DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Legend
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago one of my 3 hr20s started freezing and rebooting. I called yesterday and the tech ran me through a series of steps to see if he could fix it. Nothing worked and the last step he wanted me to try was a complete reboot that would wipe the drive. I told him I would wait to see what the machine did and if it started doing it again I would take that kast step.

he noted in my account that he had ran through these steps and if I called back the receiver needed to be replaced.

So low and behold, the receiver screwed up again and I had to call up. so what happens.... the dam tech person has me start doing things all over again. Wanted me to unplug everything and go plug the until into a different wall outlet, **** that outlet receives some different power or something. So 30 minutes later we needed to swap it anyway. She was not very friendly at all and originally said I would have to play 19.95 shipping. I had no intentions of paying that but agreed just to get off the phone with er.

Few minutes later she says it is covered under warranty and the shipping is zero.

How can I have a warranty on a unit that isnt mine? It is theres??

So anyways, add me to the list of people with defective units. Ive had it maybe 6 months and first time any problems. By the way, a new software upgrade had just taken place.

· Tain't ogre til its ogre
14,768 Posts
I read the title of this thread and was thinking my HR20 never took a dump. Those dumps are smelly things for sure. So...getting past the title...

I have been reading a lot about freezes and lockups. I had one this morning on my son's HR20-700 and he is the most impatient person I know. I realize this is a software issue though and hope that the occurrences will subside so I can get the next release soon.

· Superfly
4,572 Posts
^ Totally agreed.

Why is everyone thinking this is a software issue? It seems like from the CSRs check out, it's a hardware one. The OP's DVR did take a dump. I'm sure DirecTV doesn't go through the expense of sending out a new DVR for free every time one locks up.

I will agree most lock-ups lately are software related. But with the constant re-booting, this sure sounds like bad hardware to me.

· Tain't ogre til its ogre
14,768 Posts
Carl Spock said:
^ Totally agreed.

Why is everyone thinking this is a software issue? It seems like from the CSRs check out, it's a hardware one. The OP's DVR did take a dump. I'm sure DirecTV doesn't go through the expense of sending out a new DVR for free every time one locks up.

I will agree most lock-ups lately are software related. But with the constant re-booting, this sure sounds like bad hardware to me.
I guess to your point none of us can really know unless we have the design for both the hardware and software to look at and analyze. I did surmize this based on the OP, though you have a valid point too. Hardware can also be the culprit.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Not that I have to worry because I have the PP, but just out of curiosity, the warranty on the HR2x is 90 days, right? I wonder what the effect on the terms of the warranty is based on software updates. Maybe it could be construed that each time a software update is applied, the subscriber is in effect receiving new equipment and the warranty term should restart.

· Superfly
4,572 Posts
Dream on. Ain't gonna happen.

Standard practice in the consumer electronics industry is that if a piece is replaced under warranty, the warranty remains from the original date of purchase. It doesn't cycle over. I assume the same thing would apply to any software updates.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Look, sometimes it just happens. I had a very early build HR20-700 (Aug 06) and it went down two days after the very first CE. Now, I did not open the case but when I took the DVR out of the entertainment center, I could see that the SATA cable wasn't on right. I got a new DVR, because I was still under warranty. But there's no reason to think it was the software.

· Legend
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I personally dont care if it is software or hardware, I just want it to work.

I was not real happy to spend another 30 minutes on the phone with ANOTHER tech person after I already went through that the day before. That was why the guy told me he was going to enter what we did in my account notes so if I called back I could just get it swapped.

I was very doing other things when I called and thought it would be simple.... but no, I needed to unplug everything and start going through a series of steps when I was sitting there telling her it was dead.

We sat for about 10 minutes as the DVR was trying to reboot, it was just sitting there on step one of two. 10 MINUTES before she finally agreed that it was time for a new DVR.

She was a little ...... not so much rude, but certainly not friendly. Almost like a person that hates their job. I know I certaily not enjoy speaking to her, unlike the guy the day before.

I cant help but wonder if the temps of these things (I could coook bacon on them) doesnt have something to do with failures????

· Superfly
4,572 Posts
^ A lot of people have used notebook computer pads/cooling fans with great success. They just plug into the DVR's USB connection for power and sit underneath your HR20. Keeping electronics cool is always a good idea.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Carl Spock said:
Dream on. Ain't gonna happen.

Standard practice in the consumer electronics industry is that if a piece is replaced under warranty, the warranty remains from the original date of purchase. It doesn't cycle over. I assume the same thing would apply to any software updates.
I was thinking in terms of the automotive industry. Even if the car itself is out of warranty, if you pay a dealer to install a part, or even if it's a recall, the new part installed must carry a warranty of at least 30 days. Some states require 90 days, and depending on the part (such as pollution control components) it may even be a year.

In the case of these software updates, it is basically a new "part" being installed. I'll bet there could be a legal case if D* tried to charge a customer to repair or replace a receiver that failed due to a software install, especially since the customer has no choice in accepting it or not. Of course for now, the unofficial policy in practice is that they will replace any leased receiver for $19.95 S&H, but if this were a car, they couldn't even do that.

Again, just thoughts…

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.