DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me please!!! I have quite a lengthy story. I have been fighting with an HR 21 – 700 for quite some time. I added it a few months ago and immediately I could not get any of the new HD Channels for example:

HD Channels I could get:

HD Channels I could not get:
212,248,604, etc (the new HD channels from last year that were not already covered in the 70-100 range).

Anyway, I had three techs come out to work on the problem here is the list of what we did:

· Replace the HR 21 with a new one (actually they all tried this so I had 3)
· Rerun the wire to the multiswitch.
· Replace the multiswitch
· Replace the wallplate with new barrels
· Replace the B-band converters
· Restart the receivers about 100 times

None of this worked….still could not get the channels to come in. In the meantime, I have an HR 20-100 upstairs that works fine: gets all the channels off of the same dish. Finally, they gave me another HR 20 – 100 refurb for downstairs to replace the HR 21. Now I can get all the channels on this receiver downstairs and I think I am good to go.

This lasted for about 4 days. Last night I turn on my HR 20 upstairs (which has worked great for over a year) and what do I find??? I am again missing HD channels except this time they are totally different:

HD Channels I could get:
212,248,604 (i.e. channels I couldn’t get downstairs on the HR 21)

206,209,245c (the new HD channels from last year that were already covered in the 70-100 range).

Basically the exact opposite of the downstairs problem.

I am EXTREMELY frustrated with this and none of the techs I have worked with have a clue. I have been round and round with this and am BEGGING for any help anybody can send my way. I just don’t want to talk to customer service again because they will send down the same road with another worthless tech.

PLEEAAASSE….somebody give me something to work with.

Thanks for your help!

Joe.

· Godfather
353 Posts
At any time did a tech replace the LNB assembly? Your description seems to point to a possible multiswitch problem. There is a multiswitch built into the LNB assembly and that could be causing your problem. Get a tech out to change the LNB assembly.

· Difficulty Concen........
Directv, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, HR34-700, HR44-500, C31-700, C41-700, 2 DIRECTV SWM16, 2 Zinwell WB68
7,251 Posts
Would it be possible to swap the 2 boxes locations to see if the trouble stays or moves with the box?

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. They did not replace the LNB. I asked them to but the tech refused because he said that if the upstairs HR 20 was working then it wasn't a dish problem.

That is the one thing we haven't messed with.

· Difficulty Concen........
Directv, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, HR34-700, HR44-500, C31-700, C41-700, 2 DIRECTV SWM16, 2 Zinwell WB68
7,251 Posts
jdeem3113 said:
BTW...thanks for your help. To address the other question. We did switch the boxes when I was having trouble with the HR 21. I moved the HR 20 from upstairs to downstairs and it worked fine.
Try it again to be sure you are not dealing with new cable issues on the box that worked fine before. If both boxes have the same symptoms at the same location, you can start to isolate the trouble.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
What kind of dish do you have? If you have a Slimline get D* out to realign it. If you don't have a Slimline get D* out to install one or one of the even newer models. Easier to replace the dish than to screw around with LNBs. All the installer has to do is replace the dish itself, it can be fastened right to the stanchion that is holding your present dish and it will come with new LNBs.

When the problem starts hopping around the house as yours is, the dish is usually old or out of alignment and I don't see a realignment listed on your lengthy list of things done to your system.

Make sure you have support legs on the stanchion holding the dish. No support legs causes problems with alignment.

Rich

jdeem3113 said:
Help me please!!! I have quite a lengthy story. I have been fighting with an HR 21 - 700 for quite some time. I added it a few months ago and immediately I could not get any of the new HD Channels for example:

HD Channels I could get:

212,248,604, etc (the new HD channels from last year that were not already covered in the 70-100 range).

Anyway, I had three techs come out to work on the problem here is the list of what we did:

None of this worked….still could not get the channels to come in. In the meantime, I have an HR 20-100 upstairs that works fine: gets all the channels off of the same dish. Finally, they gave me another HR 20 - 100 refurb for downstairs to replace the HR 21. Now I can get all the channels on this receiver downstairs and I think I am good to go.

This lasted for about 4 days. Last night I turn on my HR 20 upstairs (which has worked great for over a year) and what do I find??? I am again missing HD channels except this time they are totally different:

HD Channels I could get:
212,248,604 (i.e. channels I couldn't get downstairs on the HR 21)

206,209,245c (the new HD channels from last year that were already covered in the 70-100 range).

Basically the exact opposite of the downstairs problem.

I am EXTREMELY frustrated with this and none of the techs I have worked with have a clue. I have been round and round with this and am BEGGING for any help anybody can send my way. I just don't want to talk to customer service again because they will send down the same road with another worthless tech.

PLEEAAASSE….somebody give me something to work with.

Thanks for your help!

Joe.

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
[QUOTE

QUOTE]

The next logical causes would be the connections at the LNB or the ground block. If not these, then the LNB (or the embedded multiswitch) could be the problem.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
jdeem3113 said:
I have a slimline but it was one of the first wave. It is anchored. I have had it about a year. I will give D* a call and see if they will replace the dish, LNB, and do a realignment.
That would be the path of least resistance. And the easiest thing for D* to do. Sure sounds like a dish problem.

In a situation like this, if D* gives you a hard time about replacing the dish, hang up and call Retention. Just say "Cancel Service" when the automated phone service asks you what you want to do. It will ask you if you are sure you want to cancel and reply "yes". You will be connected to a Retention CSR and they will either force the issue or refer your problems to the Case Management group. Either way, you will get your dish replaced. Fifteen minute job. Should solve your problem.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
jdeem3113 said:
Also, I don't think it is attached to the ground block.
The "ground block" that D* uses is a "union" that takes four cables in and four out and has a wire that can be connected to a real ground block. Doubt if that is your problem. Doubt if the multi-switch is the problem. Really sounds like the dish. Solved my problems which were kinda like yours.

Rich

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,502 Posts
rich584 said:
If you have a Slimline get D* out to realign it.
If any of the receivers can get the channels in question, it almost certainly isn't an alignment issue.

Regrettably, the OP didn't clearly define "HD Channels I could not get" in more certain terms (ie. 771 error or blank screen).

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
rich584 said:
The "ground block" that D* uses is a "union" that takes four cables in and four out and has a wire that can be connected to a real ground block. Doubt if that is your problem. Doubt if the multi-switch is the problem. Really sounds like the dish. Solved my problems which were kinda like yours.

Rich
The connections at the grounding block (If installed) or, the connections at the LNB or, the multiswitch embedded in the LNB assembly or, the LNB.

If the embedded multiswitch or the LNB is bad, the end result is the same: a new dish or, at least, a new LNB.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
techrep said:
The connections at the grounding block (If installed) or, the connections at the LNB or, the multiswitch embedded in the LNB assembly or, the LNB.

If the embedded multiswitch or the LNB is bad, the end result is the same: a new dish or, at least, a new LNB.
They won't bother with the LNB. A new dish is easier. Less technical and that's what a D* installer is: Less technical (no offense meant to you, Bob).

Rich

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
He doesn't need a whole new dish. He has a Slimline, and it is "anchored." He's just needs to try a new LNB, because it sounds like the built-in multi-switch in the one he has is acting up.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
K4SMX said:
He doesn't need a whole new dish. He has a Slimline, and it is "anchored." He's just needs to try a new LNB, because it sounds like the built-in multi-switch in the one he has is acting up.
Easier to just get a new dish and the installer doesn't have do anything but install the dish.

Rich

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.