DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...I am having a great deal of trouble with my HR-20 DVR.

All of a sudden...all the shows I have recorded this week are not playing back correctly when I try to play them from my DVR "List."

Even today I tried to record something...played it back and same thing! The shows have recorded to my DVR, however, they will not play back.

The problem is they playback extremely choppy and pause every 5 seconds. I can't watch my recordings.

I unplugged my receiver, reset the receiver, and still the same problem with the DVR.

Any suggestions on what is causing this or what I need to do to resolve this issue? Should I call DirecTV? I have the Protection Plan...

Thanks all in advance!!!

***EDIT***: I meant to also add that this is occurring with both SD & HD programming.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Hi dj,

The first question would be, "What does your live TV picture look like?"

Is it choppy like the recordings?

Also - what model HR is this? Which dish model do you have? How many other receivers and what models are in your house, if any?

Is this a new install? How long have you had this receiver?

Let's start by comparing your Live TV picture to your recordings.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Canis Lupus said:
Hi dj,

The first question would be, "What does your live TV picture look like?"

Is it choppy like the recordings?

Also - what model HR is this? Which dish model do you have? How many other receivers and what models are in your house, if any?

Is this a new install? How long have you had this receiver?

Let's start by comparing your Live TV picture to your recordings.
Hello Canis and thank you for your quick reply!

1) My Live TV picture is great...it's just when it records to the DVR...it does not play back how I am watching it live. Only the DVR'd programs are choppy.

2) HR20-100. Dish is Slimeline-5. I have 2 other receivers 1) HR21-100 (DVR works GREAT) & 2) D11-100.

3) Since September 2007 I have had this receiver.

I hope this helps! I also checked and it said both my tuners were working on the HR20-100.

Thank you again!

·
Lifetime Achiever
10,453 Posts
Sounds like something in the receiver has become corrupt.

There are basically 4 steps you can take.

1. You can try forcing a software download. Press Menu>Parental Fav's & Setup>System Setup>Reset>Restart Receiver. The lights on the front panel will shut off after several seconds. When they come back on... Press "02468" on your remote control pretty quickly. This will just force the receiver to redownload its software.

2. You can try a "Reset Everything". Be aware, this will erase all recordings, settings, favorites lists, etc... but it's at least worth a shot before you have the receiver swapped out. Press Menu>Parental Fav's & Setup>System Setup>Reset>Reset Everything.

3. You could try formatting the hard drive... This will also erase all of your settings and recordings... You can do this by rebooting the receiver... and as it reboots, press and hold the down arrow and the record button at the same time on the front panel (not on the remote)... when the record light changes to red you can let go of the buttons....

4. Call DirecTV and have them send you a replacement.

Not sure how much time you want/have to spend on this... so you could also skip straight to step 4. :)

If you have the protection plan, you should incur no charges having it swapped out. If you don't have the protection plan, be prepared to pay $19 for shipping.

Good luck, keep us posted, and feel free to ask any more questions!

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AirRocker said:
Sounds like something in the receiver has become corrupt.

There are basically 4 steps you can take.

1. You can try forcing a software download. Press Menu>Parental Fav's & Setup>System Setup>Reset>Restart Receiver. The lights on the front panel will shut off after several seconds. When they come back on... Press "02468" on your remote control pretty quickly. This will just force the receiver to redownload its software.

2. You can try a "Reset Everything". Be aware, this will erase all recordings, settings, favorites lists, etc... but it's at least worth a shot before you have the receiver swapped out. Press Menu>Parental Fav's & Setup>System Setup>Reset>Reset Everything.

3. You could try formatting the hard drive... This will also erase all of your settings and recordings... You can do this by rebooting the receiver... and as it reboots, press and hold the down arrow and the record button at the same time on the front panel (not on the remote)... when the record light changes to red you can let go of the buttons....

4. Call DirecTV and have them send you a replacement.

Not sure how much time you want/have to spend on this... so you could also skip straight to step 4. :)

If you have the protection plan, you should incur no charges having it swapped out. If you don't have the protection plan, be prepared to pay $19 for shipping.

Good luck, keep us posted, and feel free to ask any more questions!
Thank you so much for your input!!! This is extensive and exactly what I needed! Thanks again! I will follow the steps...and hopefully it's resolved.

If not..will D* upgrade my receiver to an HR21??? If not it's no big deal..but when I upgraded to HD DVR in another room...they gave me a brand new HR21, not an HR20.

Thanks...

·
Lifetime Achiever
10,453 Posts
djbarci said:
Thank you so much for your input!!! This is extensive and exactly what I needed! Thanks again! I will follow the steps...and hopefully it's resolved.

If not..will D* upgrade my receiver to an HR21??? If not it's no big deal..but when I upgraded to HD DVR in another room...they gave me a brand new HR21, not an HR20.

Thanks...
No problem! Glad to help! :)

The only drastic functional difference between the two is that the HR20 has an OTA tuner built in. Whereas, with the HR21, you would need an add on unit (AM21) in order to use your OTA antenna with it.

You will most likely get an HR21 or HR22, as HR20's are no longer being produced.

If you are using an OTA antenna with your HR20, make sure to tell them that on the front end, and they may/should include the AM21 for you at no charge.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
AirRocker said:
No problem! Glad to help! :)

The only drastic functional difference between the two is that the HR20 has an OTA tuner built in. Whereas, with the HR21, you would need an add on unit (AM21) in order to use your OTA antenna with it.

You will most likely get an HR21 or HR22, as HR20's are no longer being produced.

If you are using an OTA antenna with your HR20, make sure to tell them that on the front end, and they may/should include the AM21 for you at no charge.
Actually, if he were to swap it out as defective, he's most likely to get a refurb - HR21, maybe HR20. It's rare that they ship a new unit as a replacement for a defective unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.