DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm getting the hang of this thing. However, I am only getting a signal in one tuner. Any ideas? Yes, I reset the thing ( a few times). Yes, I checked the connections, Yes, I called Directv (they are sending a tech next week). I figured I'd ask you all if you had thoughts on this. It's brand new, and I think the install did not go correctly. It's just another thing making me miss the HR10/Tivo.

I am going to give it a few weeks. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be one of the people posting answers and shotcuts, etc. for other people's issues. It could happen.

Anyway, for now, I appreciate any ideas you may have.

·
Banned
614 Posts
kevincarney said:
I think I'm getting the hang of this thing. However, I am only getting a signal in one tuner. Any ideas? Yes, I reset the thing ( a few times). Yes, I checked the connections, Yes, I called Directv (they are sending a tech next week). I figured I'd ask you all if you had thoughts on this. It's brand new, and I think the install did not go correctly. It's just another thing making me miss the HR10/Tivo.

I am going to give it a few weeks. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be one of the people posting answers and shotcuts, etc. for other people's issues. It could happen.

Anyway, for now, I appreciate any ideas you may have.
The tech is useless, as you will soon find out, and it's going to come down to you just getting it swapped out.:D

·
AllStar
63 Posts
kevincarney said:
Tuner 1 = high 80's and 90's
Tuner 2 - many 0's and a few 70's
many 0's, like every other one? Like 0 70 0 72 0 70 0 .. ?

If so, it looks like you may have a defective 2nd Tuner. I would call and ask for a replacement. The sooner you request it, the sooner you will get it. Be aware that some areas may be experiencing long wait times to get a replacement unit. It is also possible that you will be told that they can't order a replacement and will need to call back in 3 weeks.

I don't want to put a damper on your experience, but just be aware that some of us havie been through this recently. I do hope that your experience is a good one.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HaiChinGow said:
many 0's, like every other one? Like 0 70 0 72 0 70 0 .. ?
You got it exactly. Every other one is an egg. Why wouldn't the tech have seen that?

Thanks for your wishes. I hope this goes well too. My wife doesn't understand why I wanted to get this thing in the first place. She loved Tivo/HR10. It's unbelieveable how this has really turned my life upside down. Especially with a 3 year old boy who was starting to become a Tivo addict.

I know they will put me on a list that will take forever to get a new one. I think I will stick with it though. Most people out here seem to really like it and view it as an upgrade. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
poppo said:
Just curious, did you try swapping the cables to see if the problem switches to the other tuner or stays on the same one? It might help narrow down the problem.
In addition to poppo's suggestion...............if you have a multiswitch in place, try bypassing it and run directly to the dish. Incompatible multiswitches have caused problems as well.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
I got my H20 today, and, it too only is having problem w/ dual tuners.
I can only record one show at a time. I get a "conflict" screen saying that "both" tuners are in use. A System Test shows both tuners are getting signal at 90% and 75% respectively; however, in Signal Strength it only lists results for Tuner 1. According to the tech support, there is supposed to be Tuner 2 listed there.

Today, the installer connected 2 BBC adapters to SAT IN1 and IN2. Is that okay?

They've schedule for a tech to come out next Tuesday, but I think this is a defective unit.

I also notice the following:
- System Test also Failed the phone line test. My phone line is fine.
- Antenna Setup (for OTA) is dimmed. I assume this is okay since other members are saying that this feature is not yet available.

·
Godfather
439 Posts
I just had my HR20 install yesterday and I'm having the same problem. The 2nd Tuner is bad and SUPPOSEDLY D* is supposed to call me back within 72 hours because they weren't taking orders for any units right now, even for replacements. The tech was here for 6 hours on the total install, AT9, HR20, multiswitch, etc. He tried EVERYTHING to get the 2nd tuner to work and eventually we figured its just a bad tuner and I would need a new box.

·
6 Posts
I had this same problem and fixed mine.

The thing you are going to want to check is that in the setup you have the correct D*V antenna / dish selected. In my case I did not have the 5 lnb dish yet but the box was defaulted to it. I swapped the setting to 3 lnb and everythign works fine after that.

I am trying to figure out my off air antenna currently. The HR20 will not let me go into the setting and enable that. Looking for more info on this as I type.

·
AllStar
86 Posts
This is not an uncommon problem. The installer found mine from BB had a bad second tuner and I had to replace it. BB has said that they have seen this. I have seen many other people complain of the same thing. Clearly there is a bad batch of HR20's out there.

