DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The unit completely freezes up after pausing live tv, stays that way until I change the channel...

Ideas?

·
9 Posts
I am seeing the same problem. Clears for a short time after reset - only to return a few hours later. Also, recordings are not stored in play list. I have reformatted twice and reset 4 times. Seems to be related to OXFA software update based on the timing of the problem. Now on my 2nd HR-20 and still lots of problems.

Only thing DTV says they can do is send me another HR-20. I doubt that it would fix the problem.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Experated said:
I am seeing the same problem. Clears for a short time after reset - only to return a few hours later. Also, recordings are not stored in play list. I have reformatted twice and reset 4 times. Seems to be related to OXFA software update based on the timing of the problem. Now on my 2nd HR-20 and still lots of problems.

Only thing DTV says they can do is send me another HR-20. I doubt that it would fix the problem.
With that degree of problems, it sounds more like flaky hardware than software. A new box might very well fix the problem. I mean, "recordings are not stored in the play list" - Do you mean you record something and then go look for the recordings and they're not there? You realize that reformatting will totally erase your drive, including your old recordings, right? Are you saying that recordings made between formatting aren't there? If that's going on, and reformatting doesn't help, you definitely need a new box.

·
Cool Member
30 Posts
LameLefty said:
With that degree of problems, it sounds more like flaky hardware than software. A new box might very well fix the problem.
I disagree. I never had any problems with my HR20 prior to the EF upgrade. Now I'm having the same problem (with pause). It's really annoying. That is one of the most important and most used features of a DVR.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
jread2 said:
I disagree. I never had any problems with my HR20 prior to the EF upgrade. Now I'm having the same problem (with pause). It's really annoying. That is one of the most important and most used features of a DVR.
I wasn't talking about the problems with pause noted by the original poster, I was referring to the specific post I quoted.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
37 Posts
I'm having the same pause/freeze issue (among others). Are we saying the answer is to ask for a new box?

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
UrbanDad said:
I'm having the same pause/freeze issue (among others). Are we saying the answer is to ask for a new box?
No. I won't say that. In another thread Earl said the latest coming software update might fix it.

My box has also been doing this.

·
Icon
764 Posts
glennb said:
No. I won't say that. In another thread Earl said the latest coming software update might fix it.

My box has also been doing this.
By "latest coming software update" do you mean this one that is rolling out now, that I don't have yet---the OTA one? Or the one after that? I sure hope they fix it soon. I am getting of a mind of just treating this box like a windows computer, that needs rebooting regualrly. Get up in the morning, if its not recording anyting, reboot it!

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Was recording two shows at once: great race 10 (season finale) and extreme makeover home edition. At 52 min into the recordings, turned on the unit, pressed pause, list, selected great race, and pressed play. The unit locked up to key presses. The blue circle continues to pulse. Eventually did a red button reset. Was hoping to recover the two recordings....

On reboot, after it said rebuilding schedule data, the unit just stalled with blue pillars and a black screen in the center. Waited for a while and pressed list. All the recordings (partial) were there, but playing resulted in black screens (tried trick play to get them going). Here's where it gets worse.... EVERY recording on the unit had a black playback. That's right, even recordings I had watched before.

Finally got it to display live TV (two buffers where in use). After that, we went back and tried to watch the recordings. They all worked! Apparently something had to happen with live tv to get the decoder initialized or something.

At least part of the family gets to see the finale of the show they had recorded. I sure hope the new release is better. FA has been a step back for us.

·
AllStar
62 Posts
So we watched the partial amazing race. After it was over, deleted it, and pressed pause while in the MyPlayist list. Talked a bit, then scrolled down to select a show recorded yesterday. Pressed select to see the detailed screen, then selected play... and..... if locks up again. CAN I EVEN USE PAUSE NOW WITHOUT LOCKING UP?!?!?:nono2:

·
Legend
206 Posts
timvan said:
The unit completely freezes up after pausing live tv, stays that way until I change the channel...

Ideas?
timvan:

Do you have one or two satellite connections to your box?
I had the same issue with 0xFA before a red-button reboot.

I will try and duplicate the issue. I wonder if it is linked to the two vs one sat imput and the lack of dual buffers?

Anyone?

My two sat connection HR20 never does this, but I have seen it twice before a red-button re-boot on my single sat imput HR20.

·
AllStar
68 Posts
I have the same problem(s) "freeze after pause", along with lost Caller ID feature, and the "recorded" programs won't play syndrome. I have had to reset the HR20 4 times since it was installed in late November because of these problems.

I'm really VERY disapointed in this box. :bang I have 3 additional non-HD DVR's and I've never had to reset anyone of them.

I'm on the latest software 0x10B, forced downloaded from "Santa's" second coming.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.