DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really dont like this hr-20-700. I really wish DTV didnt severe its relationship with Tivo. The thing just sucks everywhere I used to use my tivo version. Anyways, the manual that came with my unit is real boring :) and I cant seem to find out where I make the changes so that when I try to set up the new sorry excuse for a season pass it doesnt try to record on the affiliate east coast/west coast channels. I did a search for the simpsons, went to auto record. and came home to only one recording that had any video, 4 other ones all had searching for content or whatever recorded while to changed to channel 88/89 in HD (FOX HD E/W) and 388/389 (Fox SD). You gotta be kiding me if I have to goto the to do list and manually unchoose every single show with a little (R) next to it for the next two weeks, and then update it every 2 weeks as it finds new programs on channels I dont get. I already went to the favorites and set it to custom #1 and removed all the channels I dont get, but unlike Tivo's season pass that would drop recording attempts on channels I dont get, they are all still in the to do list, well actually, if you look at the to do list, it actually has magically decided to record all the first runs on channels I DONT get and not to record on the ones that I do get.

Someone please tell me that the season pass option (the TRUE reason most all of us got Tivo's and choose NOT to use DISH network, or cable companies because of their lacking Season Pass feature) has been brought to DirecTV's attention of HOW BAD their software is. Its like a damn Microsoft UTV actually, which also died out because it did it just like the new DTV DVR does things while everyone wanted a system that behaved like a Tivo.

I seriously felt my world crush as I experienced every individual feature or LACK of feature in this new unit. Well, I guess I should start complaining to DTV, whenever I call them, they tell me I am a A customer, one of their most important (with 12 recievers and a 250.00 a month bill for the last 5 years, they should) I will continue to leave my hr-20-700 connected up until the DTivo's dont work hoping that software updates can make the damn thing work, but if this is the future of DTV, its not a future with me in it.

Anyways, Im going to go look for a if your used to doing it this way, this is how you half a** do it now faq, Im sure one must exist. If anyone knows the answer to my original question, how do I tell it to do repeat recordings, but only on channels that I actually get (seriously, I cant believe I have to even ask this and its not done by default) please chime in.

Thanks

John

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
SepticDeath said:
I cant seem to find out where I make the changes so that when I try to set up the new sorry excuse for a season pass it doesnt try to record on the affiliate east coast/west coast channels. I did a search for the simpsons, went to auto record. and came home to only one recording that had any video, 4 other ones all had searching for content or whatever recorded while to changed to channel 88/89 in HD (FOX HD E/W) and 388/389 (Fox SD). You gotta be kiding me if I have to goto the to do list and manually unchoose every single show with a little (R) next to it for the next two weeks, and then update it every 2 weeks as it finds new programs on channels I dont get. I already went to the favorites and set it to custom #1 and removed all the channels I dont get, but unlike Tivo's season pass that would drop recording attempts on channels I dont get, they are all still in the to do list, well actually, if you look at the to do list, it actually has magically decided to record all the first runs on channels I DONT get and not to record on the ones that I do get.

Someone please tell me that the season pass option (the TRUE reason most all of us got Tivo's and choose NOT to use DISH network, or cable companies because of their lacking Season Pass feature) has been brought to DirecTV's attention of HOW BAD their software is. Its like a damn Microsoft UTV actually, which also died out because it did it just like the new DTV DVR does things while everyone wanted a system that behaved like a Tivo.

I seriously felt my world crush as I experienced every individual feature or LACK of feature in this new unit. Well, I guess I should start complaining to DTV, whenever I call them, they tell me I am a A customer, one of their most important (with 12 recievers and a 250.00 a month bill for the last 5 years, they should) I will continue to leave my hr-20-700 connected up until the DTivo's dont work hoping that software updates can make the damn thing work, but if this is the future of DTV, its not a future with me in it.

Anyways, Im going to go look for a if your used to doing it this way, this is how you half ass do it now faq, Im sure one must exist. If anyone knows the answer to my original question, how do I tell it to do repeat recordings, but only on channels that I actually get (seriously, I cant believe I have to even ask this and its not done by default) please chime in.

