DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HR-20 upstairs and a HR-21 downstairs. Recently, the 21 quit getting the MPEG-4 HD channels. I swapped it with the 20, which was working perfectly, and it worked downstairs too, so i called in and asked for a replacement for the 21. I got it today, but for some reason the replacement does the same thing.

Does the 20 have better tuners or something? Is it possible i got a bad replacement? I'm kind of out of ideas here.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
There shouldn't be any difference between a HR20 & HR21 in this case.
MPEG-4 for the most part needs the BBC conversion, so the first thing to check are those "thingies" that connect to the back of the DVR on the SAT inputs.
I'd see if changing them with the ones on the working HR20 makes any difference. You may have bad BBCs.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have said this before. Before sending out a new HR-21 they sent out new BBCs, which did not fix the problem. I actually just swapped the new ones with the ones from the 20, and there was no difference.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
xenor said:
Sorry, I should have said this before. Before sending out a new HR-21 they sent out new BBCs, which did not fix the problem. I actually just swapped the new ones with the ones from the 20, and there was no difference.
Welcome to DBS Talk. Does the HR21 work when you have it upstairs?

Do a signal strength test and tell us what things look like on 103c.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
103c downstairs reads all 0. I'll take the 21 upstairs and check there.

edit: 21 reads all 0s on 103c upstairs too.

edit 2: both the new and the old 21 read 0s both upstairs and downstairs on 103c.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
xenor said:
103c downstairs reads all 0. I'll take the 21 upstairs and check there.

edit: 21 reads all 0s on 103c upstairs too.

edit 2: both the new and the old 21 read 0s both upstairs and downstairs on 103c.
So both HR21's reads 0 on 103c, both upstairs and downstairs?

If you connect the HR20 to those same leads it get's signal on 103c? Have you tried using the BBC's (the gray or black boxes that hang off the satelite inputs) from the HR20 on the HR21?

It's not a coax or multi-switch issue if the HR20 works in both places?

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Radio Enginerd said:
So both HR21's reads 0 on 103c, both upstairs and downstairs?
Yes.
Radio Enginerd said:
If you connect the HR20 to those same leads it get's signal on 103c?
Yes.
Radio Enginerd said:
Have you tried using the BBC's (the gray or black boxes that hang off the satelite inputs) from the HR20 on the HR21?
Yes. It reads the same with any of the 6 BBCs I have.
Radio Enginerd said:
It's not a coax or multi-switch issue if the HR20 works in both places?
Yes, the HR-20 works in both places. The HR-21s work in neither place. So, I wouldn't think it's a cabling or muti-switch issue. But I'm pretty darn confused as to what it could be.

·
Godfather
499 Posts
Check the config of the HR21 and make sure 5 LNB dish is selected.

·
Godfather
499 Posts
Rats. That was my one and only bright idea.

·
Godfather
499 Posts
Might be that ka sats were not found at boot time and were taken out of service. You could try switching the cables around on the box and rebooting (or even better, going thru the "repeat satellite setup" routine) to check if 103c is pass/fail.

Just reaching here, but when I first got my HR20 I forgot the bbc's on the first boot. Took a couple of reboots to get things straightened out. (It dropped the config down to 3LNB dish.)

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2dogz said:
Might be that ka sats were not found at boot time and were taken out of service. You could try switching the cables around on the box and rebooting (or even better, going thru the "repeat satellite setup" routine) to check if 103c is pass/fail.
I've repeated the setup numerous times. 103c, 99s, and 103s always fail on the HR-21s.
mhayes70 said:
Is the length of both cables from the dish to each tuner the same length and RG-6?
I don't quite understand the question... could you please explain further?

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Xenor,
I had a very similar problem. No Meg 4 on my Hr21 while my hr20 was fine. The only difference is that my hr21 would not have any meg4 channels during the day with no clouds and work fine at night or on cloudy days. The problem ended up being a weak LNB on the 103 sat out on the dish.

When I had the repair guy out, he first came to the conclusion that it was the hr21 as the hr20 worked fine when the cables were switched at the multiswitch. Hr20 worked on both multiswitch outputs while the hr21 worked on neither. He put in a new hr21 and it had the same problem (ie zeros on the signal strength on sat 103). Next he ran a test cable directly from the dish through the window to the new hr21with zeros for signal strength.

Based on this, he replaced the whole dish and put back my original hr21 and everything has worked great since. I had the old box car dish as I got the hr20 shortly after it was available. The new dish was the slimline.

It was weird that the hr20 worked on the old LnB but not the HR21. The repair guy said he had not seen this problem before.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
gobucks100 said:
Xenor,
I had a very similar problem. No Meg 4 on my Hr21 while my hr20 was fine. The only difference is that my hr21 would not have any meg4 channels during the day with no clouds and work fine at night or on cloudy days. The problem ended up being a weak LNB on the 103 sat out on the dish.

When I had the repair guy out, he first came to the conclusion that it was the hr21 as the hr20 worked fine when the cables were switched at the multiswitch. Hr20 worked on both multiswitch outputs while the hr21 worked on neither. He put in a new hr21 and it had the same problem (ie zeros on the signal strength on sat 103). Next he ran a test cable directly from the dish through the window to the new hr21with zeros for signal strength.

Based on this, he replaced the whole dish and put back my original hr21 and everything has worked great since. I had the old box car dish as I got the hr20 shortly after it was available. The new dish was the slimline.

It was weird that the hr20 worked on the old LnB but not the HR21. The repair guy said he had not seen this problem before.
a prime example of how useful this board is.

Sounds like it's time for a service call. Truly an odd issue. Congrats for stumping us. :)

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
xenor said:
I don't quite understand the question... could you please explain further?
I have had a very simular problem. I have been on here and in the chat rooms trying to figure this out. What seems to have worked for me so far is to make sure that the cable that comes from the dish or multiswitch to the back of your HR21 is about the same length. Also, make sure the cable is RG-6 that is the grade of the cable. If it is RG-59 that is not up to par and can cause problems. That is printed on the cable.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
xenor, exactly what type of dish do you have, AT-9 ("sidecar") or AU9-S ("Slimline"), and who is the manufacturer of the LNB (label on the inside face)?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
mhayes70 said:
I have had a very simular problem. I have been on here and in the chat rooms trying to figure this out. What seems to have worked for me so far is to make sure that the cable that comes from the dish or multiswitch to the back of your HR21 is about the same length. Also, make sure the cable is RG-6 that is the grade of the cable. If it is RG-59 that is not up to par and can cause problems. That is printed on the cable.
This could be a problem with power getting correctly to the LNB. Try setting the HR21 and the HR20 to the same channel and see if the HR21 works then.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
texasbrit said:
This could be a problem with power getting correctly to the LNB. Try setting the HR21 and the HR20 to the same channel and see if the HR21 works then.
I am out of town now. But, the last two days since I did the cable swap it has been working. But, yesterday before I left I was just having minor audio dropouts on TBS HD.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.