Twice in the last two days I had something odd happen. When I touched the unit I got an electrical shock and when I did ALL the lights on the HR-20 immediately went out. The only way to get the lights back on was to reset it. Anyone else have this happen and second, how can that possibly be good?
Are you talking about a static discharge "shock", like when you rub your feet on the carpet and then touch a metal frame and get a "shock", or are you talking about a true "electrical shock", which is the result of an electical fault in your wiring or equipment?
If, as I suspect, it is nothing more than static discharge, what is happening is the discharge is "freaking out" the HR20...I'd almost expect it to do a reset in response to this problem...but what you are doing is causing the processor in the HR20 to freak, freeze and become unresponsive. You're right, what is happening isn't good for the HR20. I would suggest you learn to touch something else to discharge the static build up before you touch the HR20. (you need to touch metal). I'm betting you have carpets, if so, picking up your feet can help
I'm surprised that the HR20 is so sensitive to static discharge (if that is the case). I don't face the problem. We don't have any carpets in the entire house, it's all ceramic tile and/or wood floors. No static build up here...when we had carpets, I used to get nailed all the time....no more.
If it is not static discharge, you need to get an electrician over to your place as soon as possible, before you kill yourself or get someone else hurt.