DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Kerry said:
They say upgrade even though old dvr is dieing. Long time customer,eh they do not care. I wonder where they are no 1 in customer service.
spartanstew said:
"Maybe":
A replacement of the same type, isn't an upgrade, where changing to a new type is and always triggers a 2-year commitment, just like adding a new receiver.

I've had a HR20 "replaced" with a HR24, without the commitment, as it was "defective".
Changing a two tuner DVR for a five tuner DVR is an upgrade any way you look at it, as is changing a receiver for a DVR is.

·
Legend
147 Posts
Kerry said:
They say upgrade even though old dvr is dieing. Long time customer,eh they do not care. I wonder where they are no 1 in customer service.
Because you are simply UPGRADING your current DVR to a much better massive DVR.. Maybe if you just get a new DVR just like the one you have now then there would be no 2 year agreement.. You cant expect to get the newest thing out, the best of the best and get a really good price on it and NOT sign another 2 year contract.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,087 Posts
Though I have to say it is all a bit much to ask;

The HR34's additional capabilities notwithstanding, $399.00 just to lease the unit, plus possible installation costs, plus a new two year commitment on top of that.

And since you don't even really own it, mind you that like the others you have to send the HR34 back whenever you cancel service plus a possible ETF if you do not honor the two year commitment.

Yes, I'd say its all a bit much.

Does DIRECTV really need all this to recoup the cost of producing the receiver at a fair profit?

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
HoTat2 said:
Though I have to say it is all a bit much to ask;

The HR34's additional capabilities notwithstanding, $399.00 just to lease the unit, plus possible installation costs, plus a new two year commitment on top of that.

And since you don't even really own it, mind you that like the others you have to send the HR34 back whenever you cancel service plus a possible ETF if you do not honor the two year commitment.

Yes, I'd say its all a bit much.

Does DIRECTV really need all this to recoup the cost of producing the receiver at a fair profit?
This question has been asked since they moved to the lease model coming up on five years ago.
While I don't have the answer, the increased cost for the HR34, may have some merit. It is basically a double DVR, and the install may require a SWiM-16. I just don't see these as being "that cheap".

·
Dad
6,615 Posts
While the $399 is expensive, it won't last long.
I already see a dealer on the web offering it for $379 w/ free shipping.

I also recall the HR20 at Best Buy and Circuit City was originally $299. Now see where they are.
Similar for the HR24 when it was launched.

Early adopters pay alot. Wait until after the first six months and it will likely be more acceptable.

·
Legend
238 Posts
Interesting. I thought any time you got new equipment it was a new 2 year contract obligation. So if my HR20-700 dies and it is replaced, then I wouldn't be under a new 2 year contract? Also, would I need to have their maintenance plan for this?

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
m4p said:
Interesting. I thought any time you got new equipment it was a new 2 year contract obligation. So if my HR20-700 dies and it is replaced, then I wouldn't be under a new 2 year contract? Also, would I need to have their maintenance plan for this?
"Yes & no"
a replacement doesn't extent the contract, or their crappy refurbs would keep us under contract forever. :lol:
Without the plan, you pay for shipping [$20] or the service call.

·
Legend
238 Posts
veryoldschool said:
"Yes & no"
a replacement doesn't extent the contract, or their crappy refurbs would keep us under contract forever. :lol:
Without the plan, you pay for shipping [$20] or the service call.
Thanks, VOS, good to know. I got my HR20-700 when they first came out and it's been chugging along ok so far but you never know.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
m4p said:
Thanks, VOS, good to know. I got my HR20-700 when they first came out and it's been chugging along ok so far but you never know.
I had two from back then and were working fine too. One got retired [returned] when I moved and the other got swapped for a HR24, during my mover's connection move. Tech was already here so I asked for a 3D DVR swap [after checking he had HR24s]. :lol:

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
NR4P said:
I also recall the HR20 at Best Buy and Circuit City was originally $299.
At that time, the manufacturing cost was well upwards of $400. With the removal of the OTA tuners and going to a less fancy chipset, the cost was greatly reduced.

The driving force in the price reduction came from the competition that was offering a comparable device for under $200.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
Kerry said:
You can't go from an HR2x model to the HMC dvr as a replacement...They will replace your HR2x model with an HR2x model for as little as $20 with no contract extension. I'm sorry, but your expectations are just plain out of whack with reality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.