DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the new Samsung 1080p DLP and had Direct TV install the new slimline dish and new DVR. I have noticed that ESPN is by far the worst station I have. Football and basketball have this weird grain over the field and court (almost like a flutter of lights and pixels). The locals do not have this problem (at least to this extreme).

Does this have to do with the update everyone is talking about?

I thought I would ride this out, but the picture has not become any better. Now I am out of my 30 day window to return the TV.

Did I buy a bum set or does this box have that many bugs? I use an HDMI cord. Do I need to down grade to the component?

I feel like a made a big mistake with my TV choice. Please help!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
smupony said:
Just bought the new Samsung 1080p DLP and had Direct TV install the new slimline dish and new DVR. I have noticed that ESPN is by far the worst station I have. Football and basketball have this weird grain over the field and court (almost like a flutter of lights and pixels). The locals do not have this problem (at least to this extreme).

Does this have to do with the update everyone is talking about?

I thought I would ride this out, but the picture has not become any better. Now I am out of my 30 day window to return the TV.

Did I buy a bum set or does this box have that many bugs? I use an HDMI cord. Do I need to down grade to the component?

I feel like a made a big mistake with my TV choice. Please help!
On your HR20:

Menu > Help & Settings > Setup > Display

Turn Native mode OFF

(then exit the menu system)

Look on the front panel of the HR20, hit the RES button until the LED for 1080i comes on.

Now...go into your Sammy and make the following adjustments to the picture:

Mode: Normal (not Dynamic)
Sharpness: 10 or less
Contrast: 70
Color Temp: Cool1
Color/Tint/Brightness all set to 50 (default of midrange)
DNIE: OFF if you have a choice

Take another looks and see if it looks better at this point.

I have a Sammy and the HDMI pix is beautiful when the D* source is good (Discovery HD theater for example). ESPN-HD pix quality is at best HD-Lite...they just don't give it enough bandwidth.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Mentor
48 Posts
smupony,

I have the Samsung LN-S4695 connected to the via both HDMI and Component cables to the HR20 and think that the ESPN HD looks great. I can not tell a difference in video quality between the HDMI and Component connection. Maybe you should try a different HDMI cable.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
mbailey said:
smupony,

I have the Samsung LN-S4695 connected to the via both HDMI and Component cables to the HR20 and think that the ESPN HD looks great. I can not tell a difference in video quality between the HDMI and Component connection. Maybe you should try a different HDMI cable.
Watch a football game on ESPN-HD and pay attention to the field in the background...it is splotchy and actually "modulates" when there is no movement. Compression artifacts. If you watch the same game at the same time OTA-HD, none of those compression artifacts are present.

Trying a different cable is a good idea, just don't get ripped off...by one from Monoprice.com...they are very good cables and cost about 17 bucks.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hasan said:
Watch a football game on ESPN-HD and pay attention to the field in the background...it is splotchy and actually "modulates" when there is no movement. Compression artifacts. If you watch the same game at the same time OTA-HD, none of those compression artifacts are present.

Trying a different cable is a good idea, just don't get ripped off...by one from Monoprice.com...they are very good cables and cost about 17 bucks.
That "modulation" is exactly what I see. Would I get this with another TV? I was dumb and bought the expensive cables from Circuit City. Do you think I need to buy more cables?

By the way, I changed up my TV set-up like the first poster recommended. I will give you an update when there is a game on to compare.

My buddies that have cable do not seem to have picture issues like this. Can I assume most of this is HR-20 issues?

Thanks for all of your help!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
smupony said:
That "modulation" is exactly what I see. Would I get this with another TV? I was dumb and bought the expensive cables from Circuit City. Do you think I need to buy more cables?

By the way, I changed up my TV set-up like the first poster recommended. I will give you an update when there is a game on to compare.

My buddies that have cable do not seem to have picture issues like this. Can I assume most of this is HR-20 issues?

I don't think there is anything wrong with your TV. You need to calibrate it (as I suggested in a detailed post above). Your buddies have the same issues unless:

1. Their TV is so poor it can't show the defects
2. They have adjusted their TVs to minimize the artifacts

Make the adjustments I recommended, then take a good look at Discovery HD Theater and tell us what you think. Then, watch a football game OTA-HD and notice how the spotches are gone, with a good feed.

Whatever defects are in the feed are going to show up on your TV...the better the TV, (and larger), the more evident the defects on the feed will be.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hasan said:
I don't think there is anything wrong with your TV. You need to calibrate it (as I suggested in a detailed post above). Your buddies have the same issues unless:

1. Their TV is so poor it can't show the defects
2. They have adjusted their TVs to minimize the artifacts

Make the adjustments I recommended, then take a good look at Discovery HD Theater and tell us what you think. Then, watch a football game OTA-HD and notice how the spotches are gone, with a good feed.

Whatever defects are in the feed are going to show up on your TV...the better the TV, (and larger), the more evident the defects on the feed will be.
Thanks for your help. For a minute, I thought I wasted $2000. It looks better. The real test will be ESPN basketball or football.

·
Mentor
35 Posts
Also seeing the same problems described here. Just connected my new Samsung LN-S4695 LCD tv tonight to my HR20 (got the 'b' sw today) via HDMI. The Discovery channel looked pretty good but I did see the grainy problem on ESPNHD during the Dallas basketball game. Trying out your suggestions for the settings.

·
Legend
104 Posts
It's easy to rule out the TV: If at least one channel looks good, like Discovery or HDNet, then the TV is fine. If it were the set causing the problems, all channels would look the same and have the exact same video problems.

You have to remember that these HD sets show much more picture resolution than a normal set can, so you will see everything in the video, both good and bad. These sets will show artifacts like the compression artifacts that normal non-HD sets simply are not capable of displaying. Of course, they are not capable of HD yet.

