DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Legend
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 HD tivoes and finally decided to let D upgrade them the HR models and I have to agree to the 2 years , not a problem . So today when I get home from work there are 2 recivers and to AM21s on my porch I open them up and I have 2 refurb HR20-700's .
1- should I call and say hay you need to send me to other recivers
2- just keep them and keep the Am21'snd if the others ones die they can send me HR21 I will be ready.
3- are they just as good as the HR-21-10-300 models , can I get on demand with these recivers?

I had the HR 20-700 when it 1st came out but had nothing but problems with it and they replaced it with an HR21-100 .

·
Godfather
457 Posts
LOBO2999 said:
I have 2 HD tivoes and finally decided to let D upgrade them the HR models and I have to agree to the 2 years , not a problem . So today when I get home from work there are 2 recivers and to AM21s on my porch I open them up and I have 2 refurb HR20-700's .
1- should I call and say hay you need to send me to other recivers
2- just keep them and keep the Am21'snd if the others ones die they can send me HR21 I will be ready.
3- are they just as good as the HR-21-10-300 models , can I get on demand with these recivers?

I had the HR 20-700 when it 1st came out but had nothing but problems with it and they replaced it with an HR21-100 .
Keep the HR20's if they are working ok. HR20-700 is/was their best DVR expect possibily the new HR24 which is only availble in certain markets currently. You will not need the AM21's since the HR20 has dual integrated OTA tuners.

·
Legend
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I dont need the D AM 21's but I think I should just keep them just incase , Also will the HR 20-700 do everything the HR21's will ? I know the HD drive is smaller Right? Or when they refurb them do they put larger HD's back in them?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
25,275 Posts
The HR20 is excellent.. My 4 are slightly faster than my HR21's...

It will do everything all the other HR's can do, except for the new HR24, which you can't get yet anyway.

The hard drive isn't as big as the HR23, but you can always add an eSata and have a bigger drive then any of them come stock...

I'd keep the AM21's, because some day you may end up with HR24's, and you'll want them for that....

I'd keep what was given you and enjoy it!

·
Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
LOBO2999 said:
Or when they refurb them do they put larger HD's back in them?

Thanks!
Some have reported larger drives in the refurbs, I don't know this for a fact. The standard 300 gb drive will hold 50 hours of HD which equates to 2% per hour indicated on the status bar.

·
Legend
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing is one of the HD tivos is a lease reciver but they didnt send me return info and they didnt say anything to me on the phone about it. It was the office of the president that call me and gave me the deal on the upgrade.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
LOBO2999 said:
I know I dont need the D AM 21's but I think I should just keep them just incase , Also will the HR 20-700 do everything the HR21's will ? I know the HD drive is smaller Right? Or when they refurb them do they put larger HD's back in them?

Thanks!
Hard drive is smaller than HR22-24, but if it becomes a problem, you can use an external drive and effectively replace the internal. The HR20 is the fastest, as they use a two chip design. I'd keep them as well.

As for the DirecTivos, they really don't want them.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
My HR20-700 has been a good box. My only "gripe" is the OTA tuner is not as robust as I'd need it to be to handle all the channels in my weak RF and multipath environment (caused by terrain). My TV and my converter box tuners are much better. I hear the AM21 is better as well. So, I am looking down the line to getting HR24s and H24s (from a store - only way to guarantee 'em and cross my fingers they will be a good ones) and AM21s for the DVRs, and do the SWM and MRV thing. The HR21, 22, 23 have not lured me away yet. The HR24 may.

·
Godfather
489 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that the HR20-700's need a little more ventilation area for them to stay happy. If it is being placed in an open area, no prob...if not, they tend to run a little hotter and this effects performance. YMMV, IMHO, and IANAL. :)

Other than that ONE thing, I'd keep the -700. I love mine and with my 1TB drive, space is not an issue.

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
LOBO2999 said:
Another thing is one of the HD tivos is a lease reciver but they didnt send me return info and they didnt say anything to me on the phone about it...
Realistically, to DTV the HR10's are junk, even though I (and plenty of others) am still running a couple and find them more reliable ever since the HR2xs started missing 2nd-broadcast recordings quite often (DTV please fix!).

Since they perceive them as junk, they really don't care if they ever see them again, and probably don't want to see them again. So the official policy is to return leased equipment, while the reality is that they really don't want you to (because then they have to deal with it). They'd rather have them clogging up your attic/landfill than their attic/landfill.

I have a 20-700 and it had been nothing but excellent and reliable, never sluggish. I prefer the 20-100 only because it is infinitely easier to replace the internal HDD. Both HR20's have always seemed snappy enough to keep me from drooling over the HR24. I'm plenty content without one.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I vote for keeping the HR20s. Love 'em!

·
Legend
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the tivo's as well, Have a lifetime DVR service so I have had tivo for some time now , I was hopping that the new Tivo would raise it's head befor the old channels went dead. Also D gave me the 2 recivers for free and I'm sure I wouldnt of gotten the new Tivo's for that . I am going to hook up the 20's after I get some recordings watch I have left on the tivos.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,763 Posts
LOBO2999 said:
1 more thing can I get the recordings off of the tivo's onto a dvd recorder after I have them turn off? I know I can while their active
Sure you can, they will be SD of course. I save a lot of movies that way and when I play them on a good player they look fine. Edit: Didn't read your post correctly, don't have them turn it off until you have made your copies. Sorry for the mistake. Keeping it active for an extra month only costs $5.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
LOBO2999 said:

Thanks!
The 20-700s are faster and more reliable than the 21 series. And more expensive to build, hence the 21 series. The HDD size is about the same except for the newer 21s, which are the 22-100 and the 23-700, both of which have a 500G HDD in them, which is still pitifully small. Don't know where the 24s fit into the grand scheme of things. They also have a 500G HDD.

Rich

·
Dad
6,606 Posts
I would gladly trade any HR, for an HR20-700. The speed, stability and built in OTA are solid reasons. Never liked my HR21/AM21 combo.

Perhaps the HR24 someday but the OTA feature is important to me.

BTW, I do say "trade" somewhat in jest. I know Directv doesn't allow it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.