Thanks

John
John,

In the land of Tivo, a season pass was to record a show from one channel. In the HR20 terms, this would be a "series link". If you go thru the guide, find and highlight an episode of the show in question. If you press the record button once, that will setup a one-time recording of that episode. If you press the record button twice, it will create a Series Link for that show, at any time, on that channel.

You can also set defaults to start early or end late (something I wished my Tivos could do) so that you don't have to change that option every time you setup a recording.

There is an excellent tips and tricks guide in the first post in the thread. There is also a link to another guide just for Tivo users.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
John,

Welcome to the forum. :welcome_s You should check out this guide: http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6605&d=1163706350.

It will help you with some of your anxiety and after a short time you're going to realize that the HR20 has lots of advantages over the TIVO box. I came from an HR10-250 and I don't miss it a bit.

There are lots of people here that are willing to walk you through any questions or problems you might have; so fee free to post questions and comments whenever you feel the need.

·
AllStar
57 Posts
SepticDeath said:
I cant seem to find out where I make the changes so that when I try to set up the new sorry excuse for a season pass it doesnt try to record on the affiliate east coast/west coast channels. I did a search for the simpsons, went to auto record. and came home to only one recording that had any video, 4 other ones all had searching for content or whatever recorded while to changed to channel 88/89 in HD (FOX HD E/W) and 388/389 (Fox SD).
It seems you did a record by title (havn't used it myself, but others claim to use it).

This is not a season pass/series link (tivo/dtv terms).

To setup a season link, find an episode of the simpsons in the guide on the channel you want it to record on( say, 389, which I use) hit enter, and then go to record, and then to the right tab which should say "Series Link (acheived by navigating to the top, or by pressing green). I am not infront of my HR20 right now, so I am not positive if this is right, but I am nearly sure it is.

You can also find your episode through the search function, and then select an airing on the channel you want on the right.

P.s.

I too had a rough transition from my TiVo to my HR20. But, just like switching from crawling to walking, you get used to it with time, and come to enjoy the new benefits.

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. You are right, I originally started by doing a search by title and then hitting auto record. I still havent been able to figure out how to remove this, but I thought by deleting and canceling every single thing I told it it to record I might reduce all items in the to do list that it wants to record on channels I dont have. I eventually got the to do list to have nothing in it. Sure isnt intuitive, thats for sure.
I must have something jacked up somewhere because after reading Tom's post above, I again, said, Okay. This is exactly like Ultimate TV. No wishlists, okay, I turned the guide on, went to 11:00PM, found the simpsons, highlighted it, clicked the record twice to get the R((( and figured, cool now I just have to actually manipulate the guide to every single hour and channel that has something that I want to record. I guess I can use some online guide to do a search for me so I can know what days something might be on another channel at a diffrent time.

I went back to the to do list, and there again were simpsons on fox 88/89 388/389 (fox I dont get). And not at 11:00pm, there were 7 pm on 6 (correct) and 11:30 on 388.

Guess what ever I did with the search is messing it all up. I'll have to read the manual because what I thought I did, I didnt do, obviously.

Thanks.

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
SepticDeath said:
Thanks for the input. You are right, I originally started by doing a search by title and then hitting auto record. I still havent been able to figure out how to remove this, but I thought by deleting and canceling every single thing I told it it to record I might reduce all items in the to do list that it wants to record on channels I dont have. I eventually got the to do list to have nothing in it. Sure isnt intuitive, thats for sure.
I must have something jacked up somewhere because after reading Tom's post above, I again, said, Okay. This is exactly like Ultimate TV. No wishlists, okay, I turned the guide on, went to 11:00PM, found the simpsons, highlighted it, clicked the record twice to get the R((( and figured, cool now I just have to actually manipulate the guide to every single hour and channel that has something that I want to record. I guess I can use some online guide to do a search for me so I can know what days something might be on another channel at a diffrent time.

I went back to the to do list, and there again were simpsons on fox 88/89 388/389 (fox I dont get). And not at 11:00pm, there were 7 pm on 6 (correct) and 11:30 on 388.