We are at a point in technology where the display devices are ahead of the sources. These sets can show much better video than satellite and cable are capable of delivering right now.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
We are at a point in technology where the display devices are ahead of the sources. These sets can show much better video than satellite and cable are capable of delivering right now.
That's an excellent summary of the situation. My HL-S5688 is fantastic, especially on Discovery HD Theater and some of the stuff on HD Net; MPEG4 locals mostly look pretty good too (CBS is still problematic in the Nashville market however).

Here are the settings I use, as recommended by the Samsung calibration experts on AVS Forums:

Digital NR - OFF
DNIe - Off
Mode - Movie
Contrast - 40
Brightness - 45
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - G50/R50
Color Tone - Warm2

Hope this helps.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
smupony said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Smupony:

Just wanted to let you know I have the same TV Samsung 5087, and just received my HR20 last week. I've been somewhat dissapointed :confused: and didn't know what the problem was. But I have had the exact problems as you described. (Basketball & ESPN especially w/ the modulation or pixelation). What was really dissapointing is that the reason I bought this setup was because my friend had the Samsung 5687 and the HR20 with astounding HD picture. :D I mean it was like wow! :grin:

Now that I have read the responses to your problem suggesting to change the settings, I'm hoping that will fix the problem. I spoke with my friend (witht he 5687) and he said he changed his a while back from a post of this site and thats how he got his to look so good. I know my current settings is almost exact opposite of what the earlier response recommended, so I'm hoping for a lot of improvement.

But as one other user pointed out, I do have great results with movies on Universal HD or HD Net and Discovery HD (although I do have problems with a few shows on there.) And DVD's look fantastic. So I'm sure it's not the TV. In addition I have tried two different HDMI cables (both which produce well with my Sony Upconvert DVD player.).

I'll try these setting changes tonight or over the Holiday and report back how it works! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post!
Mike

·
Godfather
262 Posts
IT IS NOT YOUR TV. ITS D* and/or ESPN.

Its called ESPN HD is about as bad as it gets on D*...I have a 55" Sony SXRD and ESPN Monday Night Football is a joke on wideshots...its amazing when I watch CBS HD football...it makes your jaw drop (on farily uncompressed MPEG4)....

Its not your TV, its an ESPN or D* compressing it down to nothing issue.

Hopefully, with the new sats, they will give ESPN room to breath.

It amazes me everytime I go into Best Buy and see all the HD sets showing their D* feeds, and thinking, man, this isnt very impressive. Its sad when their little HD/SD comparison on two diff plasmas shows very little diff ;(

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cookpr said:

Its called ESPN HD is about as bad as it gets on D*...I have a 55" Sony SXRD and ESPN Monday Night Football is a joke on wideshots...its amazing when I watch CBS HD football...it makes your jaw drop (on farily uncompressed MPEG4)....

Its not your TV, its an ESPN or D* compressing it down to nothing issue.

Hopefully, with the new sats, they will give ESPN room to breath.

It amazes me everytime I go into Best Buy and see all the HD sets showing their D* feeds, and thinking, man, this isnt very impressive. Its sad when their little HD/SD comparison on two diff plasmas shows very little diff ;(

Thanks for your insight. I was about to hang myself over this deal. Do you think if I switched to a normal HD box I will have better results? Is the HR-20 part of the problem? Will this problem ever fix itself? At this point I can't invite anyone over to watch it...

·
Godfather
262 Posts
smupony said:
Thanks for your insight. I was about to hang myself over this deal. Do you think if I switched to a normal HD box I will have better results? Is the HR-20 part of the problem? Will this problem ever fix itself? At this point I can't invite anyone over to watch it...
No, I had a nonDVR HD box before the HR20, and there is no difference.

If you want to see a real difference, you'll probably have to switch to E* or Comcast, etc.

I would, however, give D* another 6-10 months to see what shakes out....there will certainly be more HD on D* by then, the bigger question is will it be real, better, non-lite, HD.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
It's an abbreviation for DirecTV

The only source of minimally compressed TV signals is OTA-HD which you already have with the HR20. When they get more sats up, things should improve.

Adjust your TV's picture settings (and don't sit too close) and the problems will be minimized. Give yourself some time to "get used" to watching your new TV...many things "disappear" from your awareness as you beging watching the TV as a "whole" instead of "looking for imperfectons"

I can find all sorts of things if I look for them....if I stop trying to do that, most things "disappear". You should be able to watch any HD channel (except MPEG-4/HD-Locals...I have no experience with them) with a great deal of comfort and enjoyment on your particular TV. OTA-HD should be glorious!

Stick with it....the alternatives mentioned (cable...you must be kidding) are NOT the answer you might be looking for.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
machavez00 said:
I leave Movie, Dynamic, etc on default. I set custom using the THX Omptimizer. Contrast at 100, bright 45, color 60, sharp at 50
I hope you have a lamp warranty (Dynamic)

Your settings are the most aggressive I've ever seen set on a Sammy DLP and not ones I would recommend. Did you arrive at these settings using a video calibration dvd or just your own "eyes"?

I've used several of the calibration dvds and none of them resulted in sharpness above 10, color saturation above 50, contrast above 80...and of course Dynamic is about light output...

Anywho...as far as the OP goes, I wouldn't recommend the settings in the post I'm replying to...they will make your artifact problem worse, not better.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
This may have nothing to do with your problem, but Hasan is right about the viewing distance. The optimal recommended distance is at least 3-4 times the width of your screen, so if you've got a 50" TV in a 9 foot deep room for example that's not really optimal. Some people (not suggesting anyone here) just want to have the biggest TV and later realize it doesn't fit their space. I've had 2 relatives make the jump to HD and in both instances I convinced them to go smaller with their screen size because of their room sizes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.