DBSTalk Forum banner

Hr 34

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  TBoneit 
#1 ·
I return a hr 34 I have not receive one back called dtv for me to get a new one they want me to pay another $399 to get one I have all ready payed $399 so there telling me I will be paying $ 798 for one hr 34.

#2 ·
We would need a little more information. Why did you return the HR34? Was there an issue with it so you were trying to get a replacement?

Generally, if you deactivate a receiver and then request a new one, you need to pay the up-front lease fee for the new one. So, that would possibly explain why they are charging you $399 for the second HR34.

- Merg

#4 ·
What do you mean "they can not find it"? Merg is correct, if you send a receiver back, and then re-order another, there will be a charge for the second one. You are not paying $798 for one HR34, you paid $399 for the first one, and $399 for the second one. Why did you send the first one back?

#7 ·
A Couple of questions

1. Did you get a RMA for the one you sent back?
2. Did you just ship it back without going through the proper procedures?
3. Do you have a tracking number to show it really arrived.

I can't understand why you would deactivate it. Once you do that it is off of lease and no longer on your account. It was leased, you didn't buy it. So once you deactivated it, it belongs to them again. Then when you want another one you are starting a new lease so they want the lease deposit again.

#8 ·
TBoneit said:
A Couple of questions

1. Did you get a RMA for the one you sent back?
2. Did you just ship it back without going through the proper procedures?
3. Do you have a tracking number to show it really arrived.

I can't understand why you would deactivate it. Once you do that it is off of lease and no longer on your account. It was leased, you didn't buy it. So once you deactivated it, it belongs to them again. Then when you want another one you are starting a new lease so they want the lease deposit again.
When I sent back an HR21 they deactivated it before I sent it back it with a prepaid label and box they sent, but his story isn't cohesive enough to get whatever he's saying.

#9 ·
What should have happened (as it's proceedure) is the following:

Senario 1:
1. You have a problem with your HR34; so you call DirecTV technical support. It is determined that the receiver is indeed faulty and they send out a replacement along with a return shipping label.

2. when you receive the replacement HR 34, you swap the units, call DirecTV to activate the New replacement and drop the defective unit back in the box they sent you and attach the return shipping label over the existing label. Then drop it off at USPS for shipment back to them (keeping the tear off portion of the sticker with the tracking number for your records)

3. there would have been no charge at all for this if it was less than 3 months old. If older then 3 months you would have had to pay the 19.99 for shipping unless you pay for the protection plan in which case the shipping fee would have been waived.

or

Senario 2:
1. You have a problem with your HR34; so you call DirecTV technical support. If it is determined that they can't determin the issue over the phone (as it could be a faulty wiring, a bad lnb, a bad swm power supply, a bad splitter, or indeed the receiver itself; they would roll out a service call with a tech to inspect and replace whatever was necessary.

2. If the receiver was determined to be the issue, the tech would have reaplaced it and taken back the old one as his work order designated.

3. If the installation and/or receiver was less then 3 months old, there would have been no fee at all. If if was older than 90 days you may have had to play a nominal rate for the service call.

*In either of the above senarios, you would NOT have had to replay a lease fee for the replacement.

HOWEVER as mentioned a couple of times already in this thread; if you deactivate a leased receiver it must be sent back as was indicated by directv when you called.

If you then order another HR 34 (or any model for that matter) as you did; to "replace" what you gave up it would be considered a new order and thus generate/require another lease fee to be paid.

To be blunt, if it's as you described (from the little bit of info you did give), it's not DirecTV that you should be upset with but rather yourself.

#10 ·
Did you follow the proper procedure with the HR34 you returned? Did you request and receive a recovery kit(basically an empty box except for packing material and a return shpping label with a Memphis,Tn address). If you did not do that, how and where did you send the "bad" HR34? You are not providing us with enough information to help you.

#11 ·
mak said:
It had a bad hard drive and I am not re-Oder one I just want the one I payed for and they say there is no record of it bing re turned
When you call for a replacement they send you a new one with a return label in the box, then package the defective one in the same box, attach the supplied return label and send it back.

Are these the steps you took, I only ask because the original post is somewhat confusing.

#14 ·
mak said:
It seems that it was stolen I left it out for the mail man to get and now I am out a receiver.
This could have been avoided if you had done what you were supposed to do-pack it up with the prepaid label attached and actually take it to the Post Office. Sorry if that sounds harsh but now you are stuck with a hefty non return fee.

#15 ·
"johnp37" said:
This could have been avoided if you had done what you were supposed to do-pack it up with the prepaid label attached and actually take it to the Post Office. Sorry if that sounds harsh but now you are stuck with a hefty non return fee.
It's always worked best for me to skip the middleman and the USPS leg of the route.

#17 ·
Strange story indeed. Without proof that it was delivered, you're going to have a hard time getting the charges reversed. You don't even have proof it was given to a delivery agent such as USPS or FedEX. Based on the details you provide, there is only one person who you can be upset with...

#19 ·
Since the OP essentially threw out the old HR-34 when they left it sitting out. There may be more than the $399. What is the buy cost of a HR-34. That will have to be paid since it is gone and can not be returned.

I wouldn't expect Homeowners to cover it either. No break in, no police report, No pay.
They would most likely consider it abandoned since it was left outside the home when it vanished.

Then $399 for a lease fee on a replacement.....Hmmm....

If the poster is out of commitment it may be time to move to someone that won't charge up front and be a new customer. Dishnetwork, Fios, Cable, Uverse depending on what is available. just from a financial point of view.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.