DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Godfather
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HR-20 and HR21 connected to the same TV through the same Sony receiver using identical HDMI cables :)

both are set with native off and for 1080i output

the picture quality is very different between the two...the HR21 looks crisp and "HD"...even the guide/menus text is crisp and clean...

the HR-20 picture is softer...the colors are dull...the guide/menus look to be in in 480i with grainy and fuzzy text and graphics...

I'm going through the setup and everything is identical...the OTA recordings look almost the same from both DVRs, the problem is much more noticeable in the menus and in cable recordings (HBO, sci-fi...etc)...I've tested them with the exact same recordings from the exact same time...

is this an inherent problem with HR-20s or am I missing something basic?

· Godfather
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the Sony receiver is doing the switching...I tried reversing the HDMIs going to the receiver...but the degraded quality remained on the HR20...

I did that to eliminate the cable as the problem...but it works for the other test as well!

· Read Only
211 Posts
I'm having (sort of) a similar issue, but only with the menus on my new HR22.

Basically, the picture quality on all the HD channels looks great. The menu text and border quality on all the menus with a blue background (anything in the setup, middle of guide, or info bar/temporary OSD).

But the text in the upper left hand corner when I click "guide" (to the left of the mini-picture) is almost unreadable - especially the title of the program. If I change the "bars" to gray it's more readable, but it's still like bumpy text. I changed to 480p and 1080i and 720p in format, to no effect.

What's up with that? Why is everything else so clear but the text next to the picture (title, time, the word "guide") look so crappy?

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
I used to have an HR20 and an HR21 attached to the same HDTV in my living room (I now have two HR21's and the HR20 is in the HT). Both units were attached directly to the TV via HDMI (different inputs, of course).

There was absolutely no difference between the HR20 and the HR21.

I know there's no rationale for it, but have you tried hooking them up directly to the TV? Just for grins.

· Read Only
211 Posts
I can't figure out why, when viewing the guide, only the text above the grid/ to the left of the mini-picture is so F'ed up. Why is that the only text that has no background color, for example? Making the "bars" gray or "dark gray" helps, so it's clearly some kind of aliasing problem.

But none of the other menus (white on blue, yellow on blue, etc) have this problem. And none of the on-screen text on any menu-heavy channels (CNN, CNBC, etc.) have this issue.

It seems a poor design decision. We're talking about four lines or so of text (the word "guide", the channel you're browsing to, the time the program will be running and the line or two of info). In fact, the line or two of program info is in a font/size/color that makes the problem less severe.

Am I the only one having this issue? It's really weird/bad looking.

· Godfather
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grentz said:
Never noticed a difference between the HR20 and HR21 PQ to be honest, but never had them side by side.
I have...

HR20 and HR21 going though to the same TV...picture quality is much better for the HR21 when showing HD cable (e.g. HBO, ESPN...etc.) but picture quality is almost the same when showing HD from OTA...

the guide also looks very crisp on the HR21, fuzzy on the HR20...I switched the cables so the problem is with the units, not the connection...

the difference in PQ is significant...I now use the HR21 for cable recordings and the HR20 for OTA...this not only bypasses the PQ problem, but also the AM21 problem with the HR21...

· Godfather
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sigma1914 said:
Have you bypassed your switcher?
yes.

I've switched the cables to the switcher (Sony 910 receiver) and also went directly from the units to the TV using both cables (switching cables)...

it's not the switcher or the cables...both units set for 1080i...playing the exact same feed (tried it live and recorded)...I would put the PQ of the HR20 at 480p for cable channels and 1080i for OTA...HR21 is 1080i regardless...

makes no sense...but there you have it!

· AllStar
78 Posts
I noticed this too. I have 2 HR20's and 1 HR21 in a wiring closet and use component to distribute HD to several TV's. Yesterday when I was rebooting them I noticed the screen that shows the download status was a little crisper (and a little brighter) on the HR21. I've not not noticed any picture quality difference when viewing programming however.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.