·
AllStar
63 Posts
C6Silver said:
This is not an uncommon problem. The installer found mine from BB had a bad second tuner and I had to replace it. BB has said that they have seen this. I have seen many other people complain of the same thing. Clearly there is a bad batch of HR20's out there.
More than a bad batch. I have had 3 Hr20's with bad second tuners with different manufacture dates and many others have had the same issue. Some are wiaitng for their fourth replacement as I am with the same problem. This appears to be either a design flaw, a supplier delivering bad parts to Selectron, or a manufacturing issue that hasn't been identified until recently. Possibly the latter and the reason that no units are available for order until the issue is resolved at Selectron on the Pace line. This is purely speculation on my part. :D

·
AllStar
63 Posts
getrusty said:
I

I am trying to figure out my off air antenna currently. The HR20 will not let me go into the setting and enable that. Looking for more info on this as I type.
Off Air Antenna is currently disabled. A future software upgrade will enable it. "Before the end of the year" is the official party line.

·
Godfather
322 Posts
Sorry, I'm a little late into this thread, as I check DBStalk only from work. I "rewired" my system Saturday morning (only on the entertainment system end, didn't touch the lines outside the basement or the multiswitch), and since then I have had the same problem as dkd: It says there's a conflict, check of signal strength numbers shows that Tuner 2 is lower, but still here, but no "bar". Only thing is, my HR20 was functioning FINE with dual tuners for 3 weeks prior to this. I wonder if this is an issue with the latest release???

Is it coincidence that those of this with this problem all had Tuner 2 "go bad", not Tuner 1?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
KSbugeater said:
Is it coincidence that those of this with this problem all had Tuner 2 "go bad", not Tuner 1?
No, it is not a coincidence.

The Tuner 1 is "hardwired on" all the time.
The Tuner 2 is auto-detected at the time the unit is started up... or if the the unit determins it can not get a reliable signal on that tuner.

What happens after you reboot the systems?

·
Godfather
439 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
No, it is not a coincidence.

The Tuner 1 is "hardwired on" all the time.
The Tuner 2 is auto-detected at the time the unit is started up... or if the the unit determins it can not get a reliable signal on that tuner.

What happens after you reboot the systems?
The tech must have rebooted my box at least five times and still no luck on getting the 2nd tuner to work. My guess is that its the tuner itself, but given the problems some people have had, who knows? Any other suggestions?

·
Icon
716 Posts
tiger2005 said:
The tech must have rebooted my box at least five times and still no luck on getting the 2nd tuner to work. My guess is that its the tuner itself, but given the problems some people have had, who knows? Any other suggestions?
Don't know if this is related or not, but I had odd "tuner" issues (weird combinations of 0 signal on some transponders and other with normal signals) until I finally figured out I had created the problem. I have a 3lnb dish with a powered 5x8 terk multiswitch. The OTA is diplexed in via the multiswitch. At my HR20 I diplexed the OTA back out, split it, and connect to the HR20 ( even though OTA tuners are not turned on yet) and to another input on my TV receiver directly to be able to opt to OTA HD directly on the TV until the OTA tuners are turned on in the HR20. Fine picture on the TV tuner, but the TV input from the HR20 went south. The splitter I used after the diplexor(terk) was also a terk. Turns out that one side of the terk splitter has a voltage pass through. Once I added a dc voltage blocker to the pass through side of the splitter, voila, everything works as advertised. Somehow the voltage pass through on the splitter was grounding portions of the tuners on the HR20, probably through the input to the TV. As I said, I don't know that this is related, but I thought I had tuner issues too until I figured my self created problem out.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
After spending over an hour with D* tech support on fone to reboot, reset, unplug power, the tech support abduptly declared it was a cable connection problem, and setup an appointment for an installer to come out. I was very disappointed that he refused to acknowledge that my HR20 was defective. Anyhow, I agreed to that because there was a (very) remote chance that it may be a bad connection.
This morning, a techician came and determined within 5 mins that it was indeed a defective 2nd tuner. He also checked the outside box and switched the cables around.
He called D* to order a replacement unit for me. Now, I'm waiting for that unit to come in 2 days. What's funny was that the tech's call was being re-routed about 4 times before someone actually processed his request. I guess the word "replacement unit" is the scary word at D*.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.