Guess what ever I did with the search is messing it all up. I'll have to read the manual because what I thought I did, I didnt do, obviously.

Thanks.
I went through some of the same stuff. You don't have to browse the guide to do SLs. You can do a search by title (I believe) and still hit (R) twice to record a Series Link... but only on that channel. They still don't have anything that will get all of the episodes across multiple channels except Autorecord, and I'm not a big fan of using a feature that has a history of bugs in the current release.

It took me a while to get my guide the way I wanted it too. I ended up naming one of the favorites lists something I could recognize, then dropping all the channels I don't get / don't want to see.

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I took a little time today, erased everything (because somehow I managed to do a autorecord on a program, and whenever I attempted to try to sys-link all channels of the said program got added to the scheduler, even channels I don't get). Anyways, after a delete all, and reboot, without ever touching the autorecord I have managed to do a search, get info on the program and sucessfully make a sys-link for each channel I do get the program on and it all looks like it might actually do what I want it to.

However, I do have 1 question, and reading the faq's I don't see how, so maybe it's not possible.

Lets use familyguy as an example. Which airs at 8:30pm on Sunday's with new episodes. It also airs on TBS and FOX multiple times on seperate days. Using search I successfully made Sys-Links for each channel, however. For the shows being recorded on channels 247 and 296 I want to only keep a max of 5 recordings, but for the New episodes, from Channel 6 only on Sunday night, I want to keep all recordings.

So far, when I goto the scheduler, I see multiple entry's, one for each channel, each with the correct R(( next to them, I naivigate to the channel 6 entry and make the sys-link changes to record all, am asked to update all and I do.

Now all the scheduled Family guys get modified. Is their a way to do what I wish. I assume that I could create a manual 8:30pm 30minute recording of channel 6, this might allow me to set seperate retention properties, but seems again, like a half ass way to do this. Sorry to waste all your time, I'm sure I could just test it, but again, Im down at the computer trying to read up on this unit.

Thanks team...

John
//-SD

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
SepticDeath said:
Thanks, I took a little time today, erased everything (because somehow I managed to do a autorecord on a program, and whenever I attempted to try to sys-link all channels of the said program got added to the scheduler, even channels I don't get). Anyways, after a delete all, and reboot, without ever touching the autorecord I have managed to do a search, get info on the program and sucessfully make a sys-link for each channel I do get the program on and it all looks like it might actually do what I want it to.

However, I do have 1 question, and reading the faq's I don't see how, so maybe it's not possible.

Lets use familyguy as an example. Which airs at 8:30pm on Sunday's with new episodes. It also airs on TBS and FOX multiple times on seperate days. Using search I successfully made Sys-Links for each channel, however. For the shows being recorded on channels 247 and 296 I want to only keep a max of 5 recordings, but for the New episodes, from Channel 6 only on Sunday night, I want to keep all recordings.

So far, when I goto the scheduler, I see multiple entry's, one for each channel, each with the correct R(( next to them, I naivigate to the channel 6 entry and make the sys-link changes to record all, am asked to update all and I do.

Now all the scheduled Family guys get modified. Is their a way to do what I wish. I assume that I could create a manual 8:30pm 30minute recording of channel 6, this might allow me to set seperate retention properties, but seems again, like a half ass way to do this. Sorry to waste all your time, I'm sure I could just test it, but again, Im down at the computer trying to read up on this unit.

Thanks team...

John
//-SD
Interesting! You may have found another defect.

Are you updated to the new version of the software, 0x104? (Menu, Help&Settings, Setup, Info&Test).

Cheers,
Tom

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tibber said:
Interesting! You may have found another defect.

Are you updated to the new version of the software, 0x104? (Menu, Help&Settings, Setup, Info&Test).

Cheers,
Tom
OXFA updated last on Wed Dec 6th
none scheduled

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Thanks, that will help the guys at directv.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Tom, I havent had any chime in to tell me how to do it, so I must have found something thats just not right. I hope its a messed up feature and not just a bad planned control. THen again, no one else has chimed in about it, and I cant believe I am the only one that wants to keep all episodes of the new year releases of a show, but also record and keep a diffrent amount of the re-runs and older episodes shown on another channel.

