually cures most problems. Forcing a download is another thing that has never solved a problem for me.

Rich

·
Hall Of Famer
1,866 Posts
as i said in another thread channel surfing very quickly and scrolling guide faster improves remote response temporarly but remains the same when opening playist if there alot of programs (especialy on external drive) try it see if it works out good luck.

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
On My HR20s it seems deleting clips and opening the PL takes longer since the new GUI. These may be the most-advanced DVRs out there, but certainly not in the area of speed. It sort of always feels like 2003 when using this DVR.

It seems to want to cache the entire playlist before displaying the first page. Maybe that was how it was with the old GUI, but the old GUI took less time to display, so maybe that is no longer such a good idea. I'd rather have it cache as I scroll, which would not be faster, but would seem faster at least. It could cache a page or two ahead which would mean it would serve the next page nearly when asked for, and it could catch up while I'm looking at that page.

Again, they didn't ask me when they wrote the code. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.