DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My second HR-21 pro no longer outputs HDMI. The cables and TV inputs are good. I can see no handshaking when the cables are plugged in. It does this regardless of which resolution is chosen. Outputs composite video just fine. Did a hard reboot and that did not fix it. Do I have yet another bad 600 dollar box?

· Registered
5,451 Posts
jumpytoad said:
My second HR-21 pro no longer outputs HDMI. The cables and TV inputs are good. I can see no handshaking when the cables are plugged in. It does this regardless of which resolution is chosen. Outputs composite video just fine. Did a hard reboot and that did not fix it. Do I have yet another bad 600 dollar box?
I know this sounds a little dumb, try unplugging the system for 10 or more minutes, plug it back in and run the setup again for satellite.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
jumpytoad said:
Spanky is right try that. After that if it doesn't uotput on HDMI any longer try your "other" cables. I hope you have the pp plan if its bad. Isn't it owned and not a leased receiver?

· AllStar
50 Posts
Quick question:

The HR21-Pro that isn't working properly... is it a pre- or post- recall unit?

If there is a small yellow sticker on the back of the unit between the two fans, then your unit is post-recall.

· Registered
5,451 Posts
If a different HDMI cable does not work, then it may be time for another call to Directv for a replacement. You wouldn't happen to have another TV that you could try do you? I will assume you have veified the correct HDMI input on the TV is being selected and used if you have more than one, try the other HDMI input(s).

· Hall Of Fame
1,043 Posts
your hdtv may need a factory reset too...my hdmi quit working once too
& had tried resetting everything with the HR20...got the tv manual out
& found out how to factory reset it & that worked...naturally i lost all my
saved settings in the tv & had to redo....so you may want to write down
your contrast, brightness etc settings...

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
A couple questions:

(1) why was your first HR21Pro non-functional?
(2) Have you made sure the HDMI switch is set properly? HR21Pros can go from HDMI over copper to HDMI over Optical. See this photo for the switch:

(3) Are you connecting directly to the TV or are you going through a receiver or switch?

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
(3) Are you connecting directly to the TV or are you going through a receiver or switch?
Also, if you are using an HDMI switch, could you note the make/model number? Is it powered or non-powered?

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TV has a total of four HDMI ports. All work with every combination of cables inputs, and devices except for the HR-21P. Switch on rear panel is set correctly. There are no HDMI switchers in the system, devices feed the TV directly. The former HR-21P was replaced due to the recall. New unit has a yellow stcker on the rear panel. Internal temps have never exceeded 109 degrees anytime that I have checked. Unit spends the vast majority (90%) of it's time in standby or recording Tom and Jerry. It is actually viewed less than 5 hours per week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.