DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, got my HR-20 and 5lnb dish installed today.. long time TIVO user.. can't find for the life of me how to set up a 'Season Pass'. I see I can search for programs, which I do.. then I select one, and click record series.. I selected First Run, and it still wants to record it even though its a rerun?

Most series I watch I only want first run shows, not repeats..

Also, how do I select it to only record the new episodes on one specific channel? Many shows I watch have reruns on other channels which I don't want. What am I doing wrong here? How do I setup these season passes like I did with TIVO?

· DBSTalk Club Member
1,363 Posts
setting up seasons pass easier than tivo...just hit R twice in guide with program you want highlighted...

· Mentor
48 Posts
But where is the "Season Pass Manager" where it shows you the list of shows that are to be recorded? All I can find is a Prioritizer, there used to be a Series Link but that is gone now with new updates.

· Icon
770 Posts
Zaney said:
... there used to be a Series Link but that is gone now with new updates.
I was searching for the name of that feature earlier, but couldn't find it anywhere. At least I'm not crazy!

· Cool Member
20 Posts
I have a hard time finding that as well. I've managed to get to them through the "to do" list but if you have a season pass (or whatever they call it now) and the show isn't upcoming in that list I always have to wait to find it when one gets scheduled. The menus are just not very intuitive for me. At least they changed the name VOD to playlist which makes a little more sense. Still, my DVR insists on recording reruns and first runs no matter that I set it to do only first runs. I've even confirmed this several times and still get repeats.

· Registered
5,451 Posts
I recently tested the rerun anf first time feature this past week. The listing will come up to record until it is time to record and then it will not record if it is a rerun.

Here is a thread you may be interested in to set the record default settings. Now this is a real weird way to set something up, but that is the way it is.

Taken from this thread...
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=74063

Basicly you can access the Record Defaults menu from within the record options screen of any program. So if you already have the record options screen displayed just do these steps.
1. Press Menu
2. Select Record Defaults

If not you could use the two procedures below to access Record Defaults.

Set Record Defaults using the Guide as a starting point.

1. Bring up the Guide
2. Select a future Program
3. Select either Record once or Record Series.
4. Press Menu
5. Select Record Defaults

Set Record Defaults from within the Scheduler.

1. Bring up To Do List
2. Select a Program
3. Select Record once or Record Series
4. Press Menu
5. Select Record Defaults

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
The Tips & Tricks link below gives these answers including the new terminology and the old TiVo terminology as well. The TiVo Survival Guide points out some of the features you may not expect as well as a little more detail on the transition verbiage. Links are below.

Take care,

-Craig

· Mentor
48 Posts
I've read all those links and still can't figure out how to see a list of all my Season Pass shows in one list, except for Prioritizer which doesn't do anything but let me change the order.

· Mentor
48 Posts
BUMP

ANYONE?

Does this thing not have any Season Pass Manager or anyway to organize your recorded season shows in one menu???? Prioritzer doesn't count as you can't do anything.

· Cool Member
29 Posts
Zaney said:
BUMP

ANYONE?

Does this thing not have any Season Pass Manager or anyway to organize your recorded season shows in one menu???? Prioritzer doesn't count as you can't do anything.
Hey Zaney,

I'm new here like yourself and am reluctant to jump in and offer advice for that reason, but I would love to try to help, but I'm not sure I understand your question.

When I go into Prioritizer, (which admittedly is much less intuitive and tougher to get to than with Tivo's Season Pass) I see a list of all my shows I have set up , with any future programs that are scheduled to record to the right. Just like Tivo. I also see the arrows to the left which let you move your programs up and down to deal with recording conflicts, just like (and much faster) than Tivo.

It has been awhile since I've had my Tivo box and its possible i'm not remembering exactly how it was set up, but so far, it seems to me that I can do everything in Prioritizer that I used to do in the season pass.

Please expain again what it is you're trying to do and can't.

· I am Iron Man!
1,672 Posts
Zaney said:
But where is the "Season Pass Manager" where it shows you the list of shows that are to be recorded? All I can find is a Prioritizer, there used to be a Series Link but that is gone now with new updates.
Prioritizer is it... UltimateTV handeled series recording much better as did Tibo apparently.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
Zaney said:
BUMP

ANYONE?

Zaney, the answer above about the Tips & Tricks link will solve this and much more.

Look at the sections on Prioritizer (also labeled Season Pass Manager in the Tips & Tricks) and Record. I will also include the steps for setting Record Defaults.

Here are exerps:

RECORD - Highlighted a program, Press ® RECORD - One touch record - to record one show
. . SERIES LINK - Press ® twice - to record future episodes ("Season Pass")
. . Press ® three times - to not record
. . RECORD OPTIONS - Press LIST . then Press the ● YELLOW button and then SELECT the program
. . Click Record Once for a one-time event or Record Series to record a re-occurring program
. . You can choose to "pad": Start early or Stop later, etc. Click "Record as Set" or "Record Series".
. . Suspend - You can't suspend recording but you can set First Run Only and to only save 1 Episode
. . Undocumented! - What Am I Recording? - Press LIST to see what you are recording.

PRIORITIZER (Previously know as "Season Pass Manager")
. . Decides which program to record based upon the priority you assign. Top priorities are low numbers.
Press LIST , then press the ● YELLOW button and then Click Prioritizer
. . To change the priority to a lower number (more important): Select the season pass. Press ▲ or ▼ to move.
. . To delete a Series (Season Pass), highlight the season pass in the Guide and press - DASH twice

RECORD DEFAULTS - Lets you set your default recording settings: First Run, Start Early, Stop Later, etc.
. . Press LIST , ● YELLOW button, & Select any show. Click Rec. Once, Press MENU , & then click Record Defaults.

The Tips & Tricks has much more...

- Craig

· AllStar
56 Posts
jheda said:
setting up seasons pass easier than tivo...just hit R twice in guide with program you want highlighted...
Not exactly easier. If you do what you say then you get all the episodes not the "first run". you have to go back in anyway to change it, so you might just as well go in the long way if "First Run" is what your after

· Crivens!
768 Posts
hankjr said:
Not exactly easier. If you do what you say then you get all the episodes not the "first run". you have to go back in anyway to change it, so you might just as well go in the long way if "First Run" is what your after
You can set your recording defaults so that the Double-R method of creating a Series Link creates them as First Run only. Then you only have to go change it if you want something different from your defaults. Of course, in that case, using Double-R is kinda pointless - better to use the Guide / Info / Rec. Series method.

· Godfather
394 Posts
Zaney said:
I've read all those links and still can't figure out how to see a list of all my Season Pass shows in one list, except for Prioritizer which doesn't do anything but let me change the order.
I think what you are trying to say is that you want to be able to view the future recording of a series link, right? If you go into the prioritizer and select the show that you want and press SELECT, it will bring up a list of all future shows that are going to record. You can do this for each of your SL's

I don't recall for sure, but I don't remember TIVO having another list of just Season pass shows.

If you go to the TO DO list, you can see all future shows that are set to record, both SL and one time records.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.