Thanks

Maybe some of these "guys" @ direct can touch this post with a "got it" or "looking into it" :)

Must be busy I tell you, I cant keep up with all the diffrent issues and diffrent scenarios. ;)

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
SepticDeath said:
Well Tom, I havent had any chime in to tell me how to do it, so I must have found something thats just not right. I hope its a messed up feature and not just a bad planned control. THen again, no one else has chimed in about it, and I cant believe I am the only one that wants to keep all episodes of the new year releases of a show, but also record and keep a diffrent amount of the re-runs and older episodes shown on another channel.

Thanks

Maybe some of these "guys" @ direct can touch this post with a "got it" or "looking into it" :)

Must be busy I tell you, I cant keep up with all the diffrent issues and diffrent scenarios. ;)
I think you've found a real defect and you've helped Directv by describing the problem very clearly (so few people actually describe their problems!) I hope to test your scenario as soon as I get the new code; you've done a thorough enough job, I didn't feel the need to repeat your test on the current release. (Tho, if you or anyone else would like, I would be happy to.):goodjob:

Cheers,
Tom

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Hi All,

I just got my HR-20 installed today. I am coming from the Ultimate TV "use model" and am having difficulty setting up a "series recording" from the "search" menu. I did a search on this forum and found this thread which is exactly what I am trying to do.

I do a search, (from menu->search->title) type in the name to filter the list, move the cursor over the program I want and press select. The resulting screen give me the options on the left pane to "Edit, Delete, Done" the right or center pane shows the program title. I highlight the title and hit record. If I press it more than once, the "R" toggles off and on. I was expecting to see the "staggered offset" "R" like the manual shows for setting up a series from the guide. Any comments on what I am doing wrong?

Also, does the search support wildcards? I tried doing a search on "Amazing Race" and didn't get anything. I had to put in "The Amazing....." Seems pretty crazy that you have to know the exact title.

I appreciate your help.

thanks

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
photojon said:
Hi All,

Also, does the search support wildcards? I tried doing a search on "Amazing Race" and didn't get anything. I had to put in "The Amazing....." Seems pretty crazy that you have to know the exact title.

I appreciate your help.

thanks
Welcome to the forum!!:welcome_s

You get pretty far into it and are really close to being at the right spot. The HR20 uses TABS. On the first tab, usually the one showing - it's for a single episode recording. You'll need to highlight that tab (near the top) and then notice the one next to it, on the right that isn't filled in... and select that one. It will give you the "series link" option and you can record stuff in many ways. All episodes, First runs, starting early/ending late... etc. Be careful to not get too frustrated as it can be a bit tricky and is one of the updates in the works, I assume. You'll trudge thru it and eventually it will get a bit easier but there are still a few times I mess it up as I'm sure everyone else does as well. Good luck and great post!

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another note, after doing my harddrive format, and starting fresh, my search's didnt provide me with all possible programs until I tried them the next afternoon. After thinking about it, thats a lot faster than my tivo units, when you consider that a complete system reset takes about 4 hours or so, and a few days for the guide to repopulate. I'm drifting now, just thought I'd mention that if you just got it installed, its going to take some time to get the info into it...

John
SD

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply and your encouraging words. The first time I did my search, the series tab was not available. I suspect this is because the guide wasn't populated enough so it didn't know that the show was reoccuring or part of a series. In any event, I was able to select the program and then hit <R> <R> and received the "staggered" recording icon indicating a series. I then was able to go in and set the preferences for that series.

Coming from an Ultimate TV use model, the transition has been pretty easy. The one I am still struggling with is how to do a search when you don't know the exact title but you do know parts of the title. Additionally, it would be nice if they added a <backspace> key to the online keyboard instead of having to delete back and then retype.

Thanks again.

P.S. With a login of Coffey77 you must be a hockey fan! I can't wait to see my first HD Sharks game!

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
I think I may have answered my own question. If I do a search and then choose <keyword> from the search types, I get the "wildcard" type search where I don't need to know the exact title.

